Question GTX 1650 burned by HDMI cable. Is it fixable?

Dec 31, 2022
Hello everyone,

This is my first post here, due to circumstances.

I recently burned my nephew's GTX 1650 due to a faulty HDMI cable. Even my TV died, but that's another topic...

I opened it up, you can clearly see where it's burned by the pictures. The chip itself looks okay.

My question is, can this be fixed? I want to see if I have options to fix it somewhere.

There are tech firms in my city where they do re-balling of chips, but I don't know if they are able to replace some of the burned parts.

Could I please get some advice? I don't want to spend another 180€ on a graphics card and I'm looking for a cheaper solution.

Any advice would be helpful!

viber-image-2023-01-08-18-23-04-448.jpg

viber-image-2023-01-08-18-23-04-622.jpg
viber-image-2023-01-08-18-23-04-448.jpg

Assuming that the only thing that burnt up where those SMD components that are charred, then it's certainly fixable. The problem is trying to find the right components. If something more than those SMD components are damaged, then you'd have to find which chip is damaged, and that's not a fun process.

I'd wager it'd be more expensive to repair this part because of the time taken to troubleshoot, unless someone is already well experienced with these cards.

USAFRet

Titan
"Is it fixable?"

This is actually two questions:
  1. Replacing those cooked components will maybe fix it. This requires a lot of diagnostics and eventual skill.
  2. Can you do it?

Unless you already know what you're doing and have the tools and experience, it will likely cost more than the "180€ " to "fix it".

AntonyLovric

Distinguished
Question #1: Do the other inputs work ok? Can you run the card with DVI or DisplayPort? (You can get DVI to HDMI adapters.)
Question #2: How old is the card? You can try to contact the vendor (EVGA/ASUS/whatever), explain the scenario. They might offer you a refurbished card for a discount.

randyh121

Prominent
Jan 3, 2023
The cost of labor to pay someone to do it would be more than buying a new one
And if you decide to do it yourself, the cost to buy the equipment to fix it yourself would also be more expensive than buying a new one
not worth it imo