Question GTX 4090 low power draw on certain games.

Aug 3, 2024
Hi everyone.
This is my first post here because I’m so desperated to find the solutions for my problems and hopefully I can get it solved from you guys’ advices.

I just bought a new PC rigs, 14900K + GTX 4090 + 32GB RAM + 1000W PSU. For some reasons it can not maintain 60 fps for Elden Ring RT On, not to mention I also have fps drop even at 1080p which is really weird. When I test it in Cyberpunk 2077 on RT using DLSS 3.5 at 1440p it doesn’t run smoothly with stutter during gameplay combat/action. I see people testing the game with the same CPU & GPU but they have very impressive ~100fps performance. On both cases I notice that my GPU power doesn’t reach it potential, it’s just roughly 140w on Elden Ring and 200w on Cyberpunk 2077.

I’ve been trying so many methods that I can look up online but still not improvement. It seems like something’s very wrong with my system that I have no ideal why and how to fix. Right now I’m thinking about returning my 4090 and get a new one.

Jun 23, 2024
I can't think of much without being able to physically use your computer. All I can think of is make sure Windows/Nvidia power settings are set to 'performance'. That wouldnt cause such severe issues as you described though.

Do you have another GPU you could test? Is your 4090 in the top most PCI slot?

Aug 3, 2024
I can't think of much without being able to physically use your computer. All I can think of is make sure Windows/Nvidia power settings are set to 'performance'. That wouldnt cause such severe issues as you described though.

Do you have another GPU you could test? Is your 4090 in the top most PCI slot?
Holy hell, my motherboard is Asus TUF Wifi Pro and base on the diagram my 4090 sits on the lower PCI slot, which is 3.0x16. Below is my motherboard PCI slot order. Do you think this could be the reason?
PCIe 5.0 x16 slot
PCIe 3.0 x16 slot

Jun 23, 2024
At the minimum, you'll know you fixed one mistake. I actually did the same thing myself a while back so don't feel bad, I had no idea it mattered either. It looked better in the bottom slot so thats where I put it lol. I didnt realize each lane has specifications for speed and throughput.

Not convinced this will solve your issue completely, but it will help regardless. The next thing we might want to look into are drivers and thermals/power delivery.

Reactions: MinatozakiSana
Aug 3, 2024
At the minimum, you'll know you fixed one mistake. I actually did the same thing myself a while back so don't feel bad, I had no idea it mattered either. It looked better in the bottom slot so thats where I put it lol. I didnt realize each lane has specifications for speed and throughput.

Not convinced this will solve your issue completely, but it will help regardless. The next thing we might want to look into are drivers and thermals/power delivery.
This completely solved my problem. Truly appriciate your help. Now I can finally enjoy it.

Reactions: awake283