[SOLVED] GTX 1650 Super vs RX 580 - power issue

matpol7

Prominent
Oct 7, 2019
Hello. I'm using Ryzen 5 3600, 16GB of RAM, Msi Tomahawk Max motherboard , everything powered by 550W power supply. I'm trying to pick the right graphic card for my display - it's 21:9 FullHD. I know 4GB in 1650 Super might have a bit to small amount of VRAM considering it use for the next few years. I also know the Nvidia architecture in 1650 is fresher, as RX 580 is a bit too old. My question is - what's more important for the future - Turing architecture over Polaris or 8GB over 4GB? I'm also not sure whether my power supply is enough for RX 580 with the rest of my set? I'll be using my computer for gaming mostly. I would be very grateful for any help.

Solution
GTX1650 super generally performs ahead of the RX580.

The 8gb vram of the RX580 will be nice if you try to play above 1080p, but honestly 4gb isn't that much of an issue right now for 1080p. In the future, it may be a bit.

If you can spring the bit extra for the 1650 super i would since its newer and a lot more power-efficient, although 550w will be fine for both cards.

What is the make and model of the PSU?
GTX1650 super generally performs ahead of the RX580.

The 8gb vram of the RX580 will be nice if you try to play above 1080p, but honestly 4gb isn't that much of an issue right now for 1080p. In the future, it may be a bit.

If you can spring the bit extra for the 1650 super i would since its newer and a lot more power-efficient, although 550w will be fine for both cards.

What is the make and model of the PSU?

Solution
80+ certification means nothing with regards to quality/reliability of a particular unit. 80+ certification just means the PSU reaches a particular level of efficiency (over 80% peak).

Heck, sometimes 80+ badges are faked or golden sample PSUs are tested to achieve 80+ certification where most units of that model actually wouldn't reach 80+.

That being said, i don't know too many decent units that arent at least 80+ bronze and yours is only white...

matpol7

Prominent
Oct 7, 2019
Thank you, got a few things understood better. Is this possible to eventually add another card to 1650 super in the future instead of cahnging it? My motherboard has 2 slots, would it work and give any better performance in the game?

Jan 22, 2020
not sure if im being of any help or not, but i too just got a 1650 super but my power supply cx600 seems like it isnt enough to run it (PC shuts off & turns on repeatedly (or maybe its because of everything else inside of the PC too))
maybe instead of a cx450, a much higher one like 750?
i dunno, just thought i would try and help somehow, i could be wong

I would strongly doubt the PSU wattage is the issue there. The Corsair CX600 was released nearly a decade ago and are not of strong quality either.

The newer Corsair CX 450/550/650 with a grey label on the side are much newer and much stronger quality and reliability. I have a CX550m and RX480 (basically an RX 580). Never skipped a beat.

Thank you, got a few things understood better. Is this possible to eventually add another card to 1650 super in the future instead of cahnging it? My motherboard has 2 slots, would it work and give any better performance in the game?
Nope. Neither your GTX1650 super nor your B450 motherboard support Nvidias SLI tech, so you cannot simply add another GPU. Even if you could, you would want a much more expensive higher wattage PSU.

TRENDING THREADS