[SOLVED] Graphics card overheating 100°+

alexvdm

Commendable
Jul 15, 2020
so, i have an old hd 6790 which overheats to 100+, it has new thermal paste, the cooler is placed, the fan works, and i have an alright airflow in my case ( i dont use the glass), i dont know what else could be, i though it could be the psu or a bad driver, as it doesnt seem to be anything with the card itself, i already researched about this card and the temps should be 70° degrees at 100%, my psu is an atx 800w, not the best one, but its what i can afford rn, any thoughts on this?

Solution
That is a really old GPU and from a time when the expected resolution was far lower than it is now. Given the age and this factor, it's likely just tired.

Consider that a 750ti that could be found for $30-50 is 75% faster than the 6790.

I wouldn't chase it too hard, aside from perhaps trying to reseat the cooler again. IDK if thermal pads play a part...but if that didn't work would just look for a much newer low end card to replace this with.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
That is a really old GPU and from a time when the expected resolution was far lower than it is now. Given the age and this factor, it's likely just tired.

Consider that a 750ti that could be found for $30-50 is 75% faster than the 6790.

I wouldn't chase it too hard, aside from perhaps trying to reseat the cooler again. IDK if thermal pads play a part...but if that didn't work would just look for a much newer low end card to replace this with.

Reactions: helper800
Solution

alexvdm

Commendable
Jul 15, 2020

i know, im looking forward to a gtx 750 or an hd 7850, but i have to manage this until i can buy another one

alexvdm

Commendable
Jul 15, 2020
Either improperly installed cooler (bad contact between GPU die and the cooler) or too much overclocking.
Overclock can be flashed into vBIOS. So the card might be overclocked even, if you didn't overclock it manually.
i screwed the backplate screws all the way, i didnt want to more force because i was scared of breaking it, i didnt even thought about a bios overclock, but i also really doubt it is the case