[SOLVED] GTX 650Ti Boost Max clocks

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JOXXXEP

Prominent
Aug 3, 2021
Specs:
CPU: Intel core 2 Duo E8500 3.16Ghz @stock
GPU: MSI GTX 650TI BOOST OC 2GB BE TF3
RAM: 4GB 800Mhz Samsung 2x2 ( MB MAX )
MB: Foxconn G31MX Motherboard
PSU: FSP 600Watts 85+
Storage: Intel 330 120GB SSD + 1TB WD HDD
Case: Cooler Master Storm Stryker
HSF:Cooler master HYPER 612 2x Fan
Cooling: All Fan slots has fan total of 8 chassis CM fans

Simple questions. Im using Latest drivers + MSI afterburner aswell. I just wanna know why i cant apply my exact preferred clocks to my GPU ( Ex: I put +77 but in game clocks show the same clock then if i use +78 it suddenly jumps to a specific clock )
Plus im stuck to 1202Mhz-Core/1502-Memory. Is that good for a 650ti boost? Or too low? Because i only added +78 to core and stock to memory clocks.
The moment i add more to clock it kept crashing. is it because i reached its max? OR Does my old mobo limiting my gpu clock potential?
Anyways, In-game full load gpu temps never reach 60c and i dont play around voltages. I read it can reduce lifespan.
I know gtx 650ti boost is old but other parts are much older.
ALSO
I cant overclock CPU because when i do it on bios, Mobo only let me overclock cpu by also Overclocking other parts ( RAM, FSB )
And if i do it only let me reach from 3166Mhz TO 3260Mhz ( Forgot exact clock ) cpu clock before it keep reverting to defaults.
Small difference.
Or is it safe to overclock cpu even with RAM and FSB included? Im afraid that if i do something i dont fully understand ( FSB ) i might damage my system.

A lot of thanks in advance to anyone who can help me o even try. I just need some advice and help on this matter.

Note:
I dont have money to buy or upgrade parts for now. Also im aware of the bottleneck. Buuut i only use it for old legends like Skyrim, Far cry 3 etc etc. PC prices too high in my country.

need4speeds

Distinguished
Reactions: JOXXXEP
Solution
We were just hoping it would automatically drop the memory down to 1:1 once the FSB got high enough, since you don't have a manual setting.

The max safe voltage for 45nm chips is 1.45v and I see no reason not to just start there and try reducing it afterwards once a maximum overclock is found. A dualcore E8500 would generally be expected to pull 62w at 3.6GHz, 79w at 3.8GHz and 100w at 4.0GHz so you can do some good overclocking even with a stock quadcore cooler (yes, once upon a time Intel chips actually used less power than their rated TDP). A 4-pin P4 power connector is rated for 10A per pair or 240w, so could even supply a quadcore at those speeds.

The trouble is of course with a low-end motherboard you often don't have that kind of voltage flexibility, and the 30 series chipsets were the first to drop Netburst support otherwise you would have at least 1.5v for Pentium IV.

In any case, ~1255MHz is a good speed for a BIOS-modded Kepler and as your default voltage is nearly as high as the maximum possible via a BIOS mod, it's unsurprising that you are nearly there at stock voltages. The simpler Keplers like the GT710 can often run 1400MHz but yours is essentially half of a GTX680 and the more complex ones just don't clock as high.

Reactions: JOXXXEP

JOXXXEP

Prominent
Aug 3, 2021
Finalized my settings and got the best adjustments/settings my hardware can give me.
This following settings is perfectly stable ( Not a single crash or hangs )

CPU: Overclocked from 3164mhz to 3230Mhz while lowering cpu temperature on an average of 10c lower ( HUGE DIFFERENCE ) than stock using Throttlestop to reduce my cpu voltage from 1.2750 to 1.1000.
Reduced CPU usage from consistent 100% to 93-95% on heavy scenes while gaming and 5% average higher gpu usage now so that little overclock was a big help for me to utilize my gpu more than it can before. Not much difference but still helped. Improved my performance even a tiny bit of 1-2fps. Must be the lower temps or better gpu utilization. Not sure but it worked!
GPU: Core clock stayed at +78 as a total of 1202mhz and Memory clock i decided to let it stay at stock +0 as a total of 3005mhz. Using +100 on memory gives me crash on firewatch so i'll stick on stability. Not much changed but i discovered Rivatuner was giving me wrong voltage monitoring and im actually just using 1.075v on full load instead of previously thought 1.175 on full load. Voltage control is BIOS locked therefore i cannot adjust it in anyway or trick. I cant risk tweaking gpu since i dont have a spare and the reason i came here is for risk reduction pluuus i have no knowledge on bios tweaking so i'll keep that in mind for the future. GPU boost must be playing around my frequency so im only able to adjust slider on specific clocks to take effect but nonetheless still great as it is.
RAM: Stayed on overclocked frequency of 817mhz. Motherboard bios wont let me adjust to previously adviced frequency to reduce latency.
Result i got is the best i got now since there's no way my hardware would let me using bios ( did everything i can available ) plus i dont have much knowledge regarding latency and timings so that is set for future reference/studies of mine when i got the time.

I want to thank you all so much for helping me on this matter. Everyone's advices are appriciated.
Helped me a lot on my questions and discovered other stuff too. Gonna do this on my future pc's aswell !