gtx1060 in August 2018?

May 17, 2018
Hello freaks

I have a 2600k@4.4 and am playing games with a 1050 Ti Gaming from MSI atm.
In sale I could get a brand new 1060 6GB G1 Gaming from Gigabyte for 284$. Is that a good price?

The 300$ is kind of my limit. For a 2 year old technology..

My question is if I should wait for the rtx2060. But I doubt it will be as cheap and I don't need that ray tracing thingy. What's your thoughts? Will it be much faster or just support ray tracing in addition to similar perfomance?

Thanks!

Solution
In my opinion, wait for a while. Honestly, the prices are still disappointing. You will read many articles and comments that say there are price drops, best offers, Nvidia's made to gain offers (sry, I meant to say made to game) or AMD's raise the gain (sry again, I meant to say raise the game) etc... but if you looked at it from the perspective of the technology time-line, as you mentioned 2 years for Nvidia's 10 series is a lot, and the fact that Nvidia new RTX series will be on shelves next month, starting with the RTX 2080 ti and 2080 and the rest of the cards will follow later on, makes it even more difficult to buy an older generation with the current prices.

On the other hand, AMD will need to respond to this new generation of...

zallim

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2015
In my opinion, wait for a while. Honestly, the prices are still disappointing. You will read many articles and comments that say there are price drops, best offers, Nvidia's made to gain offers (sry, I meant to say made to game) or AMD's raise the gain (sry again, I meant to say raise the game) etc... but if you looked at it from the perspective of the technology time-line, as you mentioned 2 years for Nvidia's 10 series is a lot, and the fact that Nvidia new RTX series will be on shelves next month, starting with the RTX 2080 ti and 2080 and the rest of the cards will follow later on, makes it even more difficult to buy an older generation with the current prices.

On the other hand, AMD will need to respond to this new generation of Nvidia by reducing the prices on the current RX 500 and Vega cards in order to have some sort of competition. In addition, AMD's current generation is also not new as the RX 500 is a re-brand for the 400 series, which is also 2 years old.

I would suggest to keep an eye on AMD cards, the current AMD game bundle is okay. However, the prices on the cards need to get lower, and even if there are product discounts and extras, They are still far from being a good deals.

As for the RTX 2060, I don't think that it will fall under 300$, and the "actual" performance of the announced RTX cards is still unknown, so we will have to wait until at least the release of the RTX 2080 ti and 2080 so that we can get a concrete idea of what Nvidia's 20 series is truly capable of. If the results are outstanding, only then I would advise you to consider waiting for the RTX 2060.

In any case, I see that the GTX 1050 ti you currently have is good enough, my GPU broke a while ago and I am using a 7100 GS as a spare until prices get better, so I suggest that you save your money for now. The current prices of the GTX 1060 are ridiculous even with the Destiny 2 bundle, and it doesn't seem that it will get any better until they are done with selling the 10 series high end cards. Anyways, the decision is yours.

Solution