Gtx 1080 palit sli running too hot

ph111hud0

Commendable
Jan 31, 2017
Hello everybody I have something strange that I need solving. OK here goes. I have built a new machine with an MSI z270 Xpower titanium gaming motherboard, I7 7700K Kaby Lake 4.2ghz, corsair dominator 3000mhz ddr4, h80i v2 CPU cooler, corsair rm1000x PSU, no optical drives, Samsung ssd 120gb, Toshiba 3tb hard drive, and 2 x gtx 1080 palit game rock premium edition GPU cards in sli with the nvidia HB sli bridge, all inside a nice cooler master had xb evo case with 200mm top fan for extraction. Now the issue I'm having is I have sufficient cooling, all fans are running at full speed on the case, there's sufficient power to all components, and the motherboard has 20+cm gap between 2 cards in sli mode. So why is my gtx 1080 in the top slot pushing the 82-83 degrees mark????? I have tried swapping the cards around to see if it is the card and the same happens, the card in the top slot gets hot, yet if I put only one card in and not in sli mode it runs cool and maxes out at 67 degrees. Is it because in sli mode the cards are being punished more??? I am playing in 4k like. What am I missing ?? Is it safe at 83 degrees ??

Solution
Sorry old thread I know, but what the heck :) That is a freakin awesome rig by the way. Okay so firstly, 83 degrees is not the end of the world, especially for a 1080 card since they have been known to run at 92 degrees when at full load, and you are pushing 4K so that card is working at full blast. Also what are you playing? Both cards could potentially reach that temperature, but the game you are playing is not optimised for SLI scaling (i.e. it is not making full use of both cards at the same time). So it might not actually be a problem with the actual position the card occupies on the motherboard.

When it comes to an overheating card, the best you can do is to fight it with proper case cooling (either that or water cooling). Make...

ph111hud0

Commendable
Jan 31, 2017

hi there, thanks for replying.
I don't think that will resolve the issue because the cooler master haf xb evo case has a huge square vent at the top of the case and I have a 200mm fan extracting air out from the board below, the cards are more or less directly below the fan and I think this help because the way the palit cards expel heat is to suck the air into the card and expel from the side ie: the card pushes the air out into the direction of fan that is sitting above them , so in all the air is being expelled away from them. I did have the fan pulling air into the case but it was spreading the heat downwards and across the motherboard and pushing the hot air into the cards which wasn't good.
I have tried to contact palit to find out the exact temperatures that these cards should max out at just to see if 82 or 83 degrees is safe for a 1080 card, but haven't heard back yet. ive been watching videos on youtube and some of the 4k sli configurations also have their cards reaching 83 degrees and they seem to think its safe because they continue to play their games at this kind of level. I think I'm just being over cautious really. of course I don't want my new build to go pop on me just because of some temperature issue. ive now set the fan curve to hit 100% at 75 degrees but they are pretty loud now like an airplane.

bonechiller1

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2013
Sorry old thread I know, but what the heck :) That is a freakin awesome rig by the way. Okay so firstly, 83 degrees is not the end of the world, especially for a 1080 card since they have been known to run at 92 degrees when at full load, and you are pushing 4K so that card is working at full blast. Also what are you playing? Both cards could potentially reach that temperature, but the game you are playing is not optimised for SLI scaling (i.e. it is not making full use of both cards at the same time). So it might not actually be a problem with the actual position the card occupies on the motherboard.

When it comes to an overheating card, the best you can do is to fight it with proper case cooling (either that or water cooling). Make sure your PC MOVES air, meaning that you should ideally have the same amount of intake and exhaust fans. If you have a big exhaust fan, like you do, put two intake fans into your case to balance out the airflow.

The more air moves through the case, the more your cards have an oppertunity to breathe.

Also, all GPU manufacturers put really crappy thermal grease onto the chips of their cards. I have seen people shave up to about 4 degrees off their brand new GPU's just because they replaced the thermal grease straight away.

Hope this belated answer helps!!

Solution