https://valid.x86.fr/6vwbr1
Ryzen 3 1200 @3.7ghz 1.25v
Stock cooler
MSI B350 Gaming Plus
2x4gb 3200mhz
GTX 1050 2gb
Corsair CX550M
1080p 60hz monitor
I have been playing GTA 5 and occasionally during gameplay my system will hard lock. Screen freezes, MSI Afterburner freezes, Alt+F4 & Ctrl+ALT+DEL do nothing, and long press of power button required and restart needed. I have a feeling this is an overclock issue, however, only my cpu is overclocked right now. No other games have issues, however, most of my other games are less cpu demanding.
How do I know if my cpu OC is the culprit?
Aida 64 shows nothing unusual and other games run fine.

View: https://imgur.com/a/nw7LN0L

I will say, I'm impressed that this CPU has a 600mhz overclock and overvolt, but the cpu still manages to use around 65w, its tdp at stock. The stock cooler also keeps the cpu at like 70c in games.
I have ordered a new GPU and want to sort all of these issues out before I use the new GPU.

I want to update my bios before experimenting with OC settings.
The latest bios revision is (7A34vMH1) from the 21st of May before Computex, and it says "Support new upcoming AMD cpu." Does this mean the whole ryzen 3000 lineup? It says it removed old A-series APU support, so it seems like it does ad ryzen 3000 support.
I have been using these OC settings and bios for nearly a year.

WildCard999

Titan
Write down or save your current overclock settings so it'll be easier to put them back in. Also if GTA V is the only game that gives you that issue then I'd consider going into the Steam properties for that game and verifying the files.

The BIOS update should be for Ryzen 3rd gen.

henry.j.kautz

Prominent
Jul 21, 2018
It's most likely your OC, it happens when you set clocks or voltage too high/low. Happened to me when I tried to push my RX 570 to 1480 MHZ. Reduced it to 1440 and it's all been OK now.

Is that extra 100mhz really adding to your experience in game? If temps are lower at 3.7, and 3.8 doesn't make a huge difference, I'd probably stock with 3.7. Just for lower temps.

Awesome seeing these older boards offer support for the new chip sets. If they handle the new 3600/x variants, it'll make a cheaper upgrade path for a lot of people.

Reactions: WildCard999
Yea this is basically what i ran into earlier.
I run max fan speed all of the time. I love the stock cooler since its so quiet even at 100% fan speed. Better than any stock cooler from intel ever or pre-ryzen AMD.
3.7=65w consumption and like 60-70c in aida 64. 1.285v stable but cool
3.8=80w consumption and like 80-87c in aida 64. 1.4v stable but hot
My chip seems to like 3.7ghz best, hence why i ran it like that for about a year.