Question GTX 1070 lagging to 20 fps on low settings?

PC_Gamer_Tom

Honorable
Aug 25, 2014
As the title says, my GTX 1070 is sometimes slowing down to 20 fps. I generally play roblox so I thought it was just a bad update, but when I had gone over to Euro Truck Simulator 2 MP, I got so much lag any time I past a single player's truck. Naturally I turned down my settings thinking maybe it's just a bit overloaded but even on the potato of quality, remained around 60-70 fps average when it should be atleast 120+, and 10-20 fps passing players. It was impossible to play.

This only happened in the last three or so days, and I don't think I updated anything, besides the nvidia graphics today. Any suggestions?

I doubt my specs mean much, but I got
i5-4600
12GB RAM
gtx 1070
600W PSU

I kept an eye on my GPU and it's always went to 100% on the 3D part when I got to a specific area in a roblox game. (ETS2 uncapped frames so it always went 100% usage anyways)

Edit: going to use DDU and re install, update soon.

Last edited:

ZuRriX

Reputable
Jul 14, 2019
I generally play roblox
I think Roblox is way too demanding for such a GPU. You need to upgrade your hardware.

That's a joke. I'm just kidding.

First off, how long have you been using the GPU for? Did you just get it or?

First of all, does the same problem occur in other much more demanding games, such as BF3, BF4, BF1 or BF5 etc.? It may be a problem with Roblox itself, especially if it's just in one specific area, as you said.

What also may be is that you got a faulty card. I don't know when you got it nor do I know how experienced you are with PCs, but you may have not even gotten the 1070 if you bought it of a Chinese site, like Wish.
I doubt this is the case, but still worth pointing out.

Most likely it is the drivers. Try installing the old ones and try again.

PC_Gamer_Tom

Honorable
Aug 25, 2014
I think Roblox is way too demanding for such a GPU. You need to upgrade your hardware.

That's a joke. I'm just kidding.

First off, how long have you been using the GPU for? Did you just get it or?

First of all, does the same problem occur in other much more demanding games, such as BF3, BF4, BF1 or BF5 etc.? It may be a problem with Roblox itself, especially if it's just in one specific area, as you said.

What also may be is that you got a faulty card. I don't know when you got it nor do I know how experienced you are with PCs, but you may have not even gotten the 1070 if you bought it of a Chinese site, like Wish.
I doubt this is the case, but still worth pointing out.

Most likely it is the drivers. Try installing the old ones and try again.

I've had the GPU since January, and had gotten it from Newegg. I've already mentioned ETS2 however it does seem to effect life is strange aswell, but not as much. From 90 to 50 fps from my knowledge between the past and now.

ZuRriX

Reputable
Jul 14, 2019
Try my suggestions as mentioned above: using it in more demanding games, preferably FPS and reinstalling the drivers.

Let me know what happens.

Also, did you buy it new or refurbished?

PC_Gamer_Tom

Honorable
Aug 25, 2014
Try my suggestions as mentioned above: using it in more demanding games, preferably FPS and reinstalling the drivers.

Let me know what happens.

Also, did you buy it new or refurbished?
It's new from what I'm aware of. I done what you asked, but I don't have that many FPS games. Call of duty black ops 2 and sword art online vs accel world were probably the best I could do and they didnt have any problems.

Also re attempted ETS2MP but still got 20 fps. it feels more like an fps cap than a frame drop tho

PC_Gamer_Tom

Honorable
Aug 25, 2014
Try Warframe; not an FPS, but quite demanding.

Also try capping your games with Rivatuner.
Gave a run in the first few missions, FPS was steady at high settings and such.

I used EVGA Precision X1 to cap the fps, since should do the same thing really? No change to the drops tho.

Edit: Starting to notice that there is sometimes input delays aswell, like turning the camera, I would stop moving the mouse but the cam would move for an extra second or two. Same for the keys for driving. I thought this was just a CPU bottleneck in Forza horizon 4 (not installed rn) but it shouldnt be happening in ETS2 or even roblox, right? Usage is around the 60-70% on the CPU tho

Last edited:

ZuRriX

Reputable
Jul 14, 2019
First of I NEVER had my GPU go to 100%, ever, no matter what I was doing. But, having your CPU at 60-70% load while playing Roblox? That's crazy, unless you have a really, really old CPU, but shouldn't happen with an i5...

PC_Gamer_Tom

Honorable
Aug 25, 2014
I'm considering re installing my PC, but I want it as a last resort if nothing else works.

I also just tested American Truck sim and it ran slightly slower than usual but not as if it was an fps cap like in ets2 or roblox issues. 40% cpu usage, 100% gpu, 30-40 fps

Sounds like you may have a rogue program running in the background stealing your GPU... Are you sure you don't have anything using your GPU while you play or even at desktop?

There's plenty malware that tries to mine coins, so keep an eye on that.

Cheers!

PC_Gamer_Tom

Honorable
Aug 25, 2014
Sounds like you may have a rogue program running in the background stealing your GPU... Are you sure you don't have anything using your GPU while you play or even at desktop?

There's plenty malware that tries to mine coins, so keep an eye on that.

Cheers!
100%, the task manager only shows the game that is using the GPU. And for roblox, if I played one game (lets say a train game), it would go to 100%. I then go to a popular shooter game in it and its barely using 15%. Same engine, different game. Not excluded to that specific train game btw.

Well, Roblox uses simple geometry that can indeed use 100% of the GPU to push 600FPS, so the key would be to limit the FPS and then see if that helps alleviate the problem. The other possible reason is the Roblox client you're using is garbage. I know there's a browser based version and a client. Try using Chrome for the web-based one.

Cheers!

