GTX 1050 TI busted?

pizaro1

Commendable
Nov 28, 2016
Hello All

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($235.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($82.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($72.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Windforce OC Video Card ($158.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX PRO Black Edition 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($137.86 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($85.58 @ OutletPC)

Just bought the GTX 1050 TI card listed above as an upgrade from my old card. However, I am unfortunately having a major problem.

Here are the steps I took installing the card:
-removing the old one
-insert the new one into the MB till i heard the "click"
-put the thumb screws in to stabilize it so there was no sag
-plugged the 6pin power line from my PSU into the card
-flipped the switch on the back and powered the machine on.

The error:
-When the machine is powered on the fans on the underside of the card spin for a moment and then stop.
-There is no display to be had.

What I have tried:
-I have updated my BIOS
-I have tried to clean the ports with canned air
-Checked all wires and connections
-Inserted the card in the other blue PCI port on the MB (the lower one)
-Tested machine again with old card to make sure i did not break anything during installation of new card

I am at a loss for what to do!! I am guessing I have 1 of 2 problems.
1) Faulty card???? 2) 850W is not enough power to run the card??
I truly appreciate any help that anyone can provide as i would love to be able to use my new card.
Thank you -Nick S

Solution
Most new video cards have a dual bios switch on the edge of the card facing outwards along the length of the card.

If you have such a toggle switch on the card try switching it over to the second bios setting while your system is powered down pizaro1.

On some cards it is used for a motherboard that is old and only supports add in hardware that is legacy compliant.
Depending on the age of your motherboard.

Or if the motherboard and card are both Uefi compliant.

Check the box that the card came in also, it should state if the card is Uefi compatible
, if so and the motherboard you have is new, or about two years old.

And the motherboard is also Uefi compliant, go into the bios of the motherboard.
Selecting the advanced bios...
Most new video cards have a dual bios switch on the edge of the card facing outwards along the length of the card.

If you have such a toggle switch on the card try switching it over to the second bios setting while your system is powered down pizaro1.

On some cards it is used for a motherboard that is old and only supports add in hardware that is legacy compliant.
Depending on the age of your motherboard.

Or if the motherboard and card are both Uefi compliant.

Check the box that the card came in also, it should state if the card is Uefi compatible
, if so and the motherboard you have is new, or about two years old.

And the motherboard is also Uefi compliant, go into the bios of the motherboard.
Selecting the advanced bios options.

Look for CSM mode.

Set the detection of hardware, and booting of devices to: Legacy/ Uefi
Save the changes made in the bios before you exit it.
Restart the system.

Please make sure that you also have the extra four or eight pin 12+ EPS or E-ATX direct from the power supply unit in your system to the motherboard.

The card should then work in your system, giving a screen output signal to your monitor.

Solution
A 850w power supply if anything way above what you need to run a new Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti card Pizaro1.

I suspect it may be a power problem to do with the four or eight pin 12v + Eps or E-ATX from the psu not being connected to the motherboard.

What card were you running in the system before you bought the GTX 1050 Ti card ?

An 850w that cant run a 1050ti that only requires a 300W? Only if the PSU is just about dead.

Make sure when you reinstall to plug in the 6 pin PCIE power plug all the way in.