Jan 19, 2008
IMG_4649.jpg

IMG_4649.jpg

IMG_4128.jpg

IMG_4645.jpg

IMG_4088.jpg

More Pics (Link below)

http://pbckt.com/s3.wnJ

Today I just got my new Galaxy Gtx 480 and replaced it with my old 8800gtx. I thought I would post pics and I did some benchmarks just in case any of you with an 8800gtx wants to see what upgrading to a Gtx 480 will do.

I am upgrading the Gtx 480 to a water cooling kit, but unfortunately I had some trouble with parts getting damaged and am waiting for my new parts to arrive, also, I just got lucky enough to order a Danger Den GTX 480 Block with nickel top and copper base. So when I get that, and All my parts, Ill repost everything with the new pics. Hope you enjoy.

Here are the benchmarks:

Thermaltake ArmorPlus(Armor+) VH6000BWS
Motherboard Name Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R-SLI
CPU Type QuadCore Intel Core i7 920, 3200 MHz (20 x 160)
System Memory 3072 MB 3 x 1 GB DDR3-1333 (Corsair XMS3 CM3X1G1333C9)
Audio Adapter Creative SB X-Fi XtremeMusic
Hitatchi 1.0 terabyte deskstar 7200rpm 32mb buffer
Windows 7 ultimate 64

Graphics cards- 8800 Gtx vs. Gtx 480

All test ran on 8800 Gtx, then card pulled out and switched to Gtx 480 and ran again.

Crysis benchmark

Settings:

1920 x 1200
Anti Aliasing= 8X
DirectX 10
64bit
quality settings- all set to VeryHigh
loops= 1
time of day= 9

8800 Gtx:
Min FPS= 2.65
Max FPS= 8.20
Ave FPS= 6.89

Gtx 480:
Min FPS= 14.67
Max FPS= 30.17
Ave FPS= 25.32

Far Cry 2

Settings:

Ranch Long
loops= 1
1920 x 1200
Anti Aliasing= 8X
DirectX 10
Quality Settings- everything set to very high
accept Ambient and Post FX are set to high
Bloom & HDR are checked

8800 Gtx:
Min FPS= 16.26
Max FPS= 57.07
Ave FPS= 28.38

Gtx 480:
Min FPS= 48.30
Max FPS= 157.05
Ave FPS= 86.94

Heaven Benchmark 2.0

Settings:

DirectX 10
Shaders= high
Anistropy= 16
Anti-aliasing= 4X
Fullscreen
Resolution= 1920 x 1200

8800 Gtx:
Min FPS= 8.6
Max FPS= 36.1
Ave FPS= 18.7

Gtx 480:
Min FPS= 26.1
Max FPS= 91.9
Ave FPS= 47.5

Grand Theft Auto IV

Thought you might like this test as gpu in this situation makes a huge difference.

Settings:

Graphics Settings
Video Mode: 1920 x 1200 (60 Hz)
Texture Quality: Medium
Shadow Quality: High
Reflection Resolution: Very High
Water Quality: Very High
Texture Filter Quality: Anisotropic x16
Night Shadows: High
View Distance: 100
Detail Distance: 100

other settings:
Vehicle Density= 100
definition= on

8800 Gtx:
AVE FPS= 30.55

Gtx 480
Ave FPS= 64.79

OTHER:

GTAIV GTX 480 Max Settings

Statistics
Average FPS: 63.55
Duration: 37.34 sec
CPU Usage: 37%
System memory usage: 87%
Video memory usage: 85%

Graphics Settings
Video Mode: 1920 x 1200 (60 Hz)
Texture Quality: High
Shadow Quality: Very High
Reflection Resolution: Very High
Water Quality: Very High
Texture Filter Quality: Anisotropic x16
Night Shadows: Very High
View Distance: 100
Detail Distance: 100

other settings:
Vehicle Density= 100
definition= on

Temp Comparison
(i did not do an exact benchmark, these are just the min and max I observed)

8800 GTX: (with aftermarket cooler)
Min Temp= 42C
Max Temp= 56C

GTX 480:
Min Temp=49C
Max Temp=90C
UPDATE: Max temp has hit 91C so far, I will update if I see higher temps.
UPDATE: Min temp so far is 46C

On a side note: My case is a huge case, and is a little loud, but,
going from the 8800 Gtx to the Gtx 480, I have not noticed it being any louder at all. I was expecting a huge difference, but I don't think anyone would notice a sound difference, even at full load. Maybe it's the placement of my case, I dunno.
I actually think the card is very quiet in the thermalright armo+ case.

