[SOLVED] Green Screen in Certain Games (Newly Built Computer)

Jul 13, 2020
Greetings Tom's Hardware Community,

My little brother built a new computer for me, yet for some reason I can only play certain games (League of Legends, Octopath, Evil Within 2), while other games (CoD Warzone, Dota 2, AC Odyssey) green screen with a beeping sound or no sound. After the green screen I have to manually restart which brings me back to the same login background picture (usually it changes after every restart, but the green green comes back to the same background).

I am not sure what is wrong since I never built a computer before. He says all the parts should be great and there could be a defective part (that we can't return since we lost the box). He tried getting a new power supply, yet that didn't fix the issue either. There has also been a few blue screens with a stop code: VIDEO TDR FAILURE; or, VIDEO SCHEDULER INTERNAL ERROR. The blue screens occur infrequently.

The computer specs:

GPU: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Eight-Core Processor
Motherboard: ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING (Rev 1.xx)
RAM: 16.0 GB

Is there any other info I can send to help with this issue?

Solution
Right now I'm using a HDMI cable and I can try a different HDMI cable. I might swap it with a displayport cable (need to order one first). The PSU is Corsair RMX Series, RM750x, 750 Watt, 80+ Gold Certified, Fully Modular Power Supply, the old one that we returned was at 650 Watt

I switched HMDI cables yet the green screen is still happening
Do you have another systems ? If yes, try to check the GPU, if the green screen still appear, I would recommend to RMA.

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
Yes, try running DDU Display Driver Uninstaller and do a clean and restart in safe mode and install latest Adrenaline drivers and let us know. If still happening then sorry to say the video card is bad or how it is behaving with the motherboard and what not.

Reactions: GroovyOs
Jul 13, 2020
Thank you for the responses folks, I see a previous DDU version in my download folder so I'll assume that my little brother tried to reinstall the drivers. I'll give it a shot myself though and see what happens, then if that doesn't work I'll try replacing atikmpag.sys.

Jul 13, 2020
I'm having the issue still unfortunately, at first the system would crash into a black screen, stuck there for a little bit (mouse appearing and disappearing), and then restart. Then I was having "Application has been blocked from accessing Graphics hardware", which I used this to remedy: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ccessing/f50a49ef-8de2-4134-b122-07b1dab4cc78

Now it's back to the green screen within a few minutes of AC Odyssey

Steps I took to uninstall the driver:
  1. Downloaded DDU and Adrenaline
  2. Rebooted into safe mode with networking, opened DDU and no changes to settings, clicked on "GPU" then "clean and restart"
  3. After restart, clicked on Adrenaline and let it install the AMD Radeon Software (This is when the black screen happens during gameplay)
  4. I updated the Radeon Software to it's latest version (That's when the "Application has been blocked" and the green screen is happening during gameplay)
Now I'm attempting to replace the atikmpag.sys with the drivereasy application, it's showing I have a few outdated drivers which I'm going to manually update first before replacing: AMD GPIO Controller (2 of them), AMD PCI (2 of them), AMD PSP 3.0 Device, Realtek High Definition Audio, Intel(R) I211 Gigabit Network Connection ***Seems like drivereasy may contain bloatware so I did a manual update and a windows update

As for replacing the file, for me it was amdkmdag.sys, but I couldn't find the file on my system32/drivers folder, yet I can find it on my AMD folder

I'm also thinking of updating the BIOS through: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-B450-F-GAMING/HelpDesk_Download/

I believe I updated my chipset through their tool

Last edited:
I'm having the issue still unfortunately, at first the system would crash into a black screen, stuck there for a little bit (mouse appearing and disappearing), and then restart. Then I was having "Application has been blocked from accessing Graphics hardware", which I used this to remedy: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ccessing/f50a49ef-8de2-4134-b122-07b1dab4cc78

Now it's back to the green screen within a few minutes of AC Odyssey

Steps I took to uninstall the driver:
  1. Downloaded DDU and Adrenaline
  2. Rebooted into safe mode with networking, opened DDU and no changes to settings, clicked on "GPU" then "clean and restart"
  3. After restart, clicked on Adrenaline and let it install the AMD Radeon Software (This is when the black screen happens during gameplay)
  4. I updated the Radeon Software to it's latest version (That's when the "Application has been blocked" and the green screen is happening during gameplay)
Now I'm attempting to replace the atikmpag.sys with the drivereasy application, it's showing I have a few outdated drivers which I'm going to manually update first before replacing: AMD GPIO Controller (2 of them), AMD PCI (2 of them), AMD PSP 3.0 Device, Realtek High Definition Audio, Intel(R) I211 Gigabit Network Connection ***Seems like drivereasy may contain bloatware so I did a manual update and a windows update

As for replacing the file, for me it was amdkmdag.sys, but I couldn't find the file on my system32/drivers folder, yet I can find it on my AMD folder

I'm also thinking of updating the BIOS through: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-B450-F-GAMING/HelpDesk_Download/

I believe I updated my chipset through their tool
Try to use anotherdriver version :
https://www.amd.com/en/support/prev...d-radeon-rx-5700-series/amd-radeon-rx-5700-xt

Jul 13, 2020
How about swap the display port ? Change the cable ? And What PSU ?

Right now I'm using a HDMI cable and I can try a different HDMI cable. I might swap it with a displayport cable (need to order one first). The PSU is Corsair RMX Series, RM750x, 750 Watt, 80+ Gold Certified, Fully Modular Power Supply, the old one that we returned was at 650 Watt

Last edited:

Do you have another systems ? If yes, try to check the GPU, if the green screen still appear, I would recommend to RMA.

Solution
Jul 13, 2020

I don't have any others, this is the only one that was custom built by my little brother. I think I'm going to contact AMD for a return, I don't have the retail box, but it hasn't been over a year yet so hopefully I can return it.

Jul 25, 2023
Moreover, the Xerox Smart Start Printer Installer keeps your printer's firmware up to date, ensuring you always have access to the latest features, enhancements, and security patches. Regular updates help maintain peak performance and protect your device from potential vulnerabilities.

Xerox smart installer