Question gtx 1080 gpu boots with amd a12-9800 apu but will not boot with ryzen 5 2600.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

stiabhan

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2014
Good Afternoon, I could use a fresh pair of eyes. My computer boots a rx 580 all the way into windows with both processors but the gtx 1080 will only boot with the apu and get only lights and fans with the ryzen 5. I started with a ASUS b350 board and then bought a used MSI B450 board. Same issue, except now (I think) the bios on the msi board is too new and doesn't support the apu chip. So, no life at all with the apu. I updated the bios on the asus b350 board to the last bios that still supported the A12 apu. No improvement. I have reseated both ram and gpu to no effect on both boards. Changed the ram out for different sticks, tried a different power supply. no effect. Gave the gtx 1080 to a buddy and he said the gpu works great in his machine. 4 or 5 months ago I tried a gtx 1050 ti and it worked fine, so don't think it's a nvidia vs amd thing. Also, I have only been using a hdmi cable, 'cause I don't have the right cables or ports on my monitor to use vga, dvi, or displayport. But hdmi works fine on one cpu but not the other. What am I missing? Any other info you would like to know?

stiabhan

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2014
I tried the gtx 1080 on the msi board now that I was able to force the mobo to boot in x8 mode. Still wouldn't boot the 1080, and the vga debug light still comes on. So, I took the next slightly scary step of reflashing the bios of the gpu with the matching bios from techpowerup (same bios as the one already on the gpu) and still only boots in x8 mode on the dell x58_socket 1366 mobo with the xeon w3580 cpu. That's what I'm using right now to write this. Next, I will try booting it in the msi board with the R5 2600 and see if anything has changed but I'm not holding my breath. Does anybody have any other ideas to try?

D

Deleted member 2947362

I tried the gtx 1080 on the msi board now that I was able to force the mobo to boot in x8 mode. Still wouldn't boot the 1080, and the vga debug light still comes on. So, I took the next slightly scary step of reflashing the bios of the gpu with the matching bios from techpowerup (same bios as the one already on the gpu) and still only boots in x8 mode on the dell x58_socket 1366 mobo with the xeon w3580 cpu. That's what I'm using right now to write this. Next, I will try booting it in the msi board with the R5 2600 and see if anything has changed but I'm not holding my breath. Does anybody have any other ideas to try?
no but I would love to what the issue is?

Because other than some kind of hardware conflict or damage trace maybe even a surface mounted resistor (just above the gold traces on the gfx card) has been knock off or damaged when inserting the card into the motherboard slot (that just sounds wrong lol) ?

stiabhan

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2014
lol. Last thing I've tried is scraping the contacts on both sides of the card with a pencil eraser and then cleaning them with 91% rubbing alcohol hoping against hope that there was some kind clear laquer covering a few contacts preventing it from being read correctly. Both alas, no such luck.