Shinigami187

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2011
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tDpXr6

My current build and what i want to do is find an upgrade from my GTX 960 and mainly want to just focus on 1080p High to Ultra settings on my ultra-wide monitor. Budget is around $200-220 tops and plan to upgrade sometime next month and wanted to know what would be the best value for my money or just best over all for this price bracket. Not loyal to any one company just as long as the video card isn't a heater lol.

Feb 6, 2019
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tDpXr6

My current build and what i want to do is find an upgrade from my GTX 960 and mainly want to just focus on 1080p High to Ultra settings on my ultra-wide monitor. Budget is around $200-220 tops and plan to upgrade sometime next month and wanted to know what would be the best value for my money or just best over all for this price bracket. Not loyal to any one company just as long as the video card isn't a heater lol.
Good build. The RX 580 is reasonable but I am not sure he will handle well ultra settings (if we are talking about new games)

Shinigami187

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2011
Good build. The RX 580 is reasonable but I am not sure he will handle well ultra settings (if we are talking about new games)

Which would be fine for me as long as it can do high, i'm ok with that. I've been leaning towards the RX 580 myself as well NEW of course because i want those free games lol. Assuming that the offer will still continue by next month.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
My son's computer is using an RX 580 8GB on 2560x1440 (EDIT: 2560x1080 . . . Because my brain and typing fingers were clearly not talking to each other when I first wrote this). Depending on the game, it won't necessarily maintain 60fps with the details maxed, or on some, even on high. Some games, however, it runs easily more than that.

Do you have a FreeSync monitor? My son's monitor is, so we set the Chill to run from 30-60.

Still, in terms of performance per dollar, it's hard to go wrong with an RX 580 8GB. The RX 570 performs less, but sometimes has some pretty impressive sales, though I'd probably suggest that for no better than mid-level settings at that resolution.

But, sales come around for the 580 as well.

Here's the current prices for all RX 580s sorted by price (in the US) - though I'd STRONGLY recommend the 8GB, as they tend to be only slightly more than the 4GB. You can click on the 8GB filter in the left column.

Also, I'd recommend avoiding the MSI RX 580 8G V1, as that cooler looks extremely inadequate. I could be wrong, but I wouldn't be comfortable with it.

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#c=391&sort=price

Last edited:

Shinigami187

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2011
My son's computer is using an RX 580 8GB on 2560x1440. Depending on the game, it won't necessarily maintain 60fps with the details maxed, or on some, even on high. Some games, however, it runs easily more than that.

Do you have a FreeSync monitor? My son's monitor is, so we set the Chill to run from 30-60.

Still, in terms of performance per dollar, it's hard to go wrong with an RX 580 8GB. The RX 570 performs less, but sometimes has some pretty impressive sales, though I'd probably suggest that for no better than mid-level settings at that resolution.

But, sales come around for the 580 as well.

Here's the current prices for all RX 580s sorted by price (in the US) - though I'd STRONGLY recommend the 8GB, as they tend to be only slightly more than the 4GB. You can click on the 8GB filter in the left column.

Also, I'd recommend avoiding the MSI RX 580 8G V1, as that cooler looks extremely inadequate. I could be wrong, but I wouldn't be comfortable with it.

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#c=391&sort=price

If you saw my pcpartpicker link it would show that i do have a free sync monitor (75hz) at 2560x1080 so i think it would benefit me pretty good since i cant do 1440p with it. Rx 580 8g is what i was aiming for and not sure if its worth waiting for NAVI or just buy next month unless it's coming out really soon.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Well, since it's going to be a month before you buy, that gives you a month to see:
1 - whether or not any better sales come up for the RX 580, or even other video cards
2 - whether any more solid information comes up about Navi.

I'm guessing that whatever the rumors say about Navi's release, it's going to be several months past that.

Shinigami187

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2011
Well, since it's going to be a month before you buy, that gives you a month to see:
1 - whether or not any better sales come up for the RX 580, or even other video cards
2 - whether any more solid information comes up about Navi.

I'm guessing that whatever the rumors say about Navi's release, it's going to be several months past that.

Agreed and by next month i'll be able to have a clearer picture of it all. Thank you :)

Reactions: King_V

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Recommend you get a GTX 1060 6GB

I wouldn't. Poor price/performance ratio relative to the RX 580. Plus, it's not on Nvidia's very short, guaranteed G-Sync list. It'll probably work, don't get me wrong, but no guarantees.

That said, in its favor, the GTX 1060 has a lower power draw.

Any which way, more money for the same or very slightly lesser performance than the RX 580 8GB.

Shinigami187

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2011
I wouldn't. Poor price/performance ratio relative to the RX 580. Plus, it's not on Nvidia's very short, guaranteed G-Sync list. It'll probably work, don't get me wrong, but no guarantees.

That said, in its favor, the GTX 1060 has a lower power draw.

Any which way, more money for the same or very slightly lesser performance than the RX 580 8GB.

i was actually thinking of getting the new GTX 1660 but for that much, i can get a used GTX 1070 for less which to me is a no brainer and a better value unless the 10-series is already close to end of life. Seeing some benchmarks and it still seems to be going strong with recent AAA games.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
i was actually thinking of getting the new GTX 1660 but for that much, i can get a used GTX 1070 for less which to me is a no brainer and a better value unless the 10-series is already close to end of life. Seeing some benchmarks and it still seems to be going strong with recent AAA games.

Having just seen the review, yeah, the GTX 1660 is what I'd recommend for 1920x1080 or 2560x1080. But, if you can get a 1070 for notably less than a 1660, it's definitely worth considering, though the usual cautions about used cards apply.