GTX 1060 compatibility

SwatSkillz

Honorable
Dec 16, 2013
Hi,

I recently acquired an ASUS GTX 1060 dual OC 6GB GPU. I am currently attempting to test it on a machine that isn't my main and it has fairly poor specs.

I am having trouble getting the card to work. After the connecting the PCIe cable to the card and PSU, and slotting a HDMI into my GPU and monitor, the fans on the card don't even begin spinning. The computer fails to detect it whatsoever.

I assumed BIOS incompatibility (regardless of pcpartpicker.co.uk saying the card and board SHOULD work together) and attempted to update the BIOS, however due to the age of the card it appears a 2013 BIOS update is the most recent version I can get. I tried to opt in for a beta BIOS version that has been released in 2018 however when trying to run the instant flash in UEFI settings, the .exe isn't detected by the system.

The card, cables and the rest of the PC, as well as the peripherals, are in good condition and shouldn't cause any hardware trouble.

What could this be?

Specs:
Intel Pentium G2030 CPU (sorry this build really IS old)
4GB Corsair DDR3 RAM
ASRock B75M-GL R2.0 m-board
500w bronze corsair PSU (CX500M)
Kingston 240GB ssd (for os)
Western digital 1TB hdd (for the rest)
Windows 7 home premium

SwatSkillz

Honorable
Dec 16, 2013

Hi feelinfroggy777,

I didn't even consider that as an option primarily, mainly because it wouldn't have fit because of interference with an internal wifi card and also having read up that primary and secondary PCIe slots shouldn't have any incompatibility issues, only potential performance issues and there was 0 performance to compare to in the first place.

Having tried your suggestion, the card momentarily switched on then the fans switched right off again; the display has now recognised the card (I can tell just by the default low monitor resolution, at the moment). The fans, however, are still off.

Could this be due to lack of drivers for the card?

SwatSkillz

Honorable
Dec 16, 2013

Hi,

I've now installed the drivers, having reacquired internet (had to make a run to curry's to get a long enough ethernet :( ) and it seems to be in working condition. The PC recognises the card, the pc benchmark software hits 200-220fps on the 3D tests and the computer seems to boot normally, just as before.

Thank you for your advice along the way