Not open for further replies.

Eugene102

Reputable
Mar 28, 2020
Specs:

X570 Aorus Pro (rev 1.0) latest F12 bios
R9 3900X (DeepCool Castle 240mm)
RTX 2070 (latest driver)
Gskill Trident Z 32 GB 3600mhz CL16 (xmp enabled)
Samsung EVO 960 ssd 500gb (game installed here, it used to work just fine on a Toshiba hdd so I don't think that it is a drive speed issue)
Corsair TX750M 750w PSU

This rig is more than capable of running this game on max settings at more than 60 fps, but that is not the case right now. Everything seems to be fine until I get in a car and start driving, then it starts stuttering like crazy. All settings are set to max, CPU and GPU temps are fine, GPU never goes past 65 degrees and CPU never goes past 60. The stuttering happens like this, game runs fine for 10-15 seconds and then stutters. These stutters are accompanied by the GPU usage going from 80-90 percent to about 20-30 percent for a split second. All the info I found on the internet as of right now suggests me to change settings in Nvidia control panel, but nothing seems to be helping. Thanks in advance, any help would be really appreciated.

Reactions: occupant

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Just to test. Does it still stutter if you set vsync to half ingame?

Some reason i need to set it to on or half otherwise i get this kind of rubber band kind of stutter.

Eugene102

Reputable
Mar 28, 2020
Just to test. Does it still stutter if you set vsync to half ingame?

Some reason i need to set it to on or half otherwise i get this kind of rubber band kind of stutter.
No, sadly it didn't help. And it's not rubber band kind of stuttering, it's 2 or 3 solid stutters after 10-15 seconds of smooth gameplay accompanied by the gpu usage drop. And sound stutters to.

Eugene102

Reputable
Mar 28, 2020
Ok so gta5 was fine before the ssd came along? Any other changes since being on the Toshiba?
No, that's it. I probobably should've mentioned that the Toshiba hdd was in my old rig (1060 6GB i5 8400), there everything woked just fine. And every other game works perfectly fine on this new rig, except this one. I know that reinstalling Windows should help, but I kinda wanna avoid that if there is a more simple fix out there, cause it's my work pc also. I'll leave it as a last resort.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah well a mash of driver and chipset entries in the registry would be a mess 🙂. Could try reinstall GTA, but yeah, I would highly recommend reinstalling Windows.

D

Deleted member 14196

You can’t do that you have to reinstall windows when you move a drive to another machine that’s the main source of your problem no it is your problem 100%

Eugene102

Reputable
Mar 28, 2020
You can’t do that you have to reinstall windows when you move a drive to another machine that’s the main source of your problem no it is your problem 100%
I'm well aware that you should not do that, this rig was built from the ground up, none of the drives were moved from the old rig. The old rig had the game installed on a hdd.

narkotrafic

Prominent
Dec 30, 2019
I'm well aware that you should not do that, this rig was built from the ground up, none of the drives were moved from the old rig. The old rig had the game installed on a hdd.
Alright, man just listen to me. I was asking before u this question 2 weeks ago, i got almost same answers: reinstall OS, update bios, drivers etc. Everything of this didn't help me. I still getting stutters when my pc is good built(i5 9400f,2060s,16ram,ssd whole rig 1k$+). Even when u say u have like 15-20 seconds freezing and than smooth gameplay - same to me.
I was trying to set up low graphics, high priority for GTA5 and my FPS was around 180-200. But fps was non reasonably dropping to 70-100. After sometime game became smooth. I tried everything and nothing helped. As i found some intresting topics on different sources, i came up with idea that gta5 is just not optimized properly game, it literally can't deal with medium-high end PCs. Yeah maybe there are people who have no problems, but according even to this site, not only me and u have stutters on good rigs. Just try to realise that gta5 is just performing badly.
This thesis also confirmed by another tests in different games, where i have smooth gameplay with 1-2 stutters per 3-4 hour gameplay. Doom, CSGO,Dota,RDR2, Metro - all of these games on my PC has even better fps than on youtube tests. Only GTA5 has this stutter issue.
My advice is to just lock your FPS by Vsync on, u will still have freezes but it will be felt much easier for your eyes and u will be less tilted. Good luck!

Eugene102

Reputable
Mar 28, 2020
Alright, man just listen to me. I was asking before u this question 2 weeks ago, i got almost same answers: reinstall OS, update bios, drivers etc. Everything of this didn't help me. I still getting stutters when my pc is good built(i5 9400f,2060s,16ram,ssd whole rig 1k$+). Even when u say u have like 15-20 seconds freezing and than smooth gameplay - same to me.
I was trying to set up low graphics, high priority for GTA5 and my FPS was around 180-200. But fps was non reasonably dropping to 70-100. After sometime game became smooth. I tried everything and nothing helped. As i found some intresting topics on different sources, i came up with idea that gta5 is just not optimized properly game, it literally can't deal with medium-high end PCs. Yeah maybe there are people who have no problems, but according even to this site, not only me and u have stutters on good rigs. Just try to realise that gta5 is just performing badly.
This thesis also confirmed by another tests in different games, where i have smooth gameplay with 1-2 stutters per 3-4 hour gameplay. Doom, CSGO,Dota,RDR2, Metro - all of these games on my PC has even better fps than on youtube tests. Only GTA5 has this stutter issue.
My advice is to just lock your FPS by Vsync on, u will still have freezes but it will be felt much easier for your eyes and u will be less tilted. Good luck!

