GTX 1060 and power supply or lack of.

leskenn

Prominent
Nov 6, 2017
Hi guys.
I bought a refurbished pc after speaking to the shop who told me it'd be easy enough to add a graphics card to the system.

This is the PC - https://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/product_detail/18535/Dell-Optiplex-790-Mini-Tower-Intel-Core-i5-2400-Quad-Core-3-1GHz-4GB-250GB-DVD-RW-Windows-7-Pro/

And I bought the gtx 1060 to go with it.
Unfortunately there's no Extra power leads in the pc.

Anyone know what the easiest solution is ?

It's a 4 plug molex to the motherboard and I need a 6 plug for the graphics card. Is there a lead I can get that simply splits and can supply both ?

Apologies for the ignorance. I may be out of my depth here.

Solution
Link doesn't work and if you don't have a direct 6pin to use on your GPU, your solution is not good enough. For a good GPU half solutions aren't really that good since you either lose performance or risk doing damage. Just get a cheap good PSU with a 6pin. Or if you have the money get a gold 2 or better EVGA PSU 550W or more.

Cioby

Distinguished
Link doesn't work and if you don't have a direct 6pin to use on your GPU, your solution is not good enough. For a good GPU half solutions aren't really that good since you either lose performance or risk doing damage. Just get a cheap good PSU with a 6pin. Or if you have the money get a gold 2 or better EVGA PSU 550W or more.

Solution

leskenn

Prominent
Nov 6, 2017
Ok I see the issue with my first plan.

Im led to believe that the dell computer I have has a power supply that's hard to upgrade.

Can I buy such a thing as an external power supply to feed just the graphics card ?

Nope, it takes a standard ATX PSU so you can buy a new one and put it in.