GTX 1060 Black screen after install

Jun 26, 2018
I am upgrading my integrated graphics to an NVidia GTX 1060 3GB, but after inserting it into the motherboard and powering up, all I get is a black screen. Here are my specs:

Motherboard-Gateway DX4885
OS-Windows 10 Home x64
Processor-Intel Core i7-4770 @3.40 GHz
RAM-12 GB
PSU-Corsair CX650

With everything connected, the fans on the GPU run, so there is power to the GPU. When I disconnect the HDMI from the GPU and reconnect to the integrated graphics connector, I still get a black screen. Only when I pull the card can I get back to a visible display. I could not find an option in the BIOS to disable or change the graphics controller. I could not find a BIOS update from the manufacturer either. How can I tell if the mobo is incompatible with the GPU? Any suggestions on how to get the display to appear?

There are a few possibilities. Did you plug in the PCIE power cable into the graphics card? If so, then try a different power cable. Did you move the monitor cable to the graphics card? If so try a different port or cable.

There is a possibility that the PCI Express x 16 slot is bad. Try a different Slot.

Try resetting the monitor be unplugging it and removing the monitor cable for a minute or so.

And lastly, it may be a defective graphics card.

Here are a couple of checklists on no video out.

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-1893016/post-system-boot-video-output-troubleshooting-checklist.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2041564/troubleshoot-boot-display-issue.html

There is the additional possibility that the graphics card isn't recognized by windows. Check to see if the graphics card is listed in the Device Manager under Display Adapter. Also see if the generic display adapter is displayed in addition to your graphics card. If either case exists, it means that there is a recognition/detection issue.

Additionally the BIOS may need to be updated.

Plus the graphics driver will also need to be updated for sure.

In the BIOS, the graphics source is defaulted to Auto. That means if a graphics card is present in the PCI Express x 16 slot, the integrated graphics and motherboard video out ports are disabled. At the same time the graphics source switches to the the graphics card and it's video output ports.

Thus when you remove the graphics card the motherboard video outputs become active.

Jun 26, 2018
Thank you Terry. Sorry for the delay in replying as I tested several scenarios. First a bit more detail-the monitor that it is connected to displays "Cable Not Connected" when there is no cable connected (which is obvious). When I connect the HDMI cable from the card to the monitor, it displays "No Signal". Yes the PCIE power cable from the power supply was plugged into the graphics card. The power supply is new, but I tried the other PCIE power cable with the same results. The HDMI cable was connected to the graphics card and not the motherboard connection. I then tried a DVI cable from the card to a different monitor-when powering on the power light on the monitor remained amber (standby). I took the card to another PC and replaced an NVidia Quaddro K620 with it. This PC (a Windows 7 PC) displayed in VGA mode only when the monitor was plugged into the card. One thing about this PC was that its power supply is only 300W, so maybe the card would not function with a limited power supply anyway. But I looked at the device manager and the card was not present, so I downloaded the drivers and installed them. (When I tried to install the driver on the original PC without the card installed, it halted the install because it wasn't present when performing the system compatibility check). After a reboot, the display came up in VGA mode and checking device manager the card was installed, but there was a yellow exclamation triangle next to the card with the message under device status "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)".

I have not tried to locate a BIOS upgrade, but maybe if I could get windows to start with the card inserted so I can at least get a VGA screen, then I could at least see what is/isn't displayed in device manager and then hopefully install the drivers. Right now there is no display with the card inserted for me to even see what Windows is seeing. Is a BIOS upgrade be my next step?

The "No Signal" display on your monitor would indicate that it is connected but the PC is asleep or off.

Since the device manager is detecting the graphics card, try updating the graphics driver. The problem may be with the graphics card itself though.

Download and install the graphics driver from geoforce.com. Ater unzipping the driver choose custom with a clean install.

Do the driver update first, you can come back to the Bios update afterwards.

Jun 26, 2018
I downloaded the NVIDIA Installer v 398.36 for this GPU. However, when the card is in the PCI slot, there is no display (not even the BIOS appears), so I cannot log into Windows and install the driver. When the card is not installed in the PCI slot and using the integrated display adaptor, I can run the installer, but it performs a system check and the message "NVIDIA Installer cannot continue. This graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware."

One other test I did was take the NVidia Quaddro K620 and installed it in the PCI slot (there is only one available PCI slot on the motherboard). I could not get any output to a monitor through the card, but when I connected the monitor to the integrated graphics card I did get the typical display. So I went to device manager, but the K620 card was not detected and Windows could not find it during a scan for new hardware. I repeated this test with the GTX 1060 card, but with it in the PCI slot, there was no output through either the card or the integrated graphics connectors.

So I am not sure what my next step should be.

Jun 26, 2018
Terry-You are probably correct in the PCI Express x 16 slot is bad. I took the wifi card from a PCIE x1 slot and put it in the x16 slot and I did not have a signal. Unfortunately this motherboard has only one x 16 slot. The thing I do not understand is that I took the GTX 1060 card to another PC with a working x 16 slot that had the Quaddro K620 card in it and I could not get Windows to recognize the card (see July 2nd post). So maybe I have a bad card and a bad x 16 slot?

Jul 5, 2018
I have the same issue so if there's a fix I'd be glad to hear it. Although in my case sometimes I can get the integrated graphics to work while my gpu is inside the system. But whenever I try to update the drivers it freezes the whole system. Last time I managed to get signal with the gpu but after a couple of minutes the screen turned into a weird grey with vertical bars. I must specify I have a totally different setup.

Jul 5, 2018
I'm not the original poster and in my case I'm almost sure the gpu is faulty(R7 370). Although when I went to RMA parts before the people there will check if there is something wrong with it anyway, so the OP could try doing so.

That suggestion has already been made to the OP. When returning parts, you are the one who has found the part to be non--functional. They try to use that strategy in order to charge a restocking fee.