GTX 670 fps drops problem

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

is3

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012

No, exactly. Processor was only symptom too. Motherboard was problem. VRM was overheating because it was build only for 95W processors and my is 125W. I changed motherboard to ASUS M5A97 Pro and problem is resolved. And also bought another fans to case.

is3

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012

My PSU is Corsair too :) TX650
And you were almost right it was overheating only component was not Graphic card or processor, but it was MB.

Thank you all for your time and advises.

The Dark Lord

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008

Try changing the power saving setting in NV control panel to prefer max performance, it looks kepler's driver is not very stable in power management department.

The Dark Lord

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008

Try changing the power saving setting in NV control panel to prefer max performance, it looks kepler's driver is not very stable in power management department.

justFlow

Honorable
May 26, 2012
I´d like to tell another story, which could be helpful for the community:

I experienced major FPS drops, too when playing games like civ5 which demands GPU and CPU as well. Usually (and now) this game runs constantly at > 60 fps. FPS were dropping after a few minutes to < 20. All temperatures I monitored (CPU, GPU, MB from Asus FAN Xpert 2) were quite just well (< 50° C, < 75° C, < 40° C). So I didn't think about a temperature problem. The same problem exists under an entirely new OS (Win XP x64). I tried several display driver versions as well.
So it seems that there were no indicators for this huge FPS drop! The only thing which catched my eye after some time was the power consumption of my graphic card (% TDP, GPU-Z). It falls partially beneath 25 %. So I thought: Could be the PSU. I´v never had any problems with that one so far.

But thanks to the post from is3 it dawned on me ... so many thx for the hint, dude!! Did take me weeks and dozens of threads to figure out!

Some weeks ago I was changing my inner workings of my machine and in the course of this I switched to an all-in-one hybrid hydro CPU cooler (Antec H20 620) - besides a turned of most of the case fans, because I love silence - In consequence of that the indirect cooling of the VRMs besides the CPU sockel dropped out and it seems that these little MOSFETs got to hot!

So my solution was quite simple: Open the case! (Or buy two NB-eLoops and build a strong air-tunnel respectively)

Lessons learned:
- Never turn of all your case fans
- Monitor ALL of your temps with an appropriate program like HWMonitor
(and know how to interprete them, especially the motherboard sensors, there are several ones)
- Begin by considering all possibilities (if u know them)

EDIT:
Random drops returned after a while :(
In the end after some more testing it turned out the graphic card is to blaime for all the hick-hack. I´ve tested that out with a new Gigabye GTX 670 OC and the issue ended in smoke ... so card goes back. Sorry 4 all the confusion o_O

---
CPU: Core i5 3550 @ 4.1GHz
MB: ASUS P8Z77-V
GPU: Gigabye GTX 670 Windforce 3X
PSU: Tagan PipeRock TG700-BZ
RAM: 2x 4GiB G.Skill RipJaws DDR3 @ 2133MHz 11 11 11 30
HDD: 2x Samsung 128GB @ Raid 0
CASE: Antec Twelve Hundred

McEd

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012
Hay, I am using a GeForce GTX 460M graphics card and My computer keeps dropping frame rate a lot when there is something with particles(explosions, smoke, mist,etc.), I thought my graphics card was not up too date but even games like TF2 when there are an explosion of the tractor thing in the co-op mode drops frame rate a lot.

-I decremented my stuff
-Reinstalled operating system
-Updated my Invidia drivers

Is it just a bad graphics card or what?

hihiip201

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012
Same thing happen to my hd 7950 and 660 ti i had before.

but the 7950 also have high temp problem, while 660 ti max load only reach 69c, 7950 reach all the way to 80 c. no idea why.