Question GTX 970 Upgrade for Gaming and Design Rendering

NovaTronMC

Honorable
Aug 2, 2014
Hi! Last year I got myself a Ryzen 7 2700X as an upgrade from a i7 4820k I used for several years, as well as some RAM and a new Mobo. However, I didn't get to upgrade my GTX 970 due to some budget reasons. It's been a while from then and I may now be able to afford a new GPU, but I wanted to hear from the wise some recommendations to best fit my needs. I game quite a lot, from games such as Fortnite to Wither 3, so as far as I know, I do require decent power. But also, lately i've been using quite a bit of design software to render, such as VRay, Autodesk Maya and 3DS Max, Rhino 6, and some others. I currently use a 1080p monitor, which im planning to upgrade to a 1440p 144Hz monitor (Some software kinda hates 4k, so I prefer to avoid it), so my question is: Which GPU could be a good option to get? (considering the aforementioned "needs"), and should I go for 1440p or better to stay in 1080p?

NovaTronMC

Honorable
Aug 2, 2014
What's your budget? That dictates everything.

Also, does your software have a gpu manufacturer preference? Some software performs better on AMD or Nvidia.
My budget goes around 500 to 750 USD, considering that I live in Mexico and shipping costs tend to be quite expensive. Also, I do believe Nvidia GPUs do way better on these programs, I've heard AMD drivers bug in specific software, so Nvidia it is.

I picked up a used 1070ti from Ebay and it's so far handled everything I've thrown at it (1080p gaming with everything turned up, as well as some CAD/design software). Huge upgrade from my 970, which although it lasted me several years, was beginning to feel underpowered.

NovaTronMC

Honorable
Aug 2, 2014
I picked up a used 1070ti from Ebay and it's so far handled everything I've thrown at it (1080p gaming with everything turned up, as well as some CAD/design software). Huge upgrade from my 970, which although it lasted me several years, was beginning to feel underpowered.
Great hearing this from a GTX 970 user as well, but is ebay that trustworthy? I've been doubty towards that site for years, don't know what to think about it.

When it comes to gaming, the killer will be when you upgrade to 1440p/144Hz. What would be easy for a card on 1080p (I am assuming 60Hz, as you didn't say) can bring a card to its knees when you try to push the same or higher frame rates on a higher resolution monitor.

This is something to consider, unless you're willing to turn down details, or limit the refresh/fps. Though, it does depend on which games you're playing.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS