Question GTX 1050 keeps shutting down after a while ?

Dec 16, 2021
This morning when i was about to launch my PC to play some games i noticed that the monitor will turn off randomly, especially when I'm about to login to Windows. I thought that was just a inactive response from the OS at first if i do nothing on the lock screen, then i realized that my GPU makes a boom clicking sound when that happens. There will be no output and i will have to force restart my PC. Sometimes it occurs when i am logged on as well, and the GPU is idling.

Sometimes the screen boots up with "invalid driver", and there is only black and white screen with extremely small low resolution.
This issue also happens in BIOS screen as well, so i'm not sure if this is a driver issue or not.

Basic specs:
CPU: Intel Pentinum Gold G5400
GPU: Colorful GTX 1050

(i can provide more if needed)

For now I have only found one working solution: removing Afterburner, but i'm not so sure.

PS: I played games all day yesterday for the first time, could that be an issue?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Computer didn't restarted as he told. That may happen also due to failing monitor or bad monitor PSU as well.
Yes I read his post. He says display not sowrking/showing anything intermittently when this happens.

Black and white in BIOS with lower than normal resolution is odd. Nothing to do with driver or Afterburner in BIOS.

I'm guessing the PSU is not a new one and we don't know the make/model and quality either.

Dec 16, 2021
Yes I read his post. He says display not sowrking/showing anything intermittently when this happens.

Black and white in BIOS with lower than normal resolution is odd. Nothing to do with driver or Afterburner in BIOS.

I'm guessing the PSU is not a new one and we don't know the make/model and quality either.
My PSU is Kenoo E450 ESPORT, bought last month at a local store for upgrading.

Dec 16, 2021
There is another thing: This morning the moisture level rose up in my area, so everything is very wet, some of the internal components are a little moist. Currently using a dryer right now to see if it helps or not.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
My PSU is Kenoo E450 ESPORT, bought last month at a local store for upgrading.
I don't know if this is a good quality unit and if it actually does what it's supposed to to or not. I searched and only found a few online sellers with pages half in English and half in Vietnamese?

I'm saying this because many PSUs that are of mediocre or low quality don't provide proper output even if the markings say they do. The label might say 400W but in fact it might be a 200W unit with bad design and low aulaity components.

This PSU with somehow unnknown quality to me compounded with moisture (some of the internal components are a little moist ) would wreak havoc with electric and electronic parts.

I would say take components out of case and bread-board them and dry them (if moist!) and see if the system works properly.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2021
Seems some cheap PSU brand made for Vietnamese market. Worth to replace to something better just to be safe.
Not likely a PSU problem. I unplugged the PCIe cable from the card in order to show the error screen "Please plug in the PCIe cable", but there was no output after a while as well. Monitor can't be an issue, as I'm now testing it with other monitor.

Dec 16, 2021
can you try shifting to iGPU, then uninstalling and reinstalling the nvidia drivers (perhaps older ones, if available)?

This is a very generic solution, ik, but it never hurts to try that.....
Switching to iGPU doesn't work too. The setup would break at some given moment and i will get a BSOD

FoxInFlames

Prominent
Jan 3, 2022
It's odd? My (very very very) old desktop (which has an i5 3450 and a Quadro FX 1800) used to show that 'intel inside' screen in 640x480 or something, but windows switched it over to 1280x 1024 when it started up, maybe it boots the same way in this case?

He said that i could reinstall my driver via iGPU, but it doesn't work most of the time since the GPU would crash randomly
I think there is a misunderstanding, I'm asking you to attach the display port you use on the GPU, directly to the motherboard from the behind, so that it takes display from that Pentium's integrated GPU and not the 1050, and then use your conputer to go online and install the stable version of nvidia drivers for your 1050

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
It's odd? My (very very very) old desktop (which has an i5 3450 and a Quadro FX 1800) used to show that 'intel inside' screen in 640x480 or something, but windows switched it over to 1280x 1024 when it started up, maybe it boots the same way in this case?

What I understood from the OPs post was that it wasn't like this before and now it's changed and is showing like that in BIOS and black and white. That'd be odd. Wouldn't it?

Dec 16, 2021
Somehow the computer shutdown and doesn't boot up again while I was inspecting. I think the cause is from the PSU.

This also explains why this happened right after i play games all day yesterday

Last edited: