Question Graphics Driver crashes abruptly while playing non intensive games, new build

Firebee

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2017
I recently built a new computer, technically 2 as i got identical parts for my partner so we have the exact same build, but while they have no issues my computer keeps having the graphics drivers crashing while playing non intensive games. Im entirely unsure what could be causing it, as I do not get any errors or warning.

BIOS Version/Date: American Megatrends International, LLC. A.E0, 2023-06-28
BIOS Mode: UEFI
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB
SSD: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB
GPU: XFX Radeon RX 6950 XT
PSU: Corsair RM850X
Cooler: Deepcool AK620

Initially I thought it was a problem with AMD's software, so I installed the drivers alone without Adrenaline and that seems to have reduced the frequency of crashes, but not stopped it. I assumed Adrenaline was causing it due to warnings popping up in the event viewer. Currently the only things I find in the event viewer are a warning stating "Display driver amduw23g stopped responding and has successfully recovered." Im not very sure what to look for in the event viewer as I only started looking at it since this issue cropped up.

The games Im running are well within my specs, and again, my partner with the same build is having no issues with the same games on higher settings then I run. Examples include Subnautica, Raft, Palworld, Final Fantasy Online, Ark Survival Ascended. Final Fantasy crashes relatively rarely compared to other games, while Ark I cant play at all as it crashes within 10 minutes. Another weird thing is that when ever the drivers crash, it crashes my game of course, and boots me back to desktop, but it also causes Discord to crash. Sometimes it breaks youtube videos if theyre running at the same time, but not always.

Firebee

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2017
Hey there,

Are all system drivers and GPU drivers up to date? Try DDU to uninstall the GPU drivers. And then install the latest one fresh.

What bios are you running?
All drivers are up to date, and graphics drivers in particular have been reinstalled a few times while initially troubleshooting.

My BIOS is A.E0 if i checked that correctly

All drivers are up to date, and graphics drivers in particular have been reinstalled a few times while initially troubleshooting.

My BIOS is A.E0 if i checked that correctly
You can check the version on CPU-z and the mainboard tab. The version you quoted isn't it. At least no according to MSI website. Latest revision is 7C91vAF.

You can find the latest bios' here and instructions on how to flash: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MAG-B550-TOMAHAWK/support

A bios update may contain fixes for all manor of problems, along with performance increase, and stability.

Worth updating if not on the correct one.