Question GTX 1060 3 Gig Variant Being Really Stupid

Feb 17, 2020
So I decided to buy a used gtx 1060 from a “reliable” seller on eBay. He had good reviews and had already sold 13 gpus.
When it got to my door I was installing it and when I turned it on and installed drivers. The gpu was going crazy with the fan speeds at 100% and the temp would spike to 94 degrees Celsius.
I really don’t understand what could be wrong with it. I have a 550 watt psu that’s 80 plus bronze. I’ve ran malware bytes. And even changed the thermal paste.
Ive had it sitting in a cardboard box ever since Christmas. And now I’m back to using my old gtx 1050.

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 17, 2020
Download and run Gpu-Z: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/
Take a screenshot of the gpu info - there's a little camera icon near the top of the window.
Post the image here through imgur.com or something.

So you're not new to opening up gpus, right?

A custom fan curve via Msi Afterburner doesn't help with the fans?
I did end up trying to make the fans only run up to 60 percent after the card gets to 70c but it didn’t help. The card still ramped up. And I am sort of new to opening up gpus. But I know what I can and can’t do. And that is basically changing thermal paste😂

Feb 17, 2020
I did end up trying to make the fans only run up to 60 percent after the card gets to 70c but it didn’t help. The card still ramped up. And I am sort of new to opening up gpus. But I know what I can and can’t do. And that is basically changing thermal paste😂
And. I will download gpu z tomorrow sometime and run a diagnostic. We will see what the dumb thing will do

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
What is the exact make and model of the gpu?

The gpu core is running just fine at 70C, but if the VRMs or the memory chips are what's actually running hot, then the fans are still going to ramp up.
There is the possibility that the seller had opened up the card sometime before, replaced the old thermal pads, but did not use the correct size replacements, thus proper contact is not being made between those parts and the heatsink.

Reactions: racecar56
Feb 17, 2020
What is the exact make and model of the gpu?

The gpu core is running just fine at 70C, but if the VRMs or the memory chips are what's actually running hot, then the fans are still going to ramp up.
There is the possibility that the seller had opened up the card sometime before, replaced the old thermal pads, but did not use the correct size replacements, thus proper contact is not being made between those parts and the heatsink.
It’s a EVGA SC Single Fan GTX 1060 3gb

Feb 17, 2020
alright, its been a minute but i can confirm that the card is dead. i didnt download gpuz but i can 100% sure say that the card is fried, all thermal pads are in place since there are non on the card in the first place and now im thinking about buying something else