[SOLVED] GTX 670 4GB SLi vs GTX970

Sep 4, 2019
Guys, I'm kinda low on budget right now but wanted to upgrade my rig one step further,

I have a single and humble EVA GTX 670 FTW 4GB right now, do you think it's better to SLi it (more questions on that as well) or move to a single GTX 970?

In terms of SLi, I didn't find any card with the exact P/N as mine, would the SLi work with another GTX 670 FTW 4GB, but with slightly different base clock specs? Every other spec is the same according to EVGA's website.

Rest of my rig is :
I7 7700K
Corsair Vengeance Lpx C16 8GB x2
ROG Maximus IX Hero
PSU Corsair 500W (might need to upgrade this for SLi???)

Thanks in advance!

Solution
SLI is not worth the hassle these days. I mean to say, SLI is kind of dead in the water. Not many games have proper SLI support. It's also not worth the hassle these days, at least for Gaming. Games don't scale well on a multi-GPU setup.

But what's the main goal/purpose of this PC, GAMING, or doing some other work like Rendering, Video editing ? Multi-GPU setups are becoming obsolete and dead ! Not many GAMES even scale well properly on an SLI or CFX setup, let alone benefit from a multi-gpu setup.

Btw, according to GURU3D, GeForce GTX 670 SLI requires you to have a 750 Watt power supply unit as minimum !
SLI is not worth the hassle these days. I mean to say, SLI is kind of dead in the water. Not many games have proper SLI support. It's also not worth the hassle these days, at least for Gaming. Games don't scale well on a multi-GPU setup.

But what's the main goal/purpose of this PC, GAMING, or doing some other work like Rendering, Video editing ? Multi-GPU setups are becoming obsolete and dead ! Not many GAMES even scale well properly on an SLI or CFX setup, let alone benefit from a multi-gpu setup.

Btw, according to GURU3D, GeForce GTX 670 SLI requires you to have a 750 Watt power supply unit as minimum !

Reactions: felitrin
Solution
Sep 4, 2019

Yup, forgot to mention that main purpose is gaming.

Your feedback is mostly in line with what I've reseached from previous topics, but those were most for 2GB cards and I wanted to make sure that with a 4GB card the advice would be the same.

Wow! I think that would add to another concern I had about SLi: The temperature.

Thanks for the inputs man!

Reactions: Metal Messiah.
Aug 18, 2019
Agree SLI now these days are no longer supported most of the games and all you might want to get a SINGLE Card a Powerful one anyways what's your budget you might even go for a used decent 1080ti or 1070ti with a personal warranty, who knows you might be able to find good cheaper cards.

You may win synthetic FPS benchmarks with SLI.
But, your gaming experience will be better with a good single gpu.
Dual gpu is prone to screen tearing a d stuttering.
As well al the aforementioned lack of support in an increasing number of games.
What is the make/model of your psu?
A quality 500w psu can run a very good nvidia card.
In general count on needing 75w more for a amd card

Sep 4, 2019
What is the make/model of your psu?

It's a Corsair VS500 80 Plus, I was thinking of the GTX970 exactly because (accordingo to Nvidia's website) it's demand for power (145W) is even lower than the GTX 670 (170W) but for the 1070Ti it would increase to ~230W, if I go for it maybe I would need to upgrade the power supply?

anyways what's your budget

I was thinking something between USD 150~200 max... You guys have any suggestion on where to search for a Graphic Card other than Ebay?

Aug 18, 2019
It's a Corsair VS500 80 Plus, I was thinking of the GTX970 exactly because (accordingo to Nvidia's website) it's demand for power (145W) is even lower than the GTX 670 (170W) but for the 1070Ti it would increase to ~230W, if I go for it maybe I would need to upgrade the power supply?

I was thinking something between USD 150~200 max... You guys have any suggestion on where to search for a Graphic Card other than Ebay?

Hmmm i see well you can look for used GPU like 1070 Ti that's been used since you're going for a used GTX 970 why not, the performance is significantly way more higher and upgrade your PSU would also be a benefit on your end I think we can find cheaper give me a couple of hours for me to research I am currently at work so browsing on a different website is prohibited.