PC_Gamer_Tom

Honorable
Aug 25, 2014
Well, Roblox uses simple geometry that can indeed use 100% of the GPU to push 600FPS, so the key would be to limit the FPS and then see if that helps alleviate the problem. The other possible reason is the Roblox client you're using is garbage. I know there's a browser based version and a client. Try using Chrome for the web-based one.

Cheers!
Roblox is actually forced to be capped at 60 fps unless you get an exploit. I have gotten the browser one too since it's generally more optimized and not as frustrating to use.

The client is also updated every Wednesday and this has been happening since Saturday, and also effects ETS2 (now understood to effect singleplayer aswell with or without traffic)

Roblox is actually forced to be capped at 60 fps unless you get an exploit. I have gotten the browser one too since it's generally more optimized and not as frustrating to use.

The client is also updated every Wednesday and this has been happening since Saturday, and also effects ETS2 (now understood to effect singleplayer aswell with or without traffic)
And you haven't upgraded your drivers?

Have you seen any Windows updates being applied in your PC? Or any other changes you could think of?

Cheers!

PC_Gamer_Tom

Honorable
Aug 25, 2014
And you haven't upgraded your drivers?

Have you seen any Windows updates being applied in your PC? Or any other changes you could think of?

Cheers!
I've only updated after I've been experiencing the issues yesterday, but reverted it later.

I don't remember any windows updates. Latest thing I have installed was Vysor, app to view my phone via my PC, but that was some time ago last week.

I've only updated after I've been experiencing the issues yesterday, but reverted it later.

I don't remember any windows updates. Latest thing I have installed was Vysor, app to view my phone via my PC, but that was some time ago last week.
Have you ever used "ProcessExplorer"? If you haven't, I suggest you try it and see if there's anything using either your CPU or GPU when you're gaming, other than the game.

Other than that, I just don't see any other options than the new client for Roblox screwing up with your drivers. As for ETS2, are you running any mods? I don't remember seeing any ETS2 upgrades recently.

Cheers!

PC_Gamer_Tom

Honorable
Aug 25, 2014
Have you ever used "ProcessExplorer"? If you haven't, I suggest you try it and see if there's anything using either your CPU or GPU when you're gaming, other than the game.

Other than that, I just don't see any other options than the new client for Roblox screwing up with your drivers. As for ETS2, are you running any mods? I don't remember seeing any ETS2 upgrades recently.

Cheers!
Never heard of ProcessExplorer, I could give it a shot.

For ETS2, I do have some mods, but I have tried disabling them with no luck. It lags tho even if i was in a multiplayer server with lowest graphics.

Last edited:
Never heard of ProcessExplorer, I could give it a shot.

For ETS2, I do have some mods, but I have tried disabling them with no luck. It lags tho even if i was in a multiplayer server with lowest graphics.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

It's a tool hosted in MS'es site even. It's a really good replacement for the Task Manager.

As for ETS2, then I have no idea what could be happening. What if it's the CPU instead? Have you been monitoring the CPU?

ETS2 and Roblox are really dependent on CPU.

Cheers!

PC_Gamer_Tom

Honorable
Aug 25, 2014
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

It's a tool hosted in MS'es site even. It's a really good replacement for the Task Manager.

As for ETS2, then I have no idea what could be happening. What if it's the CPU instead? Have you been monitoring the CPU?

ETS2 and Roblox are really dependent on CPU.

Cheers!
Tested the software you sent, both show only the GPU still being intensive on the games, no other process.

Is there any chance that dust could affect the GPU?

Tested the software you sent, both show only the GPU still being intensive on the games, no other process.

Is there any chance that dust could affect the GPU?
Run ProcessExplorer as administrator, or it won't show everything in the PC.

And if you opened the GPU or something, yes. Regular "dusting", unless it's really bad and causes heat to not move, shouldn't degrade the cooling performance to the levels you're struggling with.

Cheers!

PC_Gamer_Tom

Honorable
Aug 25, 2014
Run ProcessExplorer as administrator, or it won't show everything in the PC.

And if you opened the GPU or something, yes. Regular "dusting", unless it's really bad and causes heat to not move, shouldn't degrade the cooling performance to the levels you're struggling with.

Cheers!
Still shows majority on the game only for the GPU. CPU is around 20% in ETS2.

Could it be a memory issue in the GPU instead? Any time I load into the menu, its also at 20fps for a while and then smooths back up to its normal 300fps

Last edited:
Still shows majority on the game only for the GPU. CPU is around 20% in ETS2.

Could it be a memory issue in the GPU instead? Any time I load into the menu, its also at 20fps for a while and then smooths back up to its normal 300fps
Wait, what? You'll have to explain that in more details for each game as "menues" are not necessarily running in the same portion of the game engine as the rest. For ETS2, I know it's a separate instance of the engine that loads up the full menu, but I have no idea about Roblox.

Cheers!

PC_Gamer_Tom

Honorable
Aug 25, 2014
Wait, what? You'll have to explain that in more details for each game as "menues" are not necessarily running in the same portion of the game engine as the rest. For ETS2, I know it's a separate instance of the engine that loads up the full menu, but I have no idea about Roblox.

Cheers!
Nevermind, I got it confused with something else.

I'll update when I find something else anyways. Power issues maybe. Checking on the cabling.

PC_Gamer_Tom

Honorable
Aug 25, 2014
Final update (probably). So, the issues is fixed, but I did not do anything to change it.

Roblox is back to 30% usage on all games (apart from the cpu bottleneck i had much before).

ETS2 is no longer chugging at 20FPS, running at max graphics again.

Might have been an off few days for the GPU. Nothing is explainable as there was no updates either.