Jul 22, 2020
Alright, so i am running a GTX 1060 6gb, ryzen 3 2200g, 16gb ram and a 500w evga bronze psu.

I bought a ryzen 5 3600 and it came in yesterday so I went ahead and updated my BIOS using EZ Flash 3 via USB in the bios settings.
After a successful installation, I put the new CPU in, fire up the computer, go to BIOS and immediately there is when I first see the green pixels/lines on my screen.

The cursor was moving at a horrible framerate as well in the bios screen. So then i go check out what its like on my desktop. Same thing, green pixels. It had swapped my resolution from 1920x1080 to 1650x1200, and when I tried 1920x1080 60hz it was WAY worse, like a tube TV with all the fuzz.

After this disappointing outcome, I went ahead and put the old CPU back in, and then everything was back to normal, no green pixels etc, and was able to run at 1920x1080 at 75hz.

Is my new CPU using more power and therefore my GPU is now not getting enough?

Solution
Any way you can use a different PSU to test with w/o having to go out and buy one? I would try that if possible. At idle, there shouldn't be much load on the PSU no matter which CPU you have installed.

If that's not an option, can you breadboard only the necessarycomponents outside the case? Connect just motherboard, CPU and cooler, one stick RAM, PSU, GTX 1660, monitor, and keyboard. Momentarily short the two pins that the power button would connect to for starting. See if the issue is still there.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Unless you bought the CPU used, the PSU would seem to be the culprit. Not necessarily too weak, but perhaps has a failing or defective component that is struggling with the greater demand. Which Evga 500W PSU do you have and how long have you had it? Lots of gaming time on it?

Jul 22, 2020
Unless you bought the CPU used, the PSU would seem to be the culprit. Not necessarily too weak, but perhaps has a failing or defective component that is struggling with the greater demand. Which Evga 500W PSU do you have and how long have you had it? Lots of gaming time on it?

The CPU is brand-new from Amazon. The PSU is the EVGA 500 B1, 80+ Bronze 500W and I've had it for atleast 3+ years. Been gaming on it since I've had it pretty much.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Any way you can use a different PSU to test with w/o having to go out and buy one? I would try that if possible. At idle, there shouldn't be much load on the PSU no matter which CPU you have installed.

If that's not an option, can you breadboard only the necessarycomponents outside the case? Connect just motherboard, CPU and cooler, one stick RAM, PSU, GTX 1660, monitor, and keyboard. Momentarily short the two pins that the power button would connect to for starting. See if the issue is still there.

Solution
Jul 22, 2020

Problem solved, I went and bought a new PSU and it fixed the problem :) what a relief. I guess the psu was too weak after all.

Reactions: clutchc