[SOLVED] Graphics card prices?!

Andy11466

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2013
Can anyone help me out here, I currently have a gtx 1080 FTW edition, I bought it when it first came out, and it was priced around $600 on amazon, my colleague of mine wants to upgrade his PC so I told him I might be able to sell mine to him and upgrade mine to a GTX 2080 super.

I currently see a RTX 2080 Super Black XC version from best buy for $750, but I am looking at prices for the Gtx 1080 FTW and it's currently around the prices for $800. Is there a specific reason why a slower model might be at a higher price? What would be a fair price to sell this graphics card at?

I know some people say the upgrade isn't worth it from a 1080 to 2080 and some say it is, but money isn't a problem, I'm just curious as to why the prices are the way they are.

Solution
I would say a 1080 could be sold for about $350 if it's in good condition.
The main reasoning for the pricing second hand for this is because you can get an RX 5700 XT for $400 brand new, however, the 1080 has an NVENC encoder on board, and in my experience NVIDIA cards are just easier to deal with when it comes to drivers and gaming without as many issues.
Yes, AMD "eventually" works out the kinks, but that takes time.
So overall, $350 is a good price, but if you were planning to sell it to him for $250, then I would say go middle ground and ask for $300.

As for people saying the 2080 isn't much faster than the 1080 that's kind of true, but not at the same time. A 2080 is more in line with a 1080 Ti, but there is a decent difference...
Can anyone help me out here, I currently have a gtx 1080 FTW edition, I bought it when it first came out, and it was priced around $600 on amazon, my colleague of mine wants to upgrade his PC so I told him I might be able to sell mine to him and upgrade mine to a GTX 2080 super.

I currently see a RTX 2080 Super Black XC version from best buy for $750, but I am looking at prices for the Gtx 1080 FTW and it's currently around the prices for $800. Is there a specific reason why a slower model might be at a higher price? What would be a fair price to sell this graphics card at?

I know some people say the upgrade isn't worth it from a 1080 to 2080 and some say it is, but money isn't a problem, I'm just curious as to why the prices are the way they are.

Prices on GPUs do not drop on retail, even on old inventory so you can't go by what newegg, amazon etc lists them for.

You must price your 1080 according to the used market, and even then you have to go by the cards that actually selling, not the ones people keep trying to sell at ridiculously high prices and no ones buying. Realistically a 1080 is in the 350-450 range right now, sometimes even lower.

Andy11466

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2013
Prices on GPUs do not drop on retail, even on old inventory so you can't go by what newegg, amazon etc lists them for.

You must price your 1080 according to the used market, and even then you have to go by the cards that actually selling, not the ones people keep trying to sell at ridiculously high prices and no ones buying. Realistically a 1080 is in the 350-450 range right now, sometimes even lower.

350-450 even seems high for a used one to me, I was honestly about to sell him mine for 250 hahah. I wanted to wait for the 3080 that people keep talking about but I might miss the chance to sell it to him

350-450 even seems high for a used one to me, I was honestly about to sell him mine for 250 hahah. I wanted to wait for the 3080 that people keep talking about but I might miss the chance to sell it to him

A GTX 1080 is roughly somewhere in between a 2060 Super and 2070 Super in performance. And Ray Tracing IMO is not a huge selling point since so few games use it and even now they take a massive hit to performance when its enabled.

If it were me I would sell the 1080 for about 300 if hes your friend, its a fair price if the cards in good shape.

Andy11466

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2013
A GTX 1080 is roughly somewhere in between a 2060 Super and 2070 Super in performance. And Ray Tracing IMO is not a huge selling point since so few games use it and even now they take a massive hit to performance when its enabled.

If it were me I would sell the 1080 for about 300 if hes your friend, its a fair price if the cards in good shape.
do you think I should wait for the 3080? I heard it was supposed to come out within a couple of months, but that's just speculation to the fact they add a new line every year or so. Didn't read too deep into it but friend of mine told me it was almost 30-50% faster than the 2080, which imo is a huge bump

do you think I should wait for the 3080? I heard it was supposed to come out within a couple of months, but that's just speculation to the fact they add a new line every year or so. Didn't read too deep into it but friend of mine told me it was almost 30-50% faster than the 2080, which imo is a huge bump

I don't know know what to tell you. I doubt its going to be a 50% or even 30% bump in performance, tech companies love putting those rumors out there but they have never been the case. If anything it will just be like every card lineup before, it will bump each card int previous lineup down a tier.

As far as when they are going to be released, who knows, the supply chain from China has been massively screwed up from COVID so even if they announce them supplies might be limited.

Its up to you to wait or buy now.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
I would say a 1080 could be sold for about $350 if it's in good condition.
The main reasoning for the pricing second hand for this is because you can get an RX 5700 XT for $400 brand new, however, the 1080 has an NVENC encoder on board, and in my experience NVIDIA cards are just easier to deal with when it comes to drivers and gaming without as many issues.
Yes, AMD "eventually" works out the kinks, but that takes time.
So overall, $350 is a good price, but if you were planning to sell it to him for $250, then I would say go middle ground and ask for $300.

As for people saying the 2080 isn't much faster than the 1080 that's kind of true, but not at the same time. A 2080 is more in line with a 1080 Ti, but there is a decent difference between the 2080 and the 2080 Super, it is faster than a 1080 Ti, so if you take that into consideration and compare that against performance of a standard 1080, then a 2080 Super is definitely an upgrade.

I would say if you WANT to upgrade, then by all means do it, and end up doing your friend a solid by giving them a good high tier performing card for a great price.

Plus, by going with RTX you do get access to Ray Tracing if and when it's available in a game, and with improvements to the new version of DX12 that will be coming, along with consoles adopting Ray Tracing, we should see a lot more titles getting the feature in the near future along with it not having a huge impact to performance like it has right now.

And you will also get access to the new NVENC encoder if you are at all interested in things like game recording, or live streaming.

But other than that, you could just sit tight with your 1080 as is if you want. Entirely up to you.

Solution