supermanu15

Distinguished
I've seen benchmarks where they are trading blows depending on the game with sometimes the 1660Ti pulling ahead on some but the difference goes between 3-10 fps or so. I am looking for a high fps experience in 1080p. I am upgrading from an RX 470, will the difference be noticeable? Is it a good idea? I've seen 2nd hand 1070's that are less than or equal the price of brand new 1660Ti's, but what worries me is the warranty. So I wanna ask the community for inputs, thanks!

Solution
On 1080p, I don't think a lot of games are going to eat up more than 6 GB of VRAM, imo. Obviously, having extra VRAM might help if you plan to upgrade your Monitor in future, and play games with demanding AA settings, but the GTX 1660 Ti should do the job.

You are getting an extra 2GB VRAM if you get the 1660 Ti, but not many games are going to fill up the VRAM, with some exceptions. Like e..g, SHADOW OF MORDOR is a VRAM-hungry title. Depends on the type of game being played though.

You need to decide whether you really want that extra 2GB of frame buffer, based on the type of games you play, and the in-game Video/graphics settings applied for that particular title.

Are you playing Far Cry: PRIMAL in VSR mode/Virtual Super...
Yes, the performance difference is there between any of those 2 cards, when compared to the RX 470. Those cards are 60-70% faster, but this is just a rough estimate, taken from the internet. But get the GTX 1660 Ti, since this GPU is based on a new architecture as well.

Do NOT buy second hand or used GPUs. Always go for a brand new MODEL, if you can afford one. At least you will have some peace of mind.

Reactions: supermanu15

Mr.Stork

Reputable
Mar 24, 2019
Getting the 1660Ti is a good idea, not saying that because I got a 1660Ti, but because It's close if not better than the1070. I was in a budget and watched a lot, I mean a ton of reviews and came to the conclusion that 1660ti is better, at a cheaper price because of the new architecture. If you can, consider the 2060 (non-super), tho I wouldn't recommend it.
I got an overclocked MSI's version of the card and with some manual overclock I can reach above the 1070!

supermanu15

Distinguished
Hmm, I am just worried a bit about the 1660Ti's VRAM which is 2GB less than that of 1070's. Kind of like what happens when I play far cry primal for a while, when the VRAM gets full and the textures gets swapped, I get stutters when using my RX 470.

On 1080p, I don't think a lot of games are going to eat up more than 6 GB of VRAM, imo. Obviously, having extra VRAM might help if you plan to upgrade your Monitor in future, and play games with demanding AA settings, but the GTX 1660 Ti should do the job.

You are getting an extra 2GB VRAM if you get the 1660 Ti, but not many games are going to fill up the VRAM, with some exceptions. Like e..g, SHADOW OF MORDOR is a VRAM-hungry title. Depends on the type of game being played though.

You need to decide whether you really want that extra 2GB of frame buffer, based on the type of games you play, and the in-game Video/graphics settings applied for that particular title.

Are you playing Far Cry: PRIMAL in VSR mode/Virtual Super Resolution, or on native 1080p resolution ?

Solution

yaxy123

Reputable
Aug 3, 2017
Hmm, I am just worried a bit about the 1660Ti's VRAM which is 2GB less than that of 1070's. Kind of like what happens when I play far cry primal for a while, when the VRAM gets full and the textures gets swapped, I get stutters when using my RX 470.
6GB is more than enough for 1080P and even works for 1440p as long as you don't use Raytracing which you really can't.

yaxy123

Reputable
Aug 3, 2017
Nah, at this moment I think ray tracing is just a gimmick. I don't think it affects my gaming experience even the slightest.
As someone using ray tracing in Tomb raider and BF5 It's really cool, saying it's a gimmick is like calling Anti-aliasing a gimmick IMO. The performance hit is there but it's being lowered with time through driver updates.

Either way, the 1660 Ti isn't an RTX card so it doesn't have the ray tracing cores.

But yeah 6GB is plenty, had a 1060 6GB and gamed with 1080p 144hz before, never even got close to 6 GB.

supermanu15

Distinguished
As someone using ray tracing in Tomb raider and BF5 It's really cool, saying it's a gimmick is like calling Anti-aliasing a gimmick IMO. The performance hit is there but it's being lowered with time through driver updates.

Either way, the 1660 Ti isn't an RTX card so it doesn't have the ray tracing cores.

But yeah 6GB is plenty, had a 1060 6GB and gamed with 1080p 144hz before, never even got close to 6 GB.
"Cool" is subjective I guess, I don't see it as something that improves my gaming experience at all. Plus the performance hit is still present as of this time. Sure it'll be adopted by future titles but yeah, still think its a gimmick. Besides, it's just an opinion, it can change over time.