[SOLVED] Grinding noise at startup and random beeps troughout the day

Aug 5, 2020
So, when I start up my PC, there is a loud grinding sound for like 3 minutes,
and there are random beeps throughout the day which are coming from the tower itself and sound like the grinding noise.
So what is happening?

Solution
One step at a time...

Key is to identify the error and see what can be done (if anything) that directly addresses that error.

If not methodical with respect to what you do you may lose control and who knows what else will go astray or mask the problem at hand.

Yes, you may be able to (hopefully) allow third party software to delete files, make system changes and so forth.

However that can be risky especially if you do not have your system and data fully backed up.

The more you can find out the better. Post accordingly. There may be other thoughts and suggestions offered thereafter. I have no problem with that.

Ralston18

Titan
Do you have all important data on the PC backed up and proven to be both recoverable and readable?

I associate grinding noises with a failing HDD.

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

Installed drives: makes, models, capacity, how full?

Beeps: Any pattern of long and short beeps?

Look in Reliability History: any entries that you can associate with the occurring beeps?

Aug 5, 2020
Do you have all important data on the PC backed up and proven to be both recoverable and readable?

Look in Reliability History: any entries that you can associate with the occurring beeps?
So there are 2 types of "beeps".
One is just a single beep, and it happens frequently. It happens every 5 - 9 seconds.
The other one is multiple beeps very quickly (like a grinding noise), it is rarer, and happens every minute.

Also imagine the beeps like a clock tick, but more like grinding.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2020

{(2 Years of Usage)}
Specs:
OS: Windows 10 Home 1909 (64 Bit); Partially damaged installation (I won't fix it as I will new computer)
CPU: Intel Core i7 920 (1st Gen)
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GT 710 / 1GB / DDR3
RAM: 8GB DDR3 (Kingston; 1333MHz) (MXIC?)
HDD: Seagate Pipeline HD ST3500312CS

Also, during startup, the beeps are so intense, that it sounds like the pc is just grinding against a metal surface very quickly, and that lasts for ~14 minutes, while an above-average frequency of beeps then can last up to an hour.

The computer randomly slows down for no reason throughout the day. (During startup; and 4+ slowdowns throughout the day).

The hard drive speed is wild, very wild. Ranging from 3MB/S to 22MB/S

Every startup, the beeping gets worse and worse.
At first it was light beeps every 2 minutes or so, now yeah...

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
One step at a time...

Key is to identify the error and see what can be done (if anything) that directly addresses that error.

If not methodical with respect to what you do you may lose control and who knows what else will go astray or mask the problem at hand.

Yes, you may be able to (hopefully) allow third party software to delete files, make system changes and so forth.

However that can be risky especially if you do not have your system and data fully backed up.

The more you can find out the better. Post accordingly. There may be other thoughts and suggestions offered thereafter. I have no problem with that.

Solution