ReHack

Prominent
Jan 30, 2022
Recently I've been getting very bad framerate and frametime on Rainbow Six Siege, and I believe it's because my GPU is being under utilized, on other games I play like genshin impact or tekken 7, my gpu is being fullly utilized, but somehow, it only has low usage on siege, and because of this my CPU is stuck at 98-100% usage whenever I play siege

Usually I get around 30-50 fps (very stuttery, but sometimes not) if a player is on screen, then I get 60 (micro stutters) if no one's around, then 100 fps (has micro stutters too) on menu, my settings are on low 720p with 90 FOV, I need help cuz I've been so tired finding for solutions and trying them just to not work. Solutions I find are usually for higher end GPUs? like doing something with hardware scheduling or etc. I've tried a lot of stuff but nothing really works, I'm at my wit's end

I'm also a student so major upgrades to my PC are pretty much impossible for me rn
My Specs:
A8-7650k
Gigabyte GTX650 1GB
2x 8GB Kingston DDR3 Ram (1600mhz)
Mobo is an AMD A88

I'm not really thermal throttling either since my temps are fine and normal

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I'm at my wit's end

Rather than spending more nerves on trying to fix the ancient GPU you have, why not go with new GPU?
E.g GTX 1650, that goes for 170 bucks,
amazon: https://www.amazon.com/ZOTAC-GeForce-128-bit-Graphics-ZT-T16520F-10L/dp/B0881YZJ45/

And here is comparison between GTX 650 and GTX 1650,
link: https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-650-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1650/3154vs4039

GTX 1650 can do easy 1080p with medium/high graphics and good, playable FPS.

Though, the rest of your build isn't that great either, but getting better GPU gives you the most benefit, with least amount of money.

ReHack

Prominent
Jan 30, 2022
Actually been looking towards buying a new gpu too, specifically a zotac gtx 1650, but I'll be taking a 2nd hand one since earning is pretty hard for me (don't have much income)

Although while I earn for that, what can I do in the meantime to at least make my gaming experience a little more bearable?

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
what can I do in the meantime to at least make my gaming experience a little more bearable?

Since you're already on low in-game graphical settings, you might be able to reduce the resolution even further.

Other things to do: don't keep loads of programs open. Instead, close/kill all, before launching a game, so that game is essentially only program that you have running.

Your OS drive is what? SSD? HDD?

If HDD, to keep your HDD healthy, always keep at least 20% of HDDs total capacity free. For 1TB drive, that translates into 186GB (since 1TB drive actually has space for 931GB in total).

Also, use disk defragmentation tool about once a month to keep your files on a HDD in nice and proper order. Disk defrag also boosts the HDD read/write speeds at some extent if you have a lot of fragmented files on a HDD.

Back in the day, whe i was using HDDs, i were using MyDefrag, to keep my WD Blue 1TB HDDs healthy,
link: http://www.mydefrag.net/
guide on how to use it: http://sctech.weebly.com/mydefrag.html

I'm not really thermal throttling either since my temps are fine and normal

What is "fine and normal"? :unsure: What degrees Celsius on idle and on load? For CPU and GPU.

Speaking of it, when was the last time you cleaned PC internals from dust?

ReHack

Prominent
Jan 30, 2022
Other things to do: don't keep loads of programs open. Instead, close/kill all, before launching a game, so that game is essentially only program that you have running.

Usually I only have discord running in the background (call with friends), I always make sure to kill other tasks I don't need like closing opera and all the other stuff.

I also have a 240gb ssd for a boot drive btw

ReHack

Prominent
Jan 30, 2022
Also, use disk defragmentation tool about once a month to keep your files on a HDD in nice and proper order. Disk defrag also boosts the HDD read/write speeds at some extent if you have a lot of fragmented files on a HDD.

If I remember correctly, my SSD has 86GB left (it's a 240gb SSD) and my hdd has 102GB left (500gb HDD)

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Power User level means optimization of all programs running and suspending or killing all those that are not needed. Far more than you can see from Task Manager.

For that, there is a neat piece of software called Process Explorer,
link: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

Guide on how to understand it,
link: https://www.howtogeek.com/school/sysinternals-pro/lesson2/

E.g screen of it:

GgNev5v.png

Main window is on the right side. At the top of the window, there are several graph boxes. If you click on any of them, another window opens (left side), that you can click on different tabs for more in-depth info. I've selected the I/O tab. And if you hover over the graph, e.g Disk, it will tell you what is currently going on. On my screen, MBAMService.exe (MalwareBytes Premium) had a small, 8.2 MB Disk Read, with 0 MB Disk Write. (My mouse cursor wasn't captured on screen, but it is there, next to small pop-up.)

Process Explorer is essentially Task Manager, but 10 times better.

Oh, you can also add sys tray icons (bottom right of your taskbar), to monitor your system behavior. I've put CPU usage monitor there (just right of Steam icon), so that when my CPU usage goes up, i can notice it, open up Process Explorer (by clicking on the small taskbar icon) and look what is going on. But you can add other telemetry icons as well, e.g GPU usage, Disk usage etc.

-----

Another piece of software, but on Super User level, is Autoruns64, from which you can dictate which programs start as soon as you start your PC, among other things. Now, Autoruns64 is very high level system optimization software and when Process Explorer is already above your paygrade (read the guide i linked), then i won't be describing on how to use Autoruns64, since you can easily brick your OS with 1 wrong click.

CCleaner is also another Super User level program for system optimization. It is used to remove temporary files (to free up space on disk) and to clean registry from lingering items. Just like Autoruns64, CCleaner can brick your system, if you don't know what you're doing. Since CCleaner deals with Windows registry, i won't suggest you to use it either. Instead, start with Process Explorer, which can already to a lot of things.

-----

And this would be it. On hardware level, you can't do any more optimizations, except buying better hardware. And first steps of software optimization i described (running only game + using Process Explorer for further optimization).

TRENDING THREADS