Jimper

Reputable
Mar 9, 2020
I recently bought a pre-built PC that has a GTX 1660 however I’ve just got a RTX 2060 Super to replace it. I know that the power goes to the GPU via a 8 pin PCIe cable however the 8 pin seems to going from a connector on the motherboard to the GPU.
Is this odd or just another way of connecting power to the GPU?

Solution
The 8 pin, on the motherboard, is different, than the type used for graphics cards. Most power supplies use a 6+2 PCI-E connector, for graphics.

PCIE-862FF-XX-PCI-Express-8p-Female-to-6p-Female-2p-Female-Power-Adapter-Cable-004.jpg
I recently bought a pre-built PC that has a GTX 1660 however I’ve just got a RTX 2060 Super to replace it. I know that the power goes to the GPU via a 8 pin PCIe cable however the 8 pin seems to going from a connector on the motherboard to the GPU.
Is this odd or just another way of connecting power to the GPU?

It's odd but no unheard of. Although I've only ever known of a Mac Pro to pass power through the motherboard. Would certainly like to know the make and model of the computer.

Jimper

Reputable
Mar 9, 2020
Are you sure the power cable is going to the motherboard and is not just routed behind it? There is no way for that motherboard to provide power like this.

I’ll double check this when back from work, I may be just be being thick.. Probably they’re just cable tied it with some RGB pin that’s going into the motherboard.