GSM AND CDMA ???

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.cdma,alt.cellular.gsm (More info?)

I never said anything else was better. In fact I pointed out that I liked
GSM and its SIM cards. The whole point of this thread was to clarify that
people have a common misconception of how SIM cards are used.

I would say that most users take advantage of the more advanced features of
their built in storage on their current phones and end up not storing much
if anything on their SIM cards. Therefore making SIM cards really only
useful to transfer your identity from one phone to another (aka take your
phone number with you, not your phonebook). Things may have been different
in the past, but I am speaking about the present.

"Joseph" <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 19:19:03 -0700, "Halogen8"
> <lagreca@googles.email.service.com> wrote:
>
> >My point is that people don't know what a SIM can and cannot do.
> >
> >I've had ATT reps tell me (incorrectly) before when switching phones that
> >can take my phone book with me without any problems. However that is
only
> >partially correct, which is what my original post try to convey.
> >
> >When copying data from internal memory of a phone to a SIM card, quite a
bit
> >of information will not transfer. I'm referring to caller groups, phone
> >number type, multiple numbers per name, etc.
>
> OK so it's imperfect. Name something that does it better!
>
> Take your time I can wait.

GOPI

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2004
Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.cdma,alt.cellular.gsm (More info?)

"Joseph" <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 19:19:03 -0700, "Halogen8"
> <lagreca@googles.email.service.com> wrote:
> >My point is that people don't know what a SIM can and cannot do.
> >I've had ATT reps tell me (incorrectly) before when switching phones that
<snip>
> OK so it's imperfect. Name something that does it better!
>
> Take your time I can wait.

Apple's iSync.

And, presumably, similar software on other platforms.

It is possible for something to be flawed, imperfect, useful, and the
best currently available solution to a problem at the same time!

Oh, and a comment for the silly complaints about SIM prices, as if
this was inherent in the design of SIM cards: the price varies
enormously. I've seen T-Mobile SIM cards in the Czech Republic, from
the T-Mobile shop, for under US$10, with about half the price being
credit. The pricing of SIMs is much more related to the packaging,
database entry and other overheads than the cost of the chip itself.
When you buy a replacement SIM from your provider for a lot one, the
cost of re-entering your data into their database is built in to that
price.

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.cdma,alt.cellular.gsm (More info?)

Very well put, I fully agree.