[SOLVED] Graphics card stops displaying after a few mins of use (even in bios)

Elphalpha

Honorable
Oct 25, 2013
SPECS :
I5 - 4690
asrock h97 m-itx ac
16 gb of ram
R9 280
Corsair CX-600w

I've owned this PC for 5 years, and was working fine up until a few months ago. I noticed that it started crashing every two to three hours. Since this wasn't all too much of a big deal, I ignored it. Then it started happening every 20 to 30 mins. I looked inside and didn't notice anything strange. Ultimately I ended unplugging the power from the GPU, and my PC worked completely fine with integrated graphics. I've been able to use it for several hours without issue. Recently, I wanted to see what was wrong with my GPU and if I could get it to work. Right now, the fans still spin, but the display crashes immediately. Most of the time I can get a minute or two with the GPU in the bios trying to figure out the problem. However, I didn't find anything. I was able to get lucky and get into Windows and check HW/monitor for a few mins. The gpu load for the r9 280 was at 90F/30c. The display crashed, but the fan still spins so i'm not sure if the card is even off?

tbh, I have no idea what's the issue.

Either way, I don't want to buy another GPU and find out it was the power supply all along.

Sorry for the wall of text!!

Last edited:
Solution
It could be a problem with the PSU - am I correct in assuming it's one of the old CX models with the model number or at least the CX lettering in green? The newer CX models (2017 revision) are much better and have a longer warranty.

Not to say that the GPU can't have failed after this much time as well, but the older CX has a reputation. From the write-up in the first link in my sig:
The orange and black label VS models and the green and black label CX models should be avoided. Completely. Currently we just cannot justify using one of these units. The track record is terrible and if you have one, especially if it is more than a year old, it is probably either already failing or if you are having problems, is likely the reason...

MLLapan1

Honorable
Apr 4, 2017
"I own this PC for 5 years...".
Than someone with an answer that PSU is to blame for failing GPU.
Give me a break.

The reason that Graphic Cards are weakest components today is this, always blaming everything else but not GPU, and they will continue developing bad cards for long as long as we have such behaviour.

Whenever I see problems with GPU, I am going to return it.
I did with AMD and NVidia chips, and I will continue doing it.
Driver problem you say? - Here is your card, return me money, inform me when you have working one.
Windows errors...
Flashing, flickering, VRam...
Take your card back and inform me when you are able to make working GPU.
So much about that.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
It could be a problem with the PSU - am I correct in assuming it's one of the old CX models with the model number or at least the CX lettering in green? The newer CX models (2017 revision) are much better and have a longer warranty.

Not to say that the GPU can't have failed after this much time as well, but the older CX has a reputation. From the write-up in the first link in my sig:
The orange and black label VS models and the green and black label CX models should be avoided. Completely. Currently we just cannot justify using one of these units. The track record is terrible and if you have one, especially if it is more than a year old, it is probably either already failing or if you are having problems, is likely the reason why. If you don't already have one, avoid them.

Now, we are still also talking about a video card that's a few years old. A new PSU may solve the problem, it may not. But it should be replaced anyway. Still, while the fans are spinning, make sure the fins on the heatsink aren't filled with dust as well. In fact, make sure the fans in your case are still in good working order, and nothing is obstructing your airflow.

Solution
"I own this PC for 5 years...".
Than someone with an answer that PSU is to blame for failing GPU.
Give me a break.

Very late response i apologize,
but all i did was suggest what could be wrong and i still stand by that it still could be the psu or the gpu since the whole build is old in general.
Usually black screening is indeed a problem with the psu and not the gpu.
But what do i know.

When its about the gpu i'd think there'd be some artifacting prior to the black screening but every case is different as you may know.

It's not the GPU's fault guaranteed so i would advise to not say that it is and since its a 5yr old build i really dont think that OP can return it anymore. There could be many possible solutions to this problem but closing out every other option other than the GPU is idiotic.