Question GTX 1050 performance worse than a GTX 750

Jan 11, 2022
PC Specs:
-i5 4670
-GTX 1050 2GB gigabyte (Single Fan and no 6pin connector)
-8GB RAM
-Windows 10 (fully Updated)
-Asus H81 2ram slot motherboard.
-256 GB HDD
-128 GB SSD (System drive)
-Running Lastest Nvidia drivers
-No Antivirus

Issue:
I bought this PC 6 months ago and i didnt knew how bad the performance was until i saw a benchmark of a properly working GTX 1050 paired with a less capablle i5 2nd gen processor.
I'm currently getting around 80-90 FPS in Valorant withh max settings, 1080p resolution, Its even worse with Fortnite where im getting maximum 120 unstable (constantly dips to 20 or even lower) , stuttery mess, major dips, unplayable experience on low setting 1080p (full scale), the card is on stock setting and crashes if i overclock it using a MSI Afterburner.

Things i've tried:
  • Reinstalling Windows
  • Reinstalling Games
  • Installing them on SSD instead of HDD
Non of them helped

Edit: Yes i checked, its not a Fake GTX 1050

Last edited:
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/49516671
PSU is from chinese company, named Power man, Model number: IP-S350CQ2 H
Idle Temp, GPU: 39-41, CPU: 36
While Gaming: GPU: 68, CPU: 55
So you have a MAX 264W PSU under ideal conditions, 8 GB Ram which is the bare minimum for a "gaming" system, a CPU that is not even boosting to advertised clocks and a gpu missing from the benchmark...

Restart your PC, wait 5 mins, close ANY application that messes with the GPU (MSI afterburner or similar program) and then run the userbenchmark again. I am asking you to do that because you had very high background CPU usage and also because we might also be able to see the GPU there.

Your PSU is crap. It's not even worth the price of the metal used. It's a group-regulated PSU, ancient design with insufficient protections. It should be replaced immediately if you value anything in your system.

Test psu on OCCT. Change psu to better one and try again benchnark.
Also reseat gpu. Deinstall gpu driver uaing ddu uninstaller and do clean install of latest gpu driver.
Without knowing which PSU OP owns, it's a dangerous advice to give. Please refrain from such suggestions till you know the model.

Also OP mentioned that he even reinstalled windows which makes DDU irrelevant.

Reactions: vladakv
I actually have that PSU as it came with an In-Win case. It's perfectly adequate for a worthless office PC (I'm using it on a C2Q with GT730 overclocked to 1255MHz ) and was very surprised to see it had a 6-pin when similarly rated 350w Super-Silencer based PSUs that come in Antec cases did not.

It's really up to you if it's worth risking an expensive 1050 or even a $75 750 on it but bad PSUs tend to crash the games, not make them run slowly. Both of those are Unreal Engine 4 games (for now, Fortnite is apparently moving to UE5) so no too demanding.

I'm more interested in the clockspeeds GPU-Z reports while the games are running. It's perfectly possible to "salvage" a genuine but damaged card by severely underclocking it in the vBIOS, and your card's complete inability to overclock is suspicious.

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/49516671
PSU is from chinese company, named Power man, Model number: IP-S350CQ2 H
Idle Temp, GPU: 39-41, CPU: 36
While Gaming: GPU: 68, CPU: 55
Junk. I would not trust it to safely power any system. I would strongly consider replacing it for a better unit.

Also, there are many factors that go into performance. Just because some unknown person made a review claiming X performance does not mean there is anything wrong with your computer.

Run this and post resulting link here
https://www.userbenchmark.com

Jan 11, 2022
So you have a MAX 264W PSU under ideal conditions, 8 GB Ram which is the bare minimum for a "gaming" system, a CPU that is not even boosting to advertised clocks and a gpu missing from the benchmark...

Restart your PC, wait 5 mins, close ANY application that messes with the GPU (MSI afterburner or similar program) and then run the userbenchmark again. I am asking you to do that because you had very high background CPU usage and also because we might also be able to see the GPU there.

Your PSU is crap. It's not even worth the price of the metal used. It's a group-regulated PSU, ancient design with insufficient protections. It should be replaced immediately if you value anything in your system.

Without knowing which PSU OP owns, it's a dangerous advice to give. Please refrain from such suggestions till you know the model.

Also OP mentioned that he even reinstalled windows which makes DDU irrelevant.
I re-ran the userbench this time, according to your instruction
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/49535402

Jan 11, 2022
I actually have that PSU as it came with an In-Win case. It's perfectly adequate for a worthless office PC (I'm using it on a C2Q with GT730 overclocked to 1255MHz ) and was very surprised to see it had a 6-pin when similarly rated 350w Super-Silencer based PSUs that come in Antec cases did not.

It's really up to you if it's worth risking an expensive 1050 or even a $75 750 on it but bad PSUs tend to crash the games, not make them run slowly. Both of those are Unreal Engine 4 games (for now, Fortnite is apparently moving to UE5) so no too demanding.

I'm more interested in the clockspeeds GPU-Z reports while the games are running. It's perfectly possible to "salvage" a genuine but damaged card by severely underclocking it in the vBIOS, and your card's complete inability to overclock is suspicious.
http://gpuz.techpowerup.com/22/01/12/7tf.png
^GPU-Z

Jan 11, 2022
Junk. I would not trust it to safely power any system. I would strongly consider replacing it for a better unit.

Also, there are many factors that go into performance. Just because some unknown person made a review claiming X performance does not mean there is anything wrong with your computer.

Run this and post resulting link here
https://www.userbenchmark.com
So... do you know of any way through which i can diagnose the bottleneck or issue with my setup?
btw heres the userbenchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/49535402

That doesn't show anything except how high the tables in the vBIOS go--and definitely not if it can ever reach those numbers in use. You'll want to let the "Sensors" tab log things in the background while you are playing a game or running a benchmark.

See, if I wanted to disable Boost, I could just set every speed above default at 2 volts in the vBIOS and it would never go above default speeds--all while GPU-Z still shows 1455MHz there as the maximum speed. Even worse I could lock the memory speed way below default and that tab would still show the now unattainable maximum.

That said, 20fps minimum in Fortnite on Epic settings doesn't sound outlandishly low as Tom's tested a 1050 2GB at 25fps 4 years ago and there have been a lot of game patches and driver updates since then:
ThTa3W372jSMwfqV6R3cFC-970-80.gif

Their recommendation was turning the details down to play at 1080p on such a card. They also found it only really needed two fast CPU cores so it's not CPU limited and the bottleneck is the GPU.

Yea I don't see anything wrong with your system. You can only ask so much from a 5 year old low end GPU and an even older CPU.

Turn down settings to get a better experience.

I had a r3 1200 + 1050 for awhile and I couldn't run Fortnite on epic either with a playable framerate iirc.