[SOLVED] Graphics card VRMs

Jan 17, 2020
hi guys i have a question ,
i have this graphics card PCB it's have small size inductor size comparing to other inductors they are large so, will this affect performance, temperatures, overclocking ?
Thanks

Solution
Short answer no. The card will do what it is built to do, if they used those components then they are good enough for the specification that was required. Are there cards with superior VRM configurations, undoubtedly, but don't let that worry you too much.

To some very small degree, larger inductors would have more thermal mass and help with dissipation a little bit, but larger inductors will have different characteristics. Those can be a positive or negative. Not 100% sure, but I imagine that larger inductors would hold a charge a little bit longer than smaller ones, that might make rapid changes in voltage/power slower. But it would depend on the materials used, internal resistance, etc. Would have to look up the inductors, the VRMs...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Short answer no. The card will do what it is built to do, if they used those components then they are good enough for the specification that was required. Are there cards with superior VRM configurations, undoubtedly, but don't let that worry you too much.

To some very small degree, larger inductors would have more thermal mass and help with dissipation a little bit, but larger inductors will have different characteristics. Those can be a positive or negative. Not 100% sure, but I imagine that larger inductors would hold a charge a little bit longer than smaller ones, that might make rapid changes in voltage/power slower. But it would depend on the materials used, internal resistance, etc. Would have to look up the inductors, the VRMs themselves, figure out how they are being used (looks like primary GPU vcore in this case) etc.

Often times, VRMs are sold with recommendations for inductor types, even brands.

Solution
Jan 17, 2020

To some very small degree, larger inductors would have more thermal mass and help with dissipation a little bit, but larger inductors will have different characteristics. Those can be a positive or negative. Not 100% sure, but I imagine that larger inductors would hold a charge a little bit longer than smaller ones, that might make rapid changes in voltage/power slower. But it would depend on the materials used, internal resistance, etc. Would have to look up the inductors, the VRMs themselves, figure out how they are being used (looks like primary GPU vcore in this case) etc.

Often times, VRMs are sold with recommendations for inductor types, even brands.
Thank you very much , sufficient answer