[SOLVED] Grounding myself without anti-static wrist wrap ?

Iamsotired

Prominent
May 8, 2022
I have read on how to ground myself, but there are some things i would like to know.

I found out I could plug in one of those laptop DC chargers and touch the metal part. But does the switch on the outlet have to be off or on?

I have read that the psu is plugged in but its switch OFF, but what about the other end? Should the switch on the outlet be on or off ?

Solution
I managed to get a hold of a local and was explained the radiators are grounded.

So what I could do:

Connect the antistatic wristband to the metal part of the radiator.

BEFORE touching the components. I touch the pc case. Either I find a silver non painted screw on it or just touch something metal of the chassis.

Then I can safely work and grab the components.

What do you think?
As long as the metal part of the wrist band is touching your flesh, you would be safe.
Since the whole point of grounding yourself is to be in contact with the electrical ground. As long as it's being made, it doesn't really matter what else is going on.

Touching the metal part of a DC charger plug is not going to work, because the DC side of a charger is physically isolated from the the rest of the system.

For the "other end" of the PSU, if you're talking about a power strip or surge protector, those cut off the "hot" connection. The ground should still be connected.

Lutfij

Titan
If your work environment has you able to make contact with a faucet or even a a tiled(non-carpeted/non-wooden)floor, you should be able to ground yourself. if your wall outlet is only 2 pronged, then you're not grounding anything. Where are you located? We should be able to provide a better answer with regards to your environment(vernacular method).

I have read on how to ground myself, but there are some things i would like to know.

I found out I could plug those DC chargers with used for laptops and touch the metal part. But does the switch on the outlet have to be off or on?

I have read that the psu is plugged in but itts switch OFF but what about the other end? Is the switch on the outlet on or off?
The safest grounding solution begins with a 3 prong grounded plug which has a special banana plug socket on the back side for connecting your anti-static device. From there you can add either a desk pad or wrist strap. Note that you do not have to actually wear the wrist strap; you can lay it on the desk with the inside metal contact facing up and just touch it when necessary.

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com...&qid=1654551415&sprefix=anti-+,aps,111&sr=8-5

https://www.amazon.com/Static-Care-Banana-Outlet-Adapter/dp/B09DTDDD7Y/ref=sr_1_10?crid=31O7TQS2XLDMN&keywords=static+wrist+strap&qid=1654551102&sprefix=static+wrist+strap,aps,126&sr=8-10

Iamsotired

Prominent
May 8, 2022
For the "other end" of the PSU, if you're talking about a power strip or surge protector, those cut off the "hot" connection. The ground should still be connected.

As the other end I am referring to the electric outlet itself. Something like this:
resources%2Fimages%2F5251569_1_large.jpg

the switch above is either off or on.

Iamsotired

Prominent
May 8, 2022
If your work environment has you able to make contact with a faucet or even a a tiled(non-carpeted/non-wooden)floor, you should be able to ground yourself. if your wall outlet is only 2 pronged, then you're not grounding anything. Where are you located? We should be able to provide a better answer with regards to your environment(vernacular method).

I'm in Denmark. So we got switches like this with on and off:

And that switch has those power strips allowing up to 4-5 plugs (3 holes as well allowing for the 3 prongs)

Wooden floor. No carpet. I got a radiator like 2 meters away from where I will build the computer. Also I have some loose metal pipes.

Come to think of it I think the AC power cord from PSU has 2 prongs.

Last edited:
I'm in Denmark. So we got switches like this with on and off:

And that switch has those power strips allowing up to 4-5 plugs (3 holes as well allowing for the 3 prongs)

Wooden floor. No carpet. I got a radiator like 2 meters away from where I will build the computer. Also I have some loose metal pipes.

Come to think of it I think the AC power cord from PSU has 2 prongs.
Two prong is unsafe on devices that are not double insulated like standard PC power supplies.

