Graphics Chip Shipments Down 10 Percent in Q4 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
Q4 of 2012, WTF ??? it's only FEB of 2012 where I live ,I know that I am old but, I did not think that I had missed the whole year, guess xmas can't be far away ???.....:)

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
"What about the market share for discrete GPUs? That is, discounting Intel on-die graphics and AMD fusion."

Or what happens when you have a CPU with integrated graphics, but are using a discrete graphics card?

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
i predict sales being down this year because shity AMD and nVidia are increasing prices of their cards... instead of newer cards being faster for cheaper, they're just stacking them on their older cards and increasing the price...or worse, releasing newer, slower cards, but charging more.

...the good old days of price drops seem to be gone.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Recession?
Market is saturated?
Hardware is more powerful than software? I.E. There's no programs/games out there worth buying to flex our $500 video cards on?

I actually believe that the market is saturated with the low end stuff. Not everyone is a gamer/die hard overclocker either.

TidalWaveOne

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
Hey, since you know what shipments are going to be in Q4 2012, please email me what the S&P 500 will be at in Q4 2012... and the years after. Thanks.

glarimore

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
Every game you buy it tailored to be able to run on a 5-year-old console. No wonder people aren't buying new video cards.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
"Both Intel and Nvidia gained market share points over Q4 2010, 6.6 points and 0.6 points, respectively, while Nvidia dropped 6.8 points due to the firms withdrawal from the integrated graphics business."

... that sentence makes sense.

Report Here

The quarter in general

This quarter, Intel celebrated its eighth quarter of shipping its Embedded Processor Graphics CPU—EPG, a multi-function design that combines a graphics processor and CPU in the same package. Intel’s desktop EPG shipments had a very strong double digit growth in while Notebooks dropped double digits. Combined with a decrease in overall IGP chipsets, Intel came in for the quarter with a -12.3% drop from Q3.
AMD had huge 44.8% desktop double digit growth in its HPU shipments, and even good growth in their desktop IGPs. However, like Intel, its overall quarter results were down due to declining notebook sales. AMD’s overall quarter to quarter results showed a -3.4% drop.
Year to year this quarter Intel gained about 7% market share, AMD gained 2.6%, and Nvidia slipped -7% in the overall market partially due to the company withdrawing from the integrated segments.
The quarter’s change in total graphics chip shipments from last quarter decreased 10.4%, above the ten-year average of 0.83%. A little over 124 graphics chips shipped, down from 138.5 million units last quarter, and up from 114 million units this quarter a year ago.
Discrete GPUs declined almost 12% from the last quarter and were down almost 3.5% from last year for the same quarter.
Almost 93.5 million PCs shipped worldwide this quarter, an increase of 1.8% compared to last quarter (based on an average of reports from Dataquest, IDC, and HSI).

G

haha glad I wasn't the only one who caught their Geography mistake... even though I suck at Geography at least I know
Taiwan != Thailand
Thailand has bunch of Western Digital, Seagate factories, Taiwan has TSMC!

bin1127

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
most of those were intel integrated. I know they are graphic chips nonetheless, but in my mind they don't really count the same as discrete cards.

jahrasta311

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
[citation][nom]LaHawzel[/nom]What about the market share for discrete GPUs? That is, discounting Intel on-die graphics and AMD fusion.[/citation]
The market share for discrete GPUs, discounting integrated graphics, is 100%

LFaWolf

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
[citation][nom]dragonsqrrl[/nom]"Both Intel and Nvidia gained market share points over Q4 2010, 6.6 points and 0.6 points, respectively, while Nvidia dropped 6.8 points due to the firms withdrawal from the integrated graphics business."... that sentence makes sense.[/citation]

I was thinking the same thing. I think it is AMD that gained 0.6 points, and nVidia dropped 6.8 points.

Status
Not open for further replies.