Question Graphics Issues in-game

Jun 28, 2018
Hello, i'm having a bunch of problems in some games and none in others. In one games the draw distance is extremely low and there is a visible border everywhere. Everything pops in when you get really close. In other games everything works perfectly fine.

I tried swapping my current graphics card with an old one but nothing changed. This started happening when i replaced my CPU and motherboard.

I would really appreciate any help

Jun 28, 2018
Hello, thanks for the reply! Here are my system specs:
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i7 @ 3.70GHz 30 °C
Coffee Lake 14nm Technology
RAM
16,0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1071MHz (15-15-15-36)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. ROG MAXIMUS X HERO (LGA1151)
Graphics
U28D590 (3840x2160@60Hz)
3071MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti (ASUStek Computer Inc)
Storage
931GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB (SATA (SSD))
931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EFRX-68FYTN0 (SATA )
Optical Drives
TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-224DB
Audio
High Definition Audio-Gerät

I replaced my old i7 5820k, an asus x99 motherboard and a geforce gtx 980 ti. I tried completely reinstalling drivers and reinstalling windows but nothing helped.

Well, that would rule out a Windows and driver issues on the surface if you reinstalled Windows. 16GB RAM should be sufficient as well, and a GTX 1080 ti with plenty of VRAM. Will just ask if that's a typo for the VRAM of the GTX 1080 ti.

Which drive are you using for the games? I would guess the SSD due to its capacity, but if it's the HDD (so you don't have to redownload the games) have you correctly set up the file paths in Steam, etc? Would suggest verifying game cache on the possibility something has corrupted or gone wrong.

The next step would be using MSI Afterburner to monitor performance/behaviour of the hardware while in game. I suggest CPU(all cores/threads), GPU and RAM frequencies and usage; CPU and GPU temperature; fps and frame times; and page file (usually a last resort). Let's see if there are any corresponding behaviours when you have these pop-in textures issues.

Yeah, that's texture pop-in. Plus some meshes as well. Would usually think it's more likely to occur with graphics cards with low VRAM.

I would still suggest using MSI Afterburner: https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/msi-afterburner-beta-download.html

After installing go to Settings > Monitoring > Graph to choose the previously mentioned things. You may even want a few of those in the OSD (On Screen Display) while gaming. Have the graphs logged so they can be used once you finish gaming (or just testing for data). Then perhaps it might shed some idea if it's related to the components or something else.

Jun 28, 2018
Ok, i did what you asked. From what i can see everything stays the same for the entirety of the session. I logged the data. Here's a dropbox link but i'm not sure you will be able to see it: https://www.dropbox.com/h
Hope it helps

Edit: i don't know what i was hoping would happen with that dropbox link. I don't know how dropbox works sorry

Think it might be a setting to allow public access or similar. If just screen grab/capture you could upload to a site like imgur which tends to be easier.

Meanwhile you have the data in front of you, so to speak, which values are maxing out? And what figures are being read as the maxed out value? Hoping it might shed some light about this.

Jun 28, 2018
I played a bunch of more times and all 3 times i see the same weird power drop for a while. Then i finally figured out how to make it appear on the OSD. It stopped happening then of course. Unfortunately i don't know what my PSU is. It doesn't seem to have any text on the sides. I do remember that it was quite overkill in terms of watt when i bought it a bunch of years ago.

I did notice something interesting though. I have these microlags in games. It turns out it happens every time the GPU power drops suddenly. A while ago my pc used to randomly shut down. I would wiggle the power cable a bit and it would turn back on. It stopped happening so i thought nothing of it.

Another thing that i failed to mention is that i used to have audio problems. I doubt that it's relevant but still. I basically had these weird tearing/static sounds when i was listening to music. Since you told me to use msi afterburner i noticed something really weird. Almost everytime i change the fan speed i get that static noise i used to have.

It looks like we're getting close to the solution so thank you :)

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I played a bunch of more times and all 3 times i see the same weird power drop for a while. Then i finally figured out how to make it appear on the OSD. It stopped happening then of course. Unfortunately i don't know what my PSU is. It doesn't seem to have any text on the sides. I do remember that it was quite overkill in terms of watt when i bought it a bunch of years ago.

I did notice something interesting though. I have these microlags in games. It turns out it happens every time the GPU power drops suddenly. A while ago my pc used to randomly shut down. I would wiggle the power cable a bit and it would turn back on. It stopped happening so i thought nothing of it.

Another thing that i failed to mention is that i used to have audio problems. I doubt that it's relevant but still. I basically had these weird tearing/static sounds when i was listening to music. Since you told me to use msi afterburner i noticed something really weird. Almost everytime i change the fan speed i get that static noise i used to have.

It looks like we're getting close to the solution so thank you :)

Nothing? I've never seen a non-garbage PSU that didn't have any text on the sides. There's a lot of real junk out there that either doesn't come anywhere near to the claimed wattage or uses very low-quality parts. That you had a problem with the PC randomly shutting down that involved you wiggling the power cable was an extremely serious issue; this power supply should have never been used again as it was a time bomb just waiting to go off.

Given that you've had serious safety issues that you essentially just ignored and the symptoms you describe, I wouldn't even bother diagnosing this PC further until you have a known quality power supply in there. You can very easily damage your parts if you have not already.

Jun 28, 2018
Well damn. I just assumed the power cable fell out but clearly that wasn't the case. Pretty stupid. The model is: SS-1050XM Active PFC F3.

For some reason i remember checking and not seeing anything that's my bad. It also says 80 plus gold and seasonic x-series