Grrr. Stupid dvd won't read certain dvds! HELP!

Viltor

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2007
Hello all,

I hate to say it, but I must beg help of you all.

I built a new system (with friend's help) and everything runs great, except I cannot get the dvd reader to read certain things.

My system is as follows:

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

EVGA 768-P2-N831-AR GeForce 8800GTX 768MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6600

Microsoft Windows XP Home Sp2b 1pk - OEM

OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI ATX12V 700W Power Supply

OCZ Platinum 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model OCZ2P10002GK

Creative 70SB046A00000 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Professional Series

Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

EVGA 122-CK-NF68-TR LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard

Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard

LITE-ON LightScribe Black 20X DVD±R Burner with 12X DVD-RAM write Black IDE Model LH-20A1H-186

I try to install my mouse drivers for my wireless mouse or Vanguard it gives me a macromedia flash 8.0 error.

However, I installed my keyboard and other drivers via cdrom just fine, and I installed Supreme Commander without a hitch.

The message:

Macromedia Flash Player 8.0 r22 has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the incovience.

When I send the error report it says:

Problem caused by Microsoft Windows XP

Windows was temporarily unable to read your CD or DVD disk drive. In most cases, this problem is temporary and can be ignored. If the problem is recurring, we recommend that you follow the additional troubleshooting steps in this report.

Common causes of a recurring problem include:

A damaged CD or DVD drive.
A problem with the drivers for the CD or DVD drive.
Troubleshooting

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To find out if this is a temporary or recurring problem, follow these steps.

Identify the file that cannot be opened.
Click here for the steps to identify the file

Click Start, click Run, type EVENTVWR, and then click OK.
In Event Viewer, click Application log.
Click the Source column heading to organize the list.
Search for an event with a source of Application Errorand an event ID of 1005.
Double-click this event.
The file that cannot be opened will be listed in the Description box. Note the file name, and then close Event Properties.
Using the file name that you found in step 1, try to open the file on your CD or DVD drive.
If you are able to open the file, the problem might have been temporary.

If you are unable to open the file, try to open another file on the CD or DVD drive.
If you can't open other files, this might indicate that the CD drive or DVD is damaged or the device drivers might be damaged. If this is the case, we recommend you contact your computer manufacturer for assistance.

When I open the event file like it tells me to I get
"Windows cannot access the file D:\setup.exe for one of the following reasons: there is a problem with the network connection, the disk that the file is stored on, or the storage drivers installed on this computer; or the disk is missing. Windows closed the program Macromedia Flash Player 8.0 r22 because of this error.

It isn't likely it is a bad dvd drive because I got the same spec as another, we built them at the same time, and both having the same problems with the dvd drive installing games.

Any ideas? I would be most appreciative!

alcattle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
RMA the DVD, they can always be off tracking and no way for most people to fix it, even exact same drives, could have been dropped somewhere or a 100 other things. It will never be right, hope you got a good return policy.

Viltor

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2007
but why would Supreme Commander work perfectly on it if it was the drives?

I will admit I was thinking (and hopeing) it was software due to the randomness of which programs it affected.

alcattle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
it all depends on the tracking when the DVD was burnt. Also some media is less sensitive than others, there are tons of things it could be. If the discs all work on your friend but not yours, RMA it ASAP before they say something about overuse or some such thing.

lars4life

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2007
Whenever I have had media reading issues with my cd/dvd drive's I just update the drives firmware and its been fixed. Its worth a shot. Hope it fixes it for you

alcattle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
$40 is a cheap one? most people pay $30 here and get better than anything Walmart ever sold. Sounds like the update might be the answer, not up on that part

Schmide

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
I had the same problem with a liteon. Contacted the company, told me to return the drive. Newegg took it after 5 months. Kudos to them.

It was funny because, they kept sayting, couldn't it just be the media and I kept saying these are Microsoft MSDN DVDs they cost many grands its not cheep media.

Viltor

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2007
Yea I think yall are right. I flashed new firmware and same thing keeps happening. We got an external dvdrom and ran it just fine. sad that a brand new liteon component in two different computers are either bad or do not like my setup.

DIE LH - 20A1H

And pardon my noobness but uh... RMA stands for...?

All I can think of is remedial action lol.

scubageek

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
Return Merchandise Authorization

RMA

Normally a number the company wants you to put all over the outside of the box you return their merchandise to them in.

It could be the DVD disk itself.

I had a few issues with DVD rentals. Some DVDs were so scratched up, I doubted my DVD drive would read them, but the drive was able to read it. Other times the DVD seems to be in almost perfect condition, but the DVD drive could not recognize the DVD or it would freeze at certain parts of the movie.

I found that gently washing a DVD with mild soap and water sometimes fixes the issue I had.

Viltor

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2007
I FOUND IT! I bought a new dvd rom and lo and behold, I got the same error. It was the IDE drivers that came as part of the nvidea motherboard.

As soon as they were uninstalled, all problems went away.

Very very odd issue I must say.