GTX 1080 reaching over 80 degrees

Sep 25, 2018
Hey,
I built my first PC in early August this year, and initially, my Gigabyte GTX 1080 temps were fine at around 60 degrees on average while playing Fortnite at high settings. Recently, though, my card has started to reach 80 degrees in an hour or sometimes less while playing on same settings, and basically staying at 70 degrees or higher at all times. My CPU is an i7 8700K, and has temps around 30-40 degrees while this is happening, and I have updated my Nvidia graphics drivers. Any ideas?

My motherboard is an Aorus gaming 5, and I have 3 case fans to go along with the two attached to my CPU's cooler.

Solution
download ddu go into safe mode clear out all the old nvidia drivers. if the temps are the same use msi after burner see if nvidia drivers have changed there fan profile. if with a known good fan profile the gpu is running hot check with gpu-z see if the voltage to the gpu has been changed (over clocked) if not may have had a part fail on the gpu or the thermal paste for the gpu chip may have dried out.
Sep 25, 2018
MERGED QUESTION
Question from atnelson09 : "GTX 1080 reaching over 80 degrees"

Hey,
I built my first PC in early August this year, and initially, my Gigabyte GTX 1080 temps were fine at around 60 degrees on average while playing Fortnite at high settings. Recently, though, my card has started to reach 80 degrees in an hour or sometimes less while playing on same settings, and basically staying at 70 degrees or higher at all times. My CPU is an i7 8700K, and has temps around 30-40 degrees while this is happening, and I have updated my Nvidia graphics drivers. Any ideas?

My motherboard is an Aorus gaming 5, and I have 3 case fans to go along with the two attached to my CPU's cooler

download ddu go into safe mode clear out all the old nvidia drivers. if the temps are the same use msi after burner see if nvidia drivers have changed there fan profile. if with a known good fan profile the gpu is running hot check with gpu-z see if the voltage to the gpu has been changed (over clocked) if not may have had a part fail on the gpu or the thermal paste for the gpu chip may have dried out.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS