GTX 1080Ti upgrade problem

Sep 25, 2018
Hello everyone! 

I have no idea where else to turn, I formerly had an EVGA GTX 1060 6 gb, and wanted to upgrade to the 1080 TI... so I did just that. However, after installation... things took a turn for the worse. first lets get this out of the way:

Current rig:

Gigabyte GTX 1080 Ti

I7-7700k @4.4hz (stable)
16GB of ram

1080p monitor (for now until I get the 4k)

1500w PSU

64 bit Windows 10

So: Here is what happens, for example I will start Battlefield 1 to test new GPUs typically. So I set everything all the way up, no memory restriction, 200 percent render scale etc. At first everything is incredibly smooth and satisfying, then the frame rate slowly creeps down from 75 to 50 to 30 to 20 to 15 then it stays there. or gets worse (this happens in about 5 mins) The game does this on DX11 or DX12 mode. (not that DX12 works well on that game). I figure ok I will try other games. The exact same thing has happened in every single one of these games: No Man's Sky, Skyrim,. Crysis 3, Battlefront 2, even easy ones like Earth Defense force do this. Even taking these games down to 720p doesn't change a thing.

Things I have tried:

I have already used the DDU to undo completely all of the old drivers and the like with fresh ones. Twice.

switching the placement on the motherboard. Didn't change anything.

Using the Gigabye OC software and monitor. Trying the different modes didn't change anything.

So I am getting desperate here. I hope someone can help!

Sep 29, 2018
Get an overlay and look at your GPU temps while the FPS decreases; if the card gets too hot it will throttle its performance to protect itself from damage, so performing worse and lowering your FPS...

Sep 29, 2018

With 200% render scale you get a much smoother picture as in this case, the game is rendering in 4k, then being downscaled to 1080p. This means that for every one pixel on his screen, 4 pixels are being combined to make it.