Walkthrough GRID 2019 Video Walkthrough

I'm already a good ways into this walkthrough. If you wish, you can access my commentary on it via this link to the favorite video game thread, where I started posting it on page 121, and each page thereafter through page 126. I will from now on only post them here. https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/whats-your-favourite-video-game-youve-been-playing.1915938/page-121#post-22072359

You can also access all prior videos in the series via this link to the full playlist up to this point. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHB6vX_n-5BMy__oo_jF3vg8jKryItuF1

I post these 3 events at a time, and here's the current set of 3 just completed. This set includes TC-1 Special and Super Modified classes, and introduces the updated Stock class Jupiter from original GRID. It's far more than the mere demo derby car it was in the first game, but still hard to control. The Maximum Attack event done in the Super Modified class was relatively easy. The TC-1 Specials Asia event was quite a step up in difficulty, especially the race at Okutama. Nothing compared to the Road Race Championship event in the Stock class Jupiter though. The first two races were manageable, but the combination of the challenging fictional Crescent Valley track, along with AI scripted to drive it very fast, and the tough to handle Jupiter, made it very difficult. I couldn't even manage better than the default 16th place start position via hotlaps, but still managed to podium.

I can usually avoid the game's "Nemesis" system, where AI are scripted to retaliate once brought to that state via hitting them. I know full well I deserved their wrath in the TC-1 Specials Asia event at Zhejiang, after all, I'd spent a fair amount of time prior playing a supercross game. When 1 of the AI in the Road Race Championship at Crescent Valley raged though, he'd been hit no harder than I struck two others, whom remained calm. The raged AI did not take me out though, as I managed to stay ahead of them. Three times at the Crescent Valley race I managed to be in the lead on the last lap, once finishing in first, but the game penalized me down to 6th, and I saw no red text on my lap time, which indicates a track cut. The other 2 times, one of the two fastest AI would PIT maneuver me before I could cross the finish line.

The AI appear to be scripted to drive fastest on the last lap. This is very evident at the race in Okutama in the TC-1 Specials Asia event. At the 19:30 mark, after gaining a substantial lead taking the downhill 90 degree left onto the straight at full gas without braking, the AI somehow managed to catch all the way back up at super speed before I even got to the first turn on the uphill section.

Last edited:
OK, here's the next set of events. Here we have the GT1, Prototype, and F1000 classes.

The GT1 class event is the 4 round American GT Championship, which includes 2 races at the San Francisco Grand Prix Circuit, one of which is reverse direction, a short fast race at the Crescent Valley National Circuit track (which is fictional), and the Indianapolis Sport Circuit Reversed. The first San Fran race was relatively easy. The 2nd race at Crescent Valley was a struggle just to get a 2nd place starting position, but the race itself was pretty manageable to win. The 3rd race at Indianapolis was very rain soaked and slippery, even for the usually grippy Aston Martin Vantage, with poor visibility. I really struggled at first with this one, but eventually managed a 1st place start on hotlaps. The race itself was a bit tougher though, as the AI pressed me hard and capitalized on one slight mistake I made on the final lap. As a result, two of them passed me, but I managed to pass them back on the next turn. This race felt like it was the sole highlight of this event, until I overcame my initial struggles with the 4th reverse direction race at San Fran. which I ended up nailing with very fast times.