UPDATE: I have noticed in some games when I'm playing for a bit that the fan does get loud, it's not extremely loud, but it is noticeable. It's like it's warning me, "hey, im getting hot, hurry up and water cool me"..

dreamphantom_1977

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008
Thanks. :) Cant' wait to get the water cooling setup. Should have the parts and get that all setup by next week. Feel bad for everyone who is still camping around there pc trying to get a card. I just checked tiger direct, were I got the card, looks like they are sold out. Hopefully they get the other batches out quickly.

I was playing last night, so nice to be able to max every setting again.

I was kinda worried about metro 2033, because it says for optimal settings you need 8gb of ram!! Luckily, I only run 1920 x 1200 max on my monitor, as it runs max settings 30-50 FPS. So, if you run that res.

I was playing just cause 2 demo last night, cranked those settings to, and getting around 50-60 fps. Water looks awsome in that game. All the ripples and everything.

Anyways, i'm very happy I bought the card. Only regret is I wish I got an Evga card, as the warranty will be void when I mod it. But, I doubt i'll have any problems, as normally heat is normally what ruins a card. I voided the warranty on the 8800gtx and it lasted me 3 years. Water cooling it should give me extra years. And I fully tested the card, and it seems like it runs just fine, no artifacts or anything, no bsod's. On a side note, my computer used to freeze for like 10 seconds during boot, I thought it was normal, but now it doesn't do that. I think it had to do with running the 8800. Old card in new motherboard. So this card actually fixed a problem I was having. Even the desktop runs quicker in windows 7. So happy. :)

dreamphantom_1977

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008

I gave it to my friend. It's actually a funny story, see I tried buying the card from tiger direct, but my credit (debit) card company was having comuter issues so my card wouldn't approve of it, even though I had money in the bank (spent like 3 hours on and off the phone with them but they couldn't fix it :fou: ), and I wanted to get one before they sold out, so I told my buddy if he lets me use his credit card that he can have my old card, cuz he wanted it to go SLI on one of his computers. So, after my card arrived, and I took the pictures,then I gave it to him.

Don't worry, I actually had the money in his bank before they even put took it out. So now we are both happy, I got my card, he has his card. I was gonna just put it in a display case and put in on the shelf as a backup card anyways, but it's worth giving up if it saved me a month camping on the computer trying to get a card that no one knows when it will be out.

dreamphantom_1977

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008
Well, here are a couple of picks of my parts I have so far- All I need now is the gpu cooler, and I almost forgot I need the fans too, Luckily radioshack sells some for like 10 bucks each down the road. Only gonna probably mount 4 at first and if I need more upgrade later.

I have two radiators because one got damaged during shipping, and I was gonna send it back, but performance-pcs.com told me I don't have to. So, I'm gonna leak test it, and if it doesn't leak, then i'm gonna mount them both. That should be enough to keep my gtx 480 cool huh?

Anyways, I was trying to install the anti-kink coil on the hose, just to see how to do it, but it is so tight I can barely get it on past a few coils, is there a trick to it?

Also, are there any specific torque recommendations I should use when tightening my barbs? Should I add greese or anything to the O-rings?

Still trying to figure out the loop diagram. I'm thinking, pump, gpu, radiator, radiator, reservoir. Reservoir will be highest point of the system. Does that sound good?

