Graphics card not Displaying, Onboard does, Graphics card worked before.

eek98azn

Reputable
Feb 24, 2014
So my Hard Drive failed(I kicked a surge protector under my desk and it kept on turning the computer on and off or something and the Hard drive died, wouldnt spin at all, yes I know im a moron.) and I got a new hard drive + SSD Everything seems to be fine(At this point im on onboard graphis) So I uninstall the onboard through device manager and when I try to install the Graphic card driver (HD 6850) It completes, I restart but when I plug the DVI into the graphics card, I get no display. Everything was working before then Hard Drive failed and I got a new one.

Ive tried using 1 Ram stick, Uninstall onboard graphics, Driver Sweeper, Reinstall drivers again, set PCI-E on bios, Used beta drivers. (Still trying more stuff) Updating Bios didn't help.

The Graphics card does spin, the graphics card won't display but onboard does. Also there is another computer I can test the graphics card on(Would I have to uninstall the drivers on the computer or can I just plug it in the pcie and see if it will display?)

Im all out of luck and I really don't feel like taking my computer to a repair shop. Did more things die when I messed up the surge protector and what not? Does a SSD + 2TB hard drive take power away from the graphics card? I had a 1tb before. Im all ears for posibilities.

Specs:
Motherboard: ga-78lmt-usb3
Ram: 16gb 1333mhz + 1600mhz
CPU: FX-4130 3.6ghz
Storage: Kingston 120gb ssd + 2TB
Grahpics Card: Radeon HD 6850
Power Supply: 550watt (from some old Velocity computer) 28Amps

Everything was working before.

westom

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 30, 2009

Computers are supposed to have functions to avert this problem. For example, the power controller should have locked out. To reset that lockout means its power plug must be disconnected from AC mains for maybe five seconds. Why did that power controller not do its job?

PSU should also contain functions that make that hardware damage not possible. Apparently this hardware damage is traceable to the computer assembler.

Any card should first power up in text mode that was on all original IBM PCs. Drivers are installed to enable more complex graphics only after Windows loads. When a computer first powers, BIOS messages should appear in text mode on any video card. No special drivers required.

Other hardwarwe (ie memory, all drivers, etc) is ignored until the video card is setup and (if necessary) any beeps are output. Fixing those other things may have complicated the problem; added new unknowns.

More facts were found in numbers. If a disk drive can be powered via a USB port, then it is consuming 2.5 watts or less. How will a drive draw too much power from a PSU that is 550 watts? It doesn't. That question is why every relevant number is grasped as if the only life jacket on a sinking ship.

I see no facts that say a hard drive has failed. Hard drive hardware failure is unknown until its manufacturer's diagnostics are executed and say so.