The 3 round Prototype event is the FA World Tour Part 2, which takes place at the Silverstone Grand Prix Circuit, the Zhejiang Full Circuit Reversed, and the Okutama Grand Circuit. Silverstone was pretty easy to get a 1st place start via Hotlaps, and win. The only real challenge being getting a good start. More often than not the Prototype cars want to almost sound like they're going to stall on starts, you really have to time it perfectly. The Zhejiang track is very tight and twisty for these cars, it took tons of perseverance and handbraking just to eek out a 2nd place start. In the race, not once but twice I made a mistake braking too late into the one hairpin turn. The first time it caused me to not be able to overtake the 1st place AI. Fortunately the 2nd time it happened, I had just enough lead to keep the AI behind me from passing me via the apex. I made one other mistake in a twisty section where an AI passed me, but I stayed glued to him and passed him back the next turn. The 3rd race at Okutama was by far the highlight of this event, and the most thrilling to race. I eventually got in a zone and nailed a 1st place start via hotlaps, but the poor starting Prototype really got on my nerves in the race. A few times I managed to keep the lead off the start, and had a pretty good race going a couple times, but I'd always make a bad mistake somewhere. I had a strong feeling this race was fated to be a catch the leader battle for me, and on one try, after taking half a lap to pass one of the AI that jumped me on the start, I decided to persevere and try to catch the leader. It took a whole 2 laps to do it, but I finally caught him, with a blistering fast 2nd lap time. The thing is though, I caught him at the start line area, and the AI always drive the start of the hillclimb just after that, very fast. I was unable to block him, so I just let him pass. We duked it out on the two big sweeping right turns on the first part of the climb, but I prevailed and managed to grind him toward the rail, and then he backed off. I then knew I could win, but on the fast left/right jog before the final part of the downhill, I took a bad line and dragged half the car over the apron and into the dirt. I almost panicked for fear the AI behind me would carry much more speed there and pass me, but he only managed to lightly tap the rear outside corner of my car. I have to tell you, this win felt FAR better than if I had had a good start and kept the lead the whole way, and it's also better to watch. It actually made me glad I blew those chances where I got a good start.

The 3rd F1000 event is a one race Invitational at the Okutama Grand Hillclimb. I was optimistic when I saw sunny skies, because when I did this race in GT1 class with overcast skies and fog, even the fairly grippy Aston Martin Vantage struggled for traction. These little Jedi F1000 cars however, while being more precise with their steering, are also lighter and can spin out easily if not careful. So you really have to be precise in turns and avoid accelerating on curbed aprons. It started out as a real struggle. I finally managed to get a 12th place start via hotlaps, and was able to fairly quickly move up to 5th once or twice, but could never quite catch the top 2 AI. I then started getting better in a few turns, letting off gas slightly vs braking, and braking harder into the 1st bridge to set up the turn better, then handbraking the sharp right turn. As well, a huge revelation was I didn't realize I could take the last part of the downhill portion just before the 2nd bridge full gas, all the way to the sharp left at the first part of the steep climb, where one good brake to set up for the right turn allowed me to go full gas into that right , then left, carrying tons of momentum up the steep section. This resulted in a 7th place start via hotlapping, and passing all but one AI in the race, getting a 2nd. I knew the finish time was good enough to potentially get a 1st place via hotllaps though, so I kept trying for a better start position. The only thing that I needed to perfect at that point was braking and accelerating out of the final 3 hairpins at the top of the climb, without losing much momentum. I then finally managed a 1st place position via a hotlap that was 1.3 sec faster than the fastest AI. I ended up winning the race with a 1 sec slower time than my hotlap, but after looking at all the checkpoints to see where I lost time, it actually had the potential to be faster than the hotlap. I had assumed the place I lost most of the time was where I brushed the rail on the apex of the 1st of the final 3 hairpins, in a panic to keep the AI from passing me on the inside, but it turned out being I was braking too cautiously in and out of the 2nd of the final 3 hairpins. This was a very thrilling race though, and a relief to get over. I have to say though, one of the pleasures of driving the Jedi F1000 cars, is they pretty much always get a good start.

Last edited:
And here's the next set of events. This set includes TC-1 Special, Stock, and Tuner classes, the latter being a new class of tuner for Time Attack. This set I completed all in one day yesterday, as the first event is 3 races, and the other two only 1 race each. I finished editing and uploading them today.