Interesting, then why it ran fine on my old rig which was 1060 6GB I5 8400? I don't think it is considered a low end pc even by todays standarts. My fps is already locked to my monitors refresh rate (which is 75hz) and I'm always using Vsync, no need to put excess load on the GPU if your monitor is only capable of 75hz. But these stutters are dropping my fps to 35-30. I guess it's playable for many but not for me, guess I'm too spoiled. And to top it all off, I reinstalled my Windows today and it didn't help, so it must be a game or a driver issue (I'm more inclined to think that it's a game not optimized for the newer hardware) . And I did a complete fresh reinstall with moving my work related stuff to an a external drive. Geez, what Rockstar have become? All this money and they can't employ competent enough people to keep their golden egg laying chicken optimized for everything. Honestly, if it wasn't for RDR2 they would've completly lost my respect.

narkotrafic

Prominent
Dec 30, 2019
Interesting, then why it ran fine on my old rig which was 1060 6GB I5 8400? I don't think it is considered a low end pc even by todays standarts. My fps is already locked to my monitors refresh rate (which is 75hz) and I'm always using Vsync, no need to put excess load on the GPU if your monitor is only capable of 75hz. But these stutters are dropping my fps to 35-30. I guess it's playable for many but not for me, guess I'm too spoiled. And to top it all off, I reinstalled my Windows today and it didn't help, so it must be a game or a driver issue (I'm more inclined to think that it's a game not optimized for the newer hardware) . And I did a complete fresh reinstall with moving my work related stuff to an a external drive. Geez, what Rockstar have become? All this money and they can't employ competent enough people to keep their golden egg laying chicken optimized for everything. Honestly, if it wasn't for RDR2 they would've completly lost my respect.
i noticed, that 2 of my friends with cheap PCs have smooth gameplay all the time, but their fps on low setting doesnt even go higher than 60-80. Probably they just dont feel these stutters. But as u mentioned , Rockstar made RDR2 and it runs perfectly even on lowcost rigs. Yeah, it's no reason to compare games of 2013 and 2018 years realese, but it seems weired that such a massive gamedev studio made game with such unoptimized engine.
Up to VSYNC, my gpu doesn't even notice that i turn it on or off - same workload, same temperatures. I have my 144 monitor, and im pretty happy with current situation - at least im able to play normally but sometimes it disturbs so hard.

Reactions: Zam6e

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
I would run DDU Display Driver Uninstaller and do a clean and restart in safe mode then install the latest graphics drivers and leave vsync off as it is by default. Also what version of GTA5 do you have? Is it steam or pure application install? After DDU and leave vsync off and problem persists make sure you have no page file on that box and I would uninstall then reinstall the games your data should be saved so no worries there.

Eugene102

Reputable
Mar 28, 2020
I would run DDU Display Driver Uninstaller and do a clean and restart in safe mode then install the latest graphics drivers and leave vsync off as it is by default. Also what version of GTA5 do you have? Is it steam or pure application install? After DDU and leave vsync off and problem persists make sure you have no page file on that box and I would uninstall then reinstall the games your data should be saved so no worries there.
Isn't the full wipe reinstall of Windows supposed to be more effective? I've done it already, the problem is still there, I'm starting to think that there's some Ryzen related incompatibility going on.

narkotrafic

Prominent
Dec 30, 2019
I was actually referring to the other dude, who kinda crashed your thread with his own similar problem.
yes man, i was making same topic about stutters, because i default manipulations didnt work for me. I thought that someone knows extraordinary fix for this bug. But sadly, people can only ask about "did u full reinstall windows, did you update drivers on mobo and etc". No offense, but i literally expected more specific fix for me which is not usual while you trying to deal with kind of problem like this.

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
You should install MSI AB and set a nice fan curve so it speeds up to 100 percent when trying to play GTA5. Also for the heck of it plug in your display cable to another port on the graphics card. Also see if you can install the latest BIOS for your motherboard and possibly video card if there is one. :cautious:

Eugene102

Reputable
Mar 28, 2020
Thank you guys for your help, every single one of you! I really appreciate it! But OMG, it seems to me than I've managed to fix this stuttering problem. I'm actually so pissed right now because of how simple the fix to the problem was and how much hassle it caused me! The problem was that apparently 12 cores and 24 threads is too much to handle for the game. So in Task Manager under the Details tab I found th GTA5.exe process, righ clicked it, clicked on Processor affinity and ticked off half of the cores, and believe it or not, that actually fixed it! I used to fix GTA San Andreas mouse not working the same way.

Reactions: occupant

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Thank you guys for your help, every single one of you! I really appreciate it! But OMG, it seems to me than I've managed to fix this stuttering problem. I'm actually so pissed right now because of how simple the fix to the problem was and how much hassle it caused me! The problem was that apparently 12 cores and 24 threads is too much to handle for the game. So in Task Manager under the Details tab I found th GTA5.exe process, righ clicked it, clicked on Processor affinity and ticked off half of the cores, and believe it or not, that actually fixed it! I used to fix GTA San Andreas mouse not working the same way.
So the comment about crap optimization was true then; the game doesn't know what to do with some of the resources available to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.