Question GTX 1050 To underperforming?

Apr 10, 2019
Hi so I've an ASUS ROG GL553VE with Intel i7 7th gen processor and a gtx 1050 to 4 GB yet I can barely play any game on high. Even on low I'm barely getting 20-30 fps with some of the graphics demanding games. Any idea what could be the issue?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
The way Nvidia measure graphic performance with their lineup from slowest to fastest is xx30 xx50 xx60 xx70 and xx80.

1050 (xx50) is entry level and not on the same level as a 1060.

May improve performance a bit if configure a higher power plan in Windows and NvidiaCP to favor more performance. The battery will drain quicker so have it plugged in.

Apr 10, 2019
The way Nvidia measure graphic performance with their lineup from slowest to fastest is xx30 xx50 xx60 xx70 and xx80.

1050 (xx50) is entry level and not on the same level as a 1060.

May improve performance a bit if configure a higher power plan in Windows and NvidiaCP to favor more performance. The battery will drain quicker so have it plugged in.

hey, i tried setting a high power plan and changed some settings in the NvidiaCP but nothing worked. I'm starting to think it's the thermals that's causing a drop in performance. I have had this laptop for 2 years now and never changed the thermal paste.

Your thermal paste is fine as it does not go bad in 2 years, but thermals still may be the issue. What are your CPU/GPU temps under load? You my have a fan go out or the cooling is damaged.

What games are you playing? Your 1050 is not gonna game at modern AAA titles on high settings at 60fps. But it should manage low settings.

Wendigo

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2002
The 1050 is an entry level card. Don't expect it to run everything at the highest settings. And yes, more often than not you'll have to dial back the graphic settings to keep a decent FPS. So, your laptop seems to run as expected for what it is. Since it's a laptop, there isn't much than can be done about it. On a desktop, the solution would be to change the 1050 for a more powerful card.

Apr 10, 2019
Your thermal paste is fine as it does not go bad in 2 years, but thermals still may be the issue. What are your CPU/GPU temps under load? You my have a fan go out or the cooling is damaged.

What games are you playing? Your 1050 is not gonna game at modern AAA titles on high settings at 60fps. But it should manage low settings.
Playing Sekiro, CPU is at 82 degrees Celsius and GPU at 85 degrees Celsius
As of now, the only solution for me to play sekiro at 30 for was to change the screen resolution (in game) to 1280x720 but I still get frame drops occasionally otherwise a constant 30-35 fps

Apr 10, 2019
The 1050 is an entry level card. Don't expect it to run everything at the highest settings. And yes, more often than not you'll have to dial back the graphic settings to keep a decent FPS. So, your laptop seems to run as expected for what it is. Since it's a laptop, there isn't much than can be done about it. On a desktop, the solution would be to change the 1050 for a more powerful card.

Playing Sekiro, CPU is at 82 degrees Celsius and GPU at 85 degrees Celsius
As of now, the only solution for me to play sekiro at 30 frames was to change the screen resolution (in game) to 1280x720 but I still get frame drops occasionally otherwise a constant 30-35 fps.
I'm pretty sure the GTX 1050 Ti is much more capable than this for low quality settings.

Your temps are okay. They are a little warm for a desktop, laptops parts run warmer. Your temps would be well above 85C if your cooling was not working. The issue is with the game. While I have not played Sekiro (I want too), it is as modern AAA game and From software is not known for their well optimzed game. So playing a new and unoptimzed game on entry/budget hardware is going to be difficult.

oldcracc

Reputable
Apr 10, 2019
I mean the 1050 is sub-par but its not this garbage. Could it be a problem with drivers, maybe they're just 2 years old and you never updated them? Or could it be you plugged your cable into the motherboard and not the GPU but its unlikely on a laptop.

Apr 10, 2019
I mean the 1050 is sub-par but its not this garbage. Could it be a problem with drivers, maybe they're just 2 years old and you never updated them? Or could it be you plugged your cable into the motherboard and not the GPU but its unlikely on a laptop.

Recently updated Nvidia graphics card drivers so that's not the issue and I'm pretty sure it's not the latter. Other games like GTA 5 run fine on 1920x1080 at low settings.

Apr 10, 2019
Your temps are okay. They are a little warm for a desktop, laptops parts run warmer. Your temps would be well above 85C if your cooling was not working. The issue is with the game. While I have not played Sekiro (I want too), it is as modern AAA game and From software is not known for their well optimzed game. So playing a new and unoptimzed game on entry/budget hardware is going to be difficult.

Alright well I'm still gonna open it up and check for dust buildups and if the thermal paste needs to be changed. Let's see what happens.

Here is a performance analysis of Sekiro. They use a 680 which is on par with or even a little faster then a 1050 and it averaged 33 fps at 1080p.