The TC-1 Special event is TC-1 Specials America, and I this time chose the BMW I used to use in prior events. The only reason I chose the Ford Capri on the last TC-1 Special event is in hopes to get a bit better handling on the tight, twisty Zhejiang track. Most everything here was more open and high speed though, save for the San Fran Sprint Circuit, and even it with all it's curb aprons, is far less stressful than Zhejiang. The San Fran race was the only one I labored a bit through, as the Crescent Valley and Indianapolis tracks were easier than expected. So here the ugly duckling, San Fran, was the highlight. I made a bone headed miscalculation at the Crescent Valley track though, forgetting the standing start of the race would be better suited to a deeper 1st turn brake point. than the rolling start of the hotlap. As a result I was rear ended harshly. LOL

The 2nd event is called Thunder in the Desert, and has you driving yet again, the Stock class Jupiter. It's an oval type race, though the Crescent Valley track you race on with it is more like a "Tri Oval". This is a tricky race on keyboard as I expected. One of the bends if you time it just right can be done just by holding down the left steer key. The next is best done via multiple taps of the steer key, as it has a different radius. The 3rd is a tighter bend, so I had to let off gas momentarily then hold down the steer key. This is a very high speed track of course, and the Jupiter can start feeling squirrelly if you're not very careful to use light taps of the steer keys to realign yourself, which I had to do a couple times when I realized I came out of a turn too close to the wall. Plus the AI get a huge draft at these speeds, so I had to block now and then to avoid being slingshotted.

The 3rd event is the Okutama Super Lap Challenge, at the Okutama Grand Circuit. This is a Time Attack event using that tuner I mentioned above. I chose the Audi R8 1:1 because it's power to weight ratio far exceeds everything else available. The real challenge in this race is dealing with the traffic. In the R8, it's easy enough to catch the AI, but passing them without incident isn't always very manageable. I managed to pass one car fairly quickly, but as I approached others, I was either on a tricky, narrow section of the track, or there were multiple cars in a long string. Thus I decided when I got the best lap the first time around by well over 5.5 sec, I'd just stay close to them, as I knew it was probably good enough for a win. I didn't want to risk an incident causing me to go off track and get penalized down to a lower finish position. Before I captured this video, I won on a just prior attempt with a 1:38.371 lap time, but since I forgot I had ShadowPlay Instant Replay set to only 5 min for Ghostrunner, it didn't capture the whole race, so I did it over. This one is about .5 sec slower, but completely clean, with no vehicle or rail contact. The other one was ugly by comparison, with contact with AI and rails, and just plain bad driving in some turns. I passed 3 AI, but two were due to their cars slowing down considerably for some reason.

Of these 3 events, the Time Attack race at Okutama stands out as the overall highlight for me. It was easily the most thrilling to race.

Last edited:
Another set of 3 events. This set includes Prototype, F1000, and Super Tourer classes. Like the last set, this is a short one, as two of the events again have only 1 race each.

The 1st event is the Prototype Super Sprint. It takes place at night at the Crescent Valley Infield Circuit. This event seemed hard to hotlap and race at first, but once I got the hang of taking the little right left jog where you head back to the straight with full gas and no brakes, it became a lot easier.

The 2nd event is the International F1000 Championship. It's a 3 race event that takes place at the Okutama Sprint Circuit at night, Shanghai's Waibaidu Way track at night, and the East Track at Zhejiang Circuit in pouring rain in the day. The Okutama race was more challenging than I expected at first, but once I got the timing down on the 2nd turn, it was more doable. The AI pressed me hard though.

The Waibaidu Way race can be tricky, there's a lot of turns you have to be careful not to carry too much speed into. You really just need to let off gas on the bridge after the start to set up a good hard left, then the hard left just after if taken well will leave a decent gap between you and the AI. There's also the little right/left, left/right jogs onto adjacent streets on the backside of the course that require precise letting off of gas, zigzagging, and accelerating, a section right after you can go full gas into a dog leg left, a hard right, then left you need to temper speed on, and a big sweeping left bend that can be tricky. I actually had it captured then decided to do it over again because despite winning, I chopped up the sweeping bend with two nervous yanks of the wheel. I found the better way to take it is to go a bit deeper into the turn, then coast a bit hard left, then go full gas the rest of the way. Other than that, taking a careful well braked hard left thereafter, will allow you to swing wide left before the right turn thereafter, allowing you to take it full gas. Then there's just a semi hard left back onto the long straight, and if you coast at the start of it, you can finish it full gas and get a serious gap on the AI. These refinements considerably lowered my lap times.

The 3rd race at Zhejiang in pouring rain was a bit nerve racking. There's really not much chance to gap the AI on a track like that, and although the AI are often slower in pouring rain, this was an exception. I ended up guarding the apexes of turns a lot, but managed to eek out a win after getting a 1st place start via hotlap.

The 3rd event is an Invitational that is a classic Group A event at the Indianapolis Road Course at night. At first I thought it was going to be all Ford Sierra RS500 Cosworths (the car you race), but there are a few Nissan Skyline GT-R (R32) cars thrown into the mix as well. This race was kind of a mixed bag for me. After numerous tries, I couldn't manage any better than a 2nd place start via hotlap. Then I got a bit picky and insisted on a result that involved no contact with AI. It was all for the better though, as by then I had gotten the feel of the car, and was gapping them pretty good on a couple of turns. Prior to that they were so close behind me they were often blinking their headlights at me. The thing is though, as I got faster, so did the AI, so lap times dropped considerably.

The highlights for me were the race at Wiabaidu Way in the F1000, and the one at Indianapolis in the RS500 Cosworth. They both require a lot of attention, and were at night with fireworks. It's a cool looking effect, and as summer approaches, it reminded me that I'm hopeful the world will get back to normal soon as more people get vaccinated.

Last edited:
Sorry that this set is a little over a week later than normal. I took some time to try Days Gone, and was engrossed in it. It's not only a very good game, it's replaced The Evil Within as my new favorite zombie survival horror game.

This set includes TC-2, Stock Muscle, and Modified classes. These are also the final events for each of these classes in the career. They are all also 4 round events.

The 1st event is the International TC-2 Championship. It takes place at Zhejiang Full Circuit, Barcelona High Street, Crescent Valley National Circuit, and Brands Hatch GP Circuit. The car I chose this time was the Volkswagen Golf GTI TCR. This is the perfect car for these events, it fit like a glove on each track, even the rain soaked race at Barcelona. I managed a 1st place start position via hotlaps on all but the Zhejiang track, where I settled for a 2nd (though secured the lead on the 1st turn).

The 2nd event is the Muscle Champions Series, which takes place at Havana Paseo de Marti, Barcelona Memorial Run, Shanghai Waibaidu Way, and San Francisco Grand Prix Circuit. The car I chose here was the Camaro SSX Concept, which by far had the best handling and speed, even at Barcelona, which again, was in heavy rain. Since these were basically street venues, I softened the suspension all the way to help the car float over the curbs. I managed a 1st place start via hotlpas on each race.

The 3rd event is the Modified Pro Tour, which takes place at Barcelona Torres Venecianes Loop, San Francisco GP, Sepang International Circiut North Track, and Zhejiang Circuit West Track Reversed. The car I chose for this event was the Honda S2000. Once again I softened the suspension all the way due to the street nature of these venues, to stay in control, over the curbs. This event had not 1 but 2 rain soaked races, at San Francisco and Zhejiang. The car handled every race admirably though. I also got a 1st place start position via hotlpas on each race, even at Zhejiang, which as said was in the rain this time.

The highlight of this set for me was the Muscle Champions Series, particularly the Barcelona Memorial Run and Shanghai Waibaidu Way races. Besides driving a heavy muscle car, the rain soaked conditions at Barcelona, and sunset start time at Shanghai, made maintaining traction and seeing turns in the dark shadows difficult.

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS