Question Graphics card not detected

Jul 9, 2019
Hi all,

I recently moved into a new place and after I set up my pc I find that none of my games will launch. :(

After some troubleshooting, I ended up clean installing windows 10 (was on windows 7 before). I reinstalled my drivers, but the graphics card driver loads and then says "This graphics driver could not find any compatible hardware". Device Manager only shows Intel HD Graphics, and when I plug a monitor into the graphics card the screen remains black. I have tried a different graphics cards, using the other pci-e slot, and lots of googleing, but I am out of ideas.

I am worried something got damaged in the move, but I've moved this computer time after time without any problems.

Motherboard: ASrock z77 extreme 4 CPU: i5 3570k

Graphics Card: EVGA GTX 970 and I also tried my MSI GTX 660ti

RAM: 16gb

PSU: OCZ 750w

icedog

Prominent
Mar 27, 2018
I dont really know what the problem is and i am quite sure that some parts have been broken. You can also try to swap out other things such as the cpu, ram and stuff but i dont think its worth to buy new parts just to test to see if its that. So i just think its a lost cause.

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
Make sure the GPU is seated in its slot. Vibrations and moving can do odd stuff. Remove, reseat.
Problem with modern GPUs is they are so heavy. PCI-E slot might not survive the stress put on it during a move. Some have reinforced the slot for that reason, the motherboard manufacturers. Not just for moving but in general.

Did the GPU problem exist before upgrading to Windows 10? Your MB is quite old, and in some ways Windows 7 specific; it even gives advice with the board using XP and a floppy disk to upgrade the BIOS. If the problem did not exist before your upgrade, I would revert back to windows 7. Looking at the manual, it recommends you use the #2 PCIe x16 slot for a single graphics card , which is the first slot, they are numbered 2,1,3. Also, in the BIOS you have a choice of what graphic device is used to boot, [Onboard], [PCI] or [PCI Express] ; the default is PCIe, but best to check.

Jul 9, 2019
Yes, the problem existed before the upgrade to windows 10.
I have also tried using different pcie slots and different graphics cards

Computer will also crash occasionally even with no graphics card

Last edited: