GTX 960 Idle Temp 54 Celsius

Aditya_2

Reputable
Aug 31, 2015
Well im doing a test right now, i have a open case with no fan...

My GTX 960 is heating up to 54 Celsius, Is this normal? I'm not running any program, just MIS after burner and google chrome.

Solution
Download MSI Afterburner. And setup the fan profile to run the fans like this:

40% at 45c
50% at 60c
65% at 70c
70% at 75c
80% at 80c
100% at 85c.

Then click the checkbox that allows Afterburner to control the GPU fans at all times.

What happens is that companies ship out their video cards with the fans set to almost silent profiles. They do this because some people are sensitive to fan noise, and will return cards they can hear. Some reviewers will also give low scores to cards that can be heard. So in order to get the cards to start cooling the GPU before they get too hot, we have to change the fan cooling profile.

xghoststrike

Reputable
Feb 19, 2015
Well that depends on a lot of other variables.

How many monitors are you using?
What size are they?
What resolution are they?
What brand is the graphics card?
- Is it one of the cards that has inactive fans till 60-65 degrees for silent performance?
What's your rome temp?
Where is the caser located?
- On the desk or under desk?
And by open case, do you mean that is the design of it, or did you take side panels off?

Download MSI Afterburner. And setup the fan profile to run the fans like this:

40% at 45c
50% at 60c
65% at 70c
70% at 75c
80% at 80c
100% at 85c.

Then click the checkbox that allows Afterburner to control the GPU fans at all times.

What happens is that companies ship out their video cards with the fans set to almost silent profiles. They do this because some people are sensitive to fan noise, and will return cards they can hear. Some reviewers will also give low scores to cards that can be heard. So in order to get the cards to start cooling the GPU before they get too hot, we have to change the fan cooling profile.

Solution

Aditya_2

Reputable
Aug 31, 2015

I'm using only 1 monitor the resolution is 1080P and yes it's the GPU that the fan only turns on when it hits 60 degrees . when I tweek the fan to always run, the gpu only hits 42 degrees .

but the question is, based on my reaserch the GTX 960 on idle is around 42 degrees, but i don't know is it with the fan on or the fan off... I'm worried that there is something wrong with my card

xghoststrike

Reputable
Feb 19, 2015

OP said in response to me "yes it's the GPU that the fan only turns on when it hits 60 degrees . when I tweek the fan to always run, the gpu only hits 42 degrees ."

So he does have fans on already with msi afterburner . His fan curve just may not be that high.

Aditya_2

Reputable
Aug 31, 2015

Sorry I'm veryy noob at GPU, so the way my GPU works is that it waits until it hits 60 degrees then it turns it's fan to cool it of until it get cool enough then it turns oof its fan again and wait again until it hits 60 degrees and so on?

xghoststrike

Reputable
Feb 19, 2015

That is why you have high temps :p

timwuzhere

Commendable
May 24, 2016

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU, I created an account on here just to thank you for this solution, I was wondering why my GPU was getting so hot and now thanks to you its fixed. Thank you so much.