GTX 1080 less FPS than 980ti???

rockyjudd

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
So I just replaced my EVGA 980ti watercooled GPU with a EVGA 1080 SC but I am getting subpar results to say the least.
In overwatch my FPS has dropped from 144 to 90. In Witcher 3, my old 980ti settings aren't even playable. Clock numbers are correct, and neither card is/was overclocked.

Could it be a software or driver issue? I've uninstalled/reinstalled. Is there a way to test for hardware failures?

Any help is greatly appreciated, Thanks!

Solution
What you are experiencing is poor optimization when comparing the gtx 1080 vs the 980ti. The 1080 drivers are still being worked on and the card is not even seeing its potential. That is why you have lower performance but your test results are showing the card isn't even breaking a sweat.
Give it time and as more drivers are laid out and optimizations are made aswell and the potential with dx12 is unlocked, the 1080 will show its true performance.

I've been scouring videos and forums for days and these questions and solutions are popping up everywhere. But it is nothing new. The same thing happens every generation. Not only are we in a new series but we have a new architecture and looking at dx12

rockyjudd

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
It doesn't seem like it's throttling, just plain slow. Clock stays at a consistent 1900-1950, GPU temp not going about 70. Seems like it's using a small amount of memory maybe? 1200-2100mb in the small amount of testing i've done.

Thanks for the reply.

rockyjudd

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
I'm using an i5 4690k and 16 GB of hyperfuryx ddr3 1600. Wouldn't think it's a bottleneck because my 980ti worked awesome with same components. I'm leaning towards drivers as well, but I thought a reinstall would fix it and it hasn't.

Dugimodo

Distinguished
If it didn't bottleneck the 980Ti to those levels there's no reason to expect it to start doing it now. Likley a driver issue as said. Are you sure the game settings haven't changed?, haven't let the Nvidia software set any "optimal" settings for you or anything? I'm not a fan of that feature myself.

Just a personal comment but I wouldn't have bothered with that upgrade. I'm sticking with my reference 980 until something doesn't play well before I consider upgrading. I can afford it but no need to spend money just for the sake of it.

That should be fine, just wanted to check you weren't using something like a FX 8350, which may struggle.
To test your card, you could try MSI afterburner, it may show where the issue is.

rockyjudd

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
Sorry, I'm stupid, what do you mean "check for beta drivers"?
I'm certain my game setting for witcher 3 haven't changed and the difference in favor of the 980ti is massive. I never use the "optimal" settings either. According to geforce experience, I have the newest drivers.

I agree, I wouldn't have upgraded either, but I bought the 980ti the same day the 1080 was announced, so it was either keep the 980ti or save $50 and return it for a 1080.

rockyjudd

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
I downloaded DDU and removed all drivers and reinstalled. No difference. Newest drivers listed from EVGA are 368.25, newest from geforce experience is 368.39 (maybe that's the beta driver?). Tried both and no noticeable differences.

melenie

Commendable
Jun 9, 2016
What you are experiencing is poor optimization when comparing the gtx 1080 vs the 980ti. The 1080 drivers are still being worked on and the card is not even seeing its potential. That is why you have lower performance but your test results are showing the card isn't even breaking a sweat.
Give it time and as more drivers are laid out and optimizations are made aswell and the potential with dx12 is unlocked, the 1080 will show its true performance.

I've been scouring videos and forums for days and these questions and solutions are popping up everywhere. But it is nothing new. The same thing happens every generation. Not only are we in a new series but we have a new architecture and looking at dx12

Solution

technoholic

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008

I agree you on possible driver issues BUT what driver did the reviewers use when they tested the new card? i mean if the card displayed a massive lead over 980ti in reviews why would it perform poorly in a user pc?

rockyjudd

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010

Right? This is how I feel. I'm playing overwatch right now on high setting instead of max and seeing very poor performance. It's not a small difference. I was getting a consistent 144hz without any spikes but now at a lower setting I am doing 90-130 fps. There has to be a problem somewhere, optimization would be a good excuse if the card was say only 10% faster...but 50% slower just doesn't make sense.

melenie

Commendable
Jun 9, 2016

The majority of issues are being raised by your normal everyday users (you guys) who are not seeing the results that these benchmark videos are publishing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmsfw9GnWUY

^600k+ subscribers. Benchmarks showing the gtx1080 to trounce all previous cards below even the titan x and 980ti

UPDATE:

Watch this vid below. Scroll to 11mins 10seconds and watch from there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHrR4lnDOPg
"including a press driver direct from nvidia for the GTX 1080"
Could it be these guys are using a driver not yet released to the public???