That on/off switch has nothing to do with what the power plug does, it's not connected in any way. (other than having the same ground but then everything on that power circuit has the same ground)

Also don't get too crazy about it, it is really really hard to kill anything with static electricity.
Just touch something grounded, if your radiator has a place where the metal can be seen just touch that and you should be decharged, if you think that you could be building up static charge then touch it once in a while.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXkgbmr3dRA

Reactions: Iamsotired

Iamsotired

Prominent
May 8, 2022
That on/off switch has nothing to do with what the power plug does, it's not connected in any way. (other than having the same ground but then everything on that power circuit has the same ground)

Also don't get too crazy about it, it is really really hard to kill anything with static electricity.
Just touch something grounded, if your radiator has a place where the metal can be seen just touch that and you should be decharged, if you think that you could be building up static charge then touch it once in a while.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXkgbmr3dRA

I will do that. Thank you.

Iamsotired

Prominent
May 8, 2022
https://diy.stackexchange.com/quest...itch-should-i-break-the-neutral-or-power-wire

In the US the electric code requires switches to be on the "hot" side, so yeah, ground pins should be making contact with ground regardless of the state of the switch.

Okay. I looked further into my room.

The electric outlet does not allow a third prong, but only two.

The powerstrips also has two holes rather than three. And it's plug has two prongs.

The power cord that came with the PSU (two prong)

So i managed to get an anti static band. I clip it on some no painted metal part of it. The PSU is switched off (O). The power cord is connected to the wall or powerstrip. All what I need to know is the switch on the electric outlet meant to be on or off?

Either way since there's only two prongs how is it grounded?

Okay. I looked further into my room.

The electric outlet does not allow a third prong, but only two.

The powerstrips also has two holes rather than three. And it's plug has two prongs.

The power cord that came with the PSU (two prong)

So i managed to get an anti static band. I clip it on some no painted metal part of it. The PSU is switched off (O). The power cord is connected to the wall or powerstrip. All what I need to know is the switch on the electric outlet meant to be on or off?

Either way since there's only two prongs how is it grounded?
From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_power_plugs_and_sockets, can you tell us which socket you have?

The ground may not be a pin/hole combination, or the socket may have a ground, but it's something you screw a wire from the device end onto.

Iamsotired

Prominent
May 8, 2022
From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_power_plugs_and_sockets, can you tell us which socket you have?

The ground may not be a pin/hole combination, or the socket may have a ground, but it's something you screw a wire from the device end onto.

Thank you for the reply.

Well I'm in Denmark. So I checked on the Wikipedia you provided and the sockets that are there are newer (Danish Section 107-2-D1 earthed (Type K))

The sockets I have are these to the left. They're from like "60-70's"
stikkontakt3-255x300.jpg

Again I appreciate the help.

Thank you for the reply.

Well I'm in Denmark. So I checked on the Wikipedia you provided and the sockets that are there are newer (Danish Section 107-2-D1 earthed (Type K))

The sockets I have are these to the left. They're from like "60-70's"
stikkontakt3-255x300.jpg

Again I appreciate the help.
Tell us about the radiator and metal pipes in your room. If they go to a grounded location then you could just connect the grounding strap you have to one of those. You could even run a grounding wire from your computer to those pipes if they lead to a grounded location.

Iamsotired

Prominent
May 8, 2022
Tell us about the radiator and metal pipes in your room. If they go to a grounded location then you could just connect the grounding strap you have to one of those. You could even run a grounding wire from your computer to those pipes if they lead to a grounded location.

Well it's on 4th floor. Some of the pipes are painted, others are not. The non painted They are a brass / bronze color.

I also have a trash can with a metal lid and the feet is like hard rubber. Like this:
vipp-pedalspand-30-l-vipp17.jpg

Iamsotired

Prominent
May 8, 2022

I managed to get a hold of a local and was explained the radiators are grounded.

So what I could do:

BEFORE touching the components. I touch the pc case. Either I find a silver non painted screw on it or just touch something metal of the chassis.

What do you think?

So what I could do:

What do you think?
That's enough for static electricity but that's less important than having proper ground. Aren't there any really grounded sockets in the residence ? Some appliances like electric water heaters are specially dangerous without proper ground. Heater element inside can burn thru and electrocute you when taking shower, almost happened to me when ground wire detached. Their power should be turned off when showering.

So what I could do:

What do you think?
As long as the metal part of the wrist band is touching your flesh, you would be safe.

Solution