GTA 4 Requirements and INFO

Status
Not open for further replies.

namelessonez

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
This post is intended to cater to queries pertaining to Grand Theft Auto 4, considering the number of queries which are being raised by way of several threads. Members are invited to add their inputs.

GTA4 has raised debates for quite some time now, as regards the ability of PC’s to run the game. By this post, an attempt is sought to be made that all queries regarding the game be posted here thereby avoiding multiple threads from being created.

GTA 4 Minimum System Requirements
• Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8Ghz or equivalent AMD Athlon X2 64 2.4Ghz
• Memory/RAM: 1GB for XP and 1.5GB for Vista
• Video Card: 256MB NVIDIA 7900 or 256MB ATI X1900
• Hard Disk Space: 16GB free
• Operating System: Windows XP SP3 or Windows Vista SP1

GTA 4 Recommended SystemRequirements
• Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4GHz or equivalent AMD Phenom X3 2.1GHz
• Memory/RAM: 2.5 GB for XP or Vista
• Video Card: 512MB NVIDIA 8600 or 512MB ATI 3870
• Hard Disk Space: 18GB free
• Operating System: Windows XP SP3 or Windows Vista SP1

While the above claim to be the minimum/ recommended specs, experience tells us that even with a high-end quad-core/ hexa-core coupled with 6870’s/ 580’s, the game doesn’t seem to perform well on maxed settings. Of course, there will be exceptions where people have managed to play the game smoothly, but it’s safe to assume that there are few who have been fortunate to do so!

General feeler’s are that the game, since originally designed for the consoles, it wasn’t really given nearly enough importance for the PC version. It is therefore a common feeling amongst PC gamers that the game is ‘badly coded’ or ‘poorly optimized’ for the PC.

To run GTA 4, a quad-core CPU seems to be the preferred choice as the game utilizes a lot of juice from the processor. As for the GPU, it really can’t be said which GPU’s are ‘minimum’ or ‘recommended’ as GPU’s across the board seem to be able to ‘run’ the game, even if on the lowest of settings. I ran it on a 9400GT 1GB for the first time with lowest settings and was rewarded with a lot of lag, still managed to play it though. I then ran it with a GTS250 1GB and it was alright on medium settings. I then ran it on a GTX470 and it ‘almost’ ran on maxed settings. It’s a resource hungry game when it comes to the PC, so the more power you have the better the performance will be.

At the end of the day, it all boils down to how well you want to run the game. The actual ‘recommended’ requirements remain a mystery even to date. Suffice to say that the more powerful your rig, the better are your chances of running the game at higher settings. If you have a console, you may want to run the game on that instead!
As always, member’s are invited to contribute their views in order to help those in need.

Sources:
www.gta4.tv/article/789662/gta-iv-pc-system-requirements-revealed/
www.technodorm.com/2008/12/30/gta-4-system-requirements/

www.grandtheftauto.ign.com/articles/news/1726/GTA-IV-PC-System-Requirements

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:IZzuhQFla7UJ:grandtheftauto.ign.com/articles/news/1726/GTA-IV-PC-System-Requirements+gta+iv+system+requirements+pc&cd=5&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=in

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:COvQF9OWZmQJ:technodorm.com/2008/12/30/gta-4-system-requirements/+gta4+system+requirements&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=in

www.kotaku.com/5049326/here-are-gta-iv-pcs-recommended-system-requirements

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:LUiauDyCuCYJ:kotaku.com/5049326/here-are-gta-iv-pcs-recommended-system-requirements+gta+iv+system+requirements+pc&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=in

namelessonez

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
There were just too many threads on the same issue, perhaps a consolidated thread may help ease out the multiplicity. :)

As for your rig, I'm sure it can manage the game, though on medium settings as your CPU is pretty good. The 5770 is what might hold you back though. I really loved the game a lot though! Pity, it didn't meet the requisite expectations on the PC.

namelessonez

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009

Already done! :)

thesantiso

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
can you please help me out here? I have an ATI HD 4670, ASUS M4A78 motherboard, 6gb RAM, and a Phenom II x4, and EVERYONE i ask tells me I should run this game (GTA 4) on really good graphics, or max graphics, but still I cannot seem to get good FPS. It happens with almost every game I play, low FPS, so I have to low the graphics. Do you know what probably be wrong? No matter what OS I'm using, no matter the drivers how updated they are, how overclocked the PC is, it still won't work.
Thank you very much

Eldd

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008

Yeah, this game is just... not running well at all, on a variety of systems. It can give you a lot of headaches if you're getting into it.

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED
two month ago i ran this game on onboard low end graphics card that is
geforce 6150se nforce430 (ddr 256mb),
processor is amd athlon 64 x2 7750 2.7ghz
with 3gb of ddr2 sdram pc2-5300 (667mhz)
it manages to give me a fps of between 5-10 in very low settings,

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED
nowadays i am running it with ati radeon hd 6770 1gb gddr5 at about 40-50 fps in maximum settings which i can select (due to 1gb video memory it does not allow me to run it in its full graphics).
now my processor is the bottle neck as it becomes 100% consumed during gameplay,
this game utilizes on up to 2gb of ram in window xp at high graphics,
graphics card reports only around 25% activity.

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED

your graphics card is letting it down

Eldd

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008

This game is CPU hungry and it would make good use of a quad core best, but I know people who run GTA IV satisfactorily with a dual core as well. So the game will run for you, most likely not at the highest details, but it will run.

What resolution do you intend to play your game at?

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED

it will run fine.
I have amd athlon 64 x2 2.7ghz and hd 6770 1gb and it runs at 40fps on high settings, and your pc is is far better than mine so you shuld be able to make it more than 60fps.
You cannot switch to highest settings due to less graphic memory as highest settings requires 1.5gb of graphics memory at 1360*768 resolution.
*Since you are building your pc try for i5-2500k which will costs around 60-80$ more*

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED

as you have set texture to high, 40-48 fps is good for these settings
On my pc it does not allow me to set texture to high due to video memory,
to improve fps SET RENDER QUALITY -> LOW (it is filtration)
shadow d -> 1
vehicle density->1 (it only increases traffic making driving a little tough at high speed)

what about your resolution

(my settings
resolution-> 1024*768
t-medium
dd-100
view distance-100
vehicle density->1
render quality->low)

Status
Not open for further replies.