Anyways, here are some pics for now-

IMG_4668.jpg

IMG_4670.jpg

IMG_4671.jpg

Missing component-

http://www.dangerden.com/store/product.php?productid=446&cat=0&page=

Mine is nickel plated top, copper bottom

823283554_nDjif-L-1.jpg

Should be on it's way here soon. Ordered it yesterday.

dreamphantom_1977

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008

dreamphantom_1977

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008

Sorry to hear that. You sure it was the card? I know you need at least 35 amps on the 12+ rail. You need a high end psu to run it.

Anyways hope you get your's RMA'd and get another soon. They are great cards. Everything seems soooooo smooth now. Nvidia did a great job working on getting the minimum frames up. Even when the card does get into the 30's in games like metro 2033 on max settings it still seams smooth as butter. Can't wait to get a 3d setup.

dreamphantom_1977

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008
My other related threads.

what is the Best coolant?

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/258447-29-liquid-cooling-help-coolant

anti-kink coils?

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/258558-29-anti-kink-coil-help

flow diagram?

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/258561-29-does-flow-diagram-good

Best coolant- pump lubrication

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/258484-29-perfect-coolant-pump-lubrication

What caused your leak or water cooling failure?

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/258570-29-water-cooling-caused-leak-water-cooling-failure#t1852355

:bounce: This Main thread :bounce:

To get back here I posted a link in my signature, just click on that, and it will bring you back to this thread.

After I get my last parts, i'll start my build and ill post my pics and everything in this thread.

If anyone has any rogue idea's that hit there brains before I start my build please let me know. Thanks.

Yea it was a faulty card. My Psu has 62a on a single rail (TP 850w). Anyways the Egg is out of stock and it seems like they are not getting new shipments anytime soon.

E-bay has a few 470/480's that are going for almost double price, funny thing is that people are actually shelling out the cash instead of waiting.

Anyways good luck on that WC'ing project, I am eager to see the outcome ;)

dreamphantom_1977

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008
Just checked my email, Danger Den just shipped out my gpu, so I checked the tracking
and it's not scheduled for delivery until Thursday 4/22/2010.
So i'll be putting it all together next Sat or Sun.

I guess that will give me time to figure out how to get some fans.

Thanks for your replies everyone. :)

notty22

Distinguished
Thanks for letting us enjoy your progress. This is great stuff. I love your flow diagram/picture. Keep giving us pictures,progress. I notice some people go with old school metal mini auto clamps. I've seen what looks like a tie strap? Then I've seen something like a silver shrink wrap? What that covers and how it seals I'm unsure.

dreamphantom_1977

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008
I think I'm gonna do my loop different. It doesn't matter where I put my reservoir in the loop right? I was worried about heat damaging the reservoir, but if the water temp is only a few degrees C difference then I can run my reservoir right after the gpu right?

pump >> GPU >> Reservoir >> Radiator 1 >> Radiator 2 >> Back to pump. I think the system would be much easier to bleed that way and it won't need as much tubing. But i'll mount everything in the same place, just hose it in a different order.

Sound good?

dreamphantom_1977

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008
Well today I got my New Danger Den GTX 480 water block in the mail.
I'm not gonna put it all together until this weekend. Still waiting on my
fans to arrive, supposed to be in tomorrow. Just thought I'd post some pics of the block.

Came shipped in two boxes (sorry I threw out the big box at work), this box with gpu block wrapped in saran wrap,
with foam in small box, then small box is inside a huge box with peanuts.
No need to worry about shipping, Danger den packs there stuff very very well.
Oh, also, it arrived two days earlier then it originally was posted on fed ex tracking.
IMG_4708.jpg

It's beautiful isn't it...:)
IMG_4690.jpg

Block came with 1/2" barbs installed.
IMG_4685.jpg

Came with instructions, screws (had to order with it), thermal paste, and thermal tape.
Everything you need to install it. There is also a video on Danger dens website showing
step by step how to remove and install the heatsinks.
IMG_4705.jpg

IMG_4701.jpg

IMG_4707.jpg

Here is a link to more pics.

http://s177.photobucket.com/albums/w237/Dreamphantom_1977/Water%20Cooling%20Kit%204-15-2010/