GTX 580 Matrix(SLI) and ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z

cruc1al

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
Excuse me for asking this here, couldn't decide if it was a video card question or a MOBO???

With the, ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z LGA 1155 Intel Z68, it has 4 PCI slots. I've done some reading and have come to the conclusion that if I bought 2 GTX 580 Matrix's, because of the cooler, they would fit in PCI 1 and PCI 3 Slots. Am I correct with this assumption? Will it have any bearing on GPU or Gaming Performance?

Oh and I will be adding a i7 2600k w/ 16GB of Corsair Vengeance.

Thanks to all that add their input, your putting my mind at ease with your knowledge.

cruc1al

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
I am assuming this would be the configuration. But is it possible to have 2 cards one in PCI 1 slot and another in PCI 4 slot? Or is that just an impossible configuration?

cgwayne1

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010

i'm actually running the maximus with matrix's in sli and the top card gets real hot, 90+ when gaming. the matrix is a nice card but the three slot configuration really mucks up the cooling situation. if i were you i would consider another card for sli. my top card has been all the way up to 97. im thinking about removing one.

CurseUppl

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
I'm actually in a bit of the same fickle as you, Cruc1al, except I haven't bought it yet, but I'm looking at the exact same specs as you.

I'm getting a pair of MSI N580GTX Lightnings (1.5 GB), though, and I'm hoping that the better cooling these cards are supposed to have (from what I can see in reviews) will reduce this problem.

I'm also getting a Lian Li PC-X2000F, which is a MASSIVE tower with 3 14 cm fans blowing air directly over the mobo.

Hoping someone has experience with this :D and any advice.