Question Gtx 1080 rog strix no display

Breaking431

Reputable
May 4, 2021
So my story here guys i just really need help , i had gtx 970 , i bought from a friend , gtx 1080 rog strix i removed my gtx 970 and put the gtx 1080 fans spins a bit and led on the gpu works fine display is on went to desktop and after 5 mins the display went off but the pc is still running , i than restart my pc and it works fine than i played pubg for 5 mins or more no issues , few minutes after playing , i i i uninstalled the gtx 970 driver restarted my pc to install the gtx 1080 driver , download 1080 driver the screen went off , after that i swapped it and put the gtx 97p works fine , put the gtx 1080 again now there is no display , and also the fans on the gpu are not even spinning and also no led on the gpu at all , sorry for the long story , i just wanted to put as detail as possible ,what is causing it? Please help , much appreciated

Gtx 1080 rog strix
Psu cougar 80plus 500w
Cpu i7 6700k
16 gb of ram ( viper and teamgroup )
Wind 10

Breaking431

Reputable
May 4, 2021
you need to include the model, and include it's overall time in use.

some of their units were rather low quality.
there's a good chance this one just can't put out the necessary power when under heavy use,
regardless of what it's stated wattage may be.
Thanks for the reply , i got it on amazon 2.5 years ago , and its CGR st-500

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
GTX 970 = 145W
GTX 1080 = 180W

Many GTX 970 used dual six pin if I recall. GTX 1080 reference card used 1 8-pin.

If your Cougar power supply doesn't have the required connectors, it really isn't suitable for running the card.

Technically only a 450W PSU on the 12V rail, and significantly more 5V and 3.3V then is needed in computers as new as 6th gen. That indicates it is an old group regulated design, not really suitable.

Reactions: JohnBonhamsGhost

Breaking431

Reputable
May 4, 2021
GTX 970 = 145W
GTX 1080 = 180W

Many GTX 970 used dual six pin if I recall. GTX 1080 reference card used 1 8-pin.

If your Cougar power supply doesn't have the required connectors, it really isn't suitable for running the card.

Technically only a 450W PSU on the 12V rail, and significantly more 5V and 3.3V then is needed in computers as new as 6th gen. That indicates it is an old group regulated design, not really suitable.

Thank u , it has 6+8pin connector the cougar one ,i also forgot to mention that i tried my other corsair psu cx600M with it and it went to desktop normal this is before after i swapped my gtx 970 , but now i wanted to give it a try and put the corsair cx600m and there is no display also? Did i break something , what would cause the issue? Is there something on bios or something like that , thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
BIOS update wouldn't hurt.
vBIOS update is more risky, but also a potential solution.

CX600m is a more competent unit, depending on its age. Though even the old green label one is likely a better unit then the Cougar.

It is possible the card has simply broken. Do you have another system to test with?

Oct 8, 2024
Make sure your power supply unit (PSU) is working
Press the Windows key + Ctrl + Shift + b to force a refresh of the video display/adapter.
Try using a different display cable or monitor

Breaking431

Reputable
May 4, 2021
BIOS update wouldn't hurt.
vBIOS update is more risky, but also a potential solution.

CX600m is a more competent unit, depending on its age. Though even the old green label one is likely a better unit then the Cougar.

It is possible the card has simply broken. Do you have another system to test with?
Okay im getting worried now , i tried the psu the corsair one another psu basicslly , and with both psu, the fans are not spinning, even the led on the gpu itself nothing no leds no gpu fans spin , just notging and no display only the pc is on, what the heck just happened

Last edited:

Breaking431

Reputable
May 4, 2021
this is a fairly old card now.

it's possible that it just died on it's own
or even that a lower quality PSU caused damage.
Okay sorry for the confusion here , and thank you for your help , appreciate it , what i did ,here i did nothing basicslly i just turned off my pc maybe i clicked the pcie connector , but it was already in the gpu. , changed ram and it works? Gpu fans running normal , test it on furmarj for 10 mins everything is fine , played pubg for 30 mins everything works fine , i dont know what happened tho , even tho im getting fps drops abit maybe because its a driver issue? So should i be happy now and say the card is fine ? But i just wonder why all this happened ? And suddely works , also i tried on the psu corsair 600w not the 500w and it just works, i feel relief now but still hehe , what should i do next pls