Gta v Cpu bottleneck?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

yonatan111

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013
Hello.
i have A:
Gtx 970 @1500~
I5 4570 @3.2 Ghz
8 gigs ram

i am having truble with this game - when i drive it stutters every 5 seconds..
My cpu usage is 100% (!) i dont know why..
and my gpu usage is about 50 - 70 %
iv'e been told that my cpu wont be bottlenecking my gpu..

any suggestions?

thanks.

Solution

carlj91

Reputable
Apr 23, 2015

I'm using:

CPU: AMD Phenom X4 II 940 3.30 GHz
GPU: R7 265 2GB
RAM: G.Skill DDR 2 8GB

I am playing everything on ultra @ 1080p with 30fps constant. Yeah, I can't afford new hardware, but I am still PC gaming. Yeah my CPU is a bottle neck. If someone was to drop the money for a PS4 or Xbox One just save up.

I would never ever go to console gaming. I would tinker with my current hardware until the game runs great for me.

chrysalis

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2003
I think people here are just guessing.

The game is indeed high on cpu usage (not gpu).

The reason is the "advanced settings" all increase cpu (not gpu) usage.

e.g. if you extend the distance scaling cars are been processed at a longer distance and the cpu has more work to do.

If you struggling with cpu usage with all advanced graphics options off/min then you need to overclock or get a better cpu :(

Honestly 90+ % of these post are people whom don't have a clue on how a computer works, just like they have no clue how their car works NOR CARE to understand. They want simple 'light switch' solutions. All they need to do is 'flip the switch' on or off and it does it, nothing else to think about or 'know', so why do they need to know 'more' "just to play a game". Well same answer mechanics say "if you don't know anything then how do you know what works and what does?"

Basics 101 for anyone viewing this:

1) Hardware is expected to be used "five days a week no more then 8 hours a day", and based on that criteria, all the hardware (doesn't matter which one you point to) is only warrantied normally for THREE years from time of purchase to 'work as sold'. Once you are over three years, the makers all say your using it 'at risk', which is to say it may just 'die' or act bad for 'no reason' simply because you wore it out (YES computer hardware does wear down).

In order

2) CODE : Be it Windows, Word, Drivers, Antivirus, Chrome, Steam, GTA V, etc. is stored on the Hard Drive, that is where it stays always. If the HDD is slow (5400RPM, using SATA II connection, etc.) this will affect EVERY piece of software coming off it. If the HDD is failing (see #1 above) the 'code' coming off it will be 'screwy' and WIndows/etc. can't and will never be able to "work around it". Weird things happen once the code isn't PERFECT as it was first made.

3) Memory: Code stored on the HDD is 'pulled' (read) to RAM in small 'chunks at a time'. The more RAM, the more 'chunks' of CODE can be pulled to be used to 'do stuff'. The more stuff you want to do at the same time (aka multitask) the more RAM you need. Low end RAM (DDR2) or slower RAM (Below 1066Mhz ) the SLOWER it will take and pass on the 'chunks of code' it pulls and then passes along.

4) CPU: CPUs 'process' the Code that went from HDD to RAM now to CPU to 'figure out what to do with it'. The CPU decides where it needs to pass it to (sound stuff to sound card, graphics to GPU, etc.) or does what the code 'says' it needs to do with it (what is Pi times Pi?). Before the GPU, Sound, whatever does anything it has to go HDD->RAM-CPU first. CPUs are like checkout lanes at the store, if you have very few 'open' (cores) then things can back up waiting for their 'turn' to checkout, more lanes open the 'faster' things move through.

5) CARDS: Be it Sound, Wireless, GPU, Mouse, keyboard doesn't matter what 'IT' is, this is the 'last step' in the 'line', so when people say 'get a better GPU' or other answer that is based on 2, 3, and 4 ALL being 'good enough first' and this "last step" you just haven't upgraded yet.

powerarmor

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2011
Problem: CPU usage 100%, stuttering, GPU usage up to 80%.

My first specs when I bought the game:
i3 2120
HD 7850
RAM 8 gb

Before posting this I have tried the following:

- full system scan, updating all drivers, tried different settings in BIOS
- checking what is consuming CPU, found out that it was Intel rapid storage, so I've uninstalled it, got a little better.

After that I've bought Intel i5 2500 + GTX 960. After clean install of graphic card PROBLEM STILL PERSISTS.

It got a little better- for the first minutes of game everything runs smooth with up to 80% of CPU and up to 140FPS, later CPU usage goes to 95-100% and game stutters (with FPS around 80).

I have tried every possible settings in game (lowering them does not make big difference, stuttering is there even on lowest settings) and made "tricks" in nvidia control panel.

Last thing I will try today is capping FPS at 60 or 30, which I saw helped some people. I am running out of ideas and health :).

1) You need to READ THE ENTIRE THREAD
2) Per the game RECOMMENDED Processor: Intel Core i5 3470 << Your running the generation before this aka NOT Recommended hardware, so you need to drop down your graphics to Medium
3) Again, and again and again I keep saying the same thing
Follow the steps I outlined above LINE FOR LINE, then REPLY LINE BY LINE what happened.

Running 'Antivirus' will NOT remove Malware.
Running Windows Update/Nvidia Drivers installer will NOT correct the RAM I/O driver being in conflict, etc. etc. etc.

powerarmor

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2011

Thanks for your reply Tom. Here are the details:

Did you install all Windows Updates? Including OPTIONAL except BING? Check them and repeat till ALL are installed.
Yes

Download and run Slim Drivers, install all the latest updates but you don't need to reboot until you do the last update
Done - Slim Drivers, Driver Booster, DriverMax, all drivers up to date

Go to www.filehippo.com, download Malwarebytes, go to CUSTOM Scan and set it to do a full system scan (by DEFAULT IT DOESN"T DO THAT, and AntiVirus doesn't pick up alot of malware) - this resolved almost ALL other similiar posts to date as most had Malware the AV didn't pick up.
Done

Remove whatever AV your using and download AVIRA, AVG, Comodo or Panda go to CUSTOM Scan and set it to do a full system scan (by DEFAULT IT DOESN"T DO THAT) - this repeatedly has resolved alot of people issue relying on MS Essentials.
Done

Repeat the AV/Malware scans till the system comes up clean.
Done

Download and run SPECCY, copy and paste the first tab to show your idle temps
35 degrees @ idle

Download AUTORUNS and turn off anything NOT critical on startup, so you don't need to run JAVAScheduler to check for Java updates everytime you start your computer for example. BE CAREFUL AND KNOW WHAT YOUR TURNING OFF BEFORE YOU DO IT.
Done

Download and run MSI Afterburner, in the settings turn ON OSD, then go through and SET the stuff to 'watch' by enabling them in OSD (On Screen Display)
Now run some of the games that run poor, what temps are you getting when underload as compared to what you posted?
With MSI Afterburner Do you see anything funny that the CPU or other parts are maxing out (we are testing here not trying to WIN at the games, so if your screen is filled with readouts then just deal as we are just observing).
Do you see this problem when in SOLO MODE? Only when Multiplayer?
Check all the games you listed, and provide if there they ALL or just SOME are having this issue?
Max temps do not exceed 70 degrees.

Open Computer, Can Air dust out the bunnies and use paint brush on the vents, coolers, fans, etc.
Done
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To conclude, I've tried a lot of things. One that worked the best was fixing FPS @ 60 with RivaTuner. In this way CPU rarely gets higher than 90% and I have extremely smooth game. Over 90% of cpu usage it is more of a slide show.
GPU does not exceed 70% of its power.

With fps at =60 game is smooth as it should. Sometimes it drops below 60 (50-55)and then barely noticable stuttering comes back.

What is interesting- on low settings, FPS count is around 120-140 and stuttering is the same as with high settings and fps at 30. I have to run with v-sync on.

FACEPALMS... V-Sync is used to ensure the output of the video card matches as closely to the frequency of the monitor, forcing the card not to push higher than the screen but as well limiting the processing it does. I pointed out before, your 'upgrade' does NOT meet specs if your trying above Medium graphics for this game. You need to face that the issue is totally a HARDWARE is NOT CAPABLE issue, not a drivers, updates, virus, etc. issue.

powerarmor

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2011
I know what v-sync means, I am just saying that with v-sync on, there is no stuttering and when I turn it to half or off stuttering occurs.

Minimum requirement for this game is Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600, which has less than 3000 PassMark points, my CPU has 6500 point, so telling that "hardware is not capable" to play smooth with LOW SETTINGS is a deja moo.

If my hardware was not capable, I wouldn't be able to play most of time EXTREMELY SMOOTH with fps capped at 60 on medium.

In this case- it is either a software issue (or some hardware malfunction which I cannot track) or bad optimization of the game itself.
I am not looking to argue, I am looking for a solution, so if you don't have one, please let others speak.

RCFProd

Expert
Ambassador
i5-4570 + GTX 970 should play it just fine.

However GTA V is known to have uses without V-Sync. In that game textures literally don't load until the last second without V-Sync and till this day I'm not sure what's the cause of that. This is not just for me, but also with loads of others including friends were I tested it without V-Sync and the results were the exact same. Textures load very late without V-Sync and the game starts stuttering.

However, now something different and this is very important. Do not focus on minimum requirements on a game as those are the bare minimum specs that can make the game run doesn't matter how well it runs.

Tom Tancredi is correct. With that i3-2120 you are always going to have problems reaching 60 fps.

Anything below recommended requirements can be a cause of issue. Look at recommended settings. Not minimum requirements as that as taboo.

powerarmor

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2011
Thanks for the answer. Please note that my previous CPU was i3-2120. Currently, I am using i5-2500.
Note also that even when I reach 170 fps, game stutters.

I manager to find that spot where the game is playable (with a lot of small tweaks in nvidia control panel, various game setting, with PC restart after each session + turning off literally everything, together with antivirus). Stuttering is there only when driving fast in the city, with lots of other cars.

powerarmor

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2011
Setting V-sync off in game while setting as adaptive in control panel results in higher framerate and higher stuttering...
In fact, I tried all possible configurations with v-sync. Best for the moment is to set it "on" in-game and not touch anything in nvidia cp.

I've also changed other options in nvidia cp, as per xMartyyy on youtube. This helped a lot, but did not solved problem entirely.

I think that it would be a good idea to find which options in gta 5 settings.xml is using the most of CPU (along with smallest impact on in-game visuals) and reduce it. You have any clue?

-----
one add-on - when I don't use fps capping at 60 with rivatuner, the game is more of a slide show when driving fast in the city.

RCFProd

Expert
Ambassador
Really difficult to read all of it. There are multiple setups everywhere in this thread I don't know where to look.

Anyways, adaptive V-sync won't activate unless It's in fullscreen mode so if you're getting higher FPS than 60 it means adaptive V-sync is not activated and that your game is not in fullscreen mode. Try setting your game to fullscreen, so ''Alt+Enter'' is what you press if you're windowed.

powerarmor

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2011
It's not 144Hz. My monitor is Benq G2220HD.

------------------------------
edit

After MOBO change to P8P67, clean windows install (also bought new SSHD) problem still occurs.

So basically I've changed the entire PC :). From my point of view this game is poorly optimized for some CPUs, which due to their specs should run game smooth, at least on medium settings (stuutering on lowest details??!!).

At this moment I am getting 30% GPU load and 100% CPU load.

One last thing left- I'm buying 2500K and overclock it to <4 ghz. Might do the trick.

renegadepestisrac

Reputable
Jun 4, 2014
First of all sorry for my English.

I have been reading post all over the net cause I have same issues.

I tried the game with 2 config. My old one is a q9550 capable of 4.5, 8 gig of Mushkin ddr2 1066 cl5, Asus p5q pro, Sapphire HD7870, 2xsamsung 10000 RPM 500 GB HDD RAID 0, Cooler master G750M PSU. The other one is an AMD FX8320E I can go up 4.8 stable, Asus M5A99X, 16 gig of Radeon R7 Performance 1866 cl9, Radeon SSD 120 gig, the hdd, psu and the gpu is the same.

I have tried various solutions from forums. None of them worked.
That’s why I put together my old pc cause I wanted to check about amd fx bottleneck.
But frame drops and shuttering presents at both.
In both pc I had clean install of win8.1 x64, only installed drivers. No AV, no third party stuff like flahs, crome ect. Nothing witch holds back the horses.

The best solution what I find is turn windows virtual memory of completely.
That gives me about 45 min to 1 hour troubleless gameplay, but after that I need to restart pc to get another hour…..

I came to conclusion that gta 5 have some memory management issues. If it uses virtual memory than the problems come in 3-10 min of gameplay.
Somehow it prefers virtual memory over physical ram, if it enabled the problem came when ssd/hdd can`t catch up.
When I tried without virtual mem I was happy to get rid of the problem but it came back in an hour.
So that’s why I think it have memory management problem.

We have to wait until new patch I think.

^^ That's how Windows is DESIGNED to work. All memory addressing is done in terms of VIRTUAL memory addresses; all disabling the Page File does is force a 1:1 mapping between Virtual and Real memory addresses.

What's going on is simple: GTA is stressing the memory subsystem enough where Paging is starting to affect performance, and since you're using a 10k HDD, you are going to be more affected by it then SSD users would (Remember: 10k drives write speeds aren't that much better then normal HDDs; that's what's killing you).

When you turn off the Page File, your eliminating Paging, but as a result, every other background task is getting paged out due to lack of RAM, and eventually, you just run out. We've basically known GTA bleeds RAM over time for a month now.

Nowadays, because we've finally moved to 64-bit, high-end gaming rigs should really come with AT LEAST 16GB RAM. Games using 2GB are a thing of the past now, and memory leaks can potentially take up the entire amount of RAM in your system, rather then just 2GB then the application crashing.

renegadepestisrac

Reputable
Jun 4, 2014

I tried install it om my ssd but